PDA

View Full Version : HTC Desire GPS

cuvier100
26th April 2010, 02:01 PM
Managed to get my paws on the new HTC Desire from Telstra last week. Its launched in all Telstra shops on the 27th April 2010.

First impressions are it is impressive.

Love the weather radar and spirt level apps.

The GPS does not work and HTC/Telstra advised today that they are working on a fix which shoud be tested and available by the end of this week as a software upgrade.

But for some reason the GPS will work with Google Maps.

Can't wait to test out Garmin, Destinator, NDrive and Copilot.

Hopefully OziCE and MemoryMap are not too far away for the Andriod platform.

Mike

Nicko
26th April 2010, 03:23 PM
Not sure why you would want Memorymap and OziCE..... Maybe the Google Maps work on the GSM network by triangulation?

Tell me how well it works outside of the GSM network and you are out bush.

cuvier100
26th April 2010, 06:11 PM
To use the topo 1:25K and 1:50K maps.

Mike

DeepFraught
29th April 2010, 12:31 AM
Is the only difference with this version the 3G 850MHz band that is what NextG works on? Any physical cues/identifier of the different models on the outside?

cuvier100
30th April 2010, 08:30 PM
Is the only difference with this version the 3G 850MHz band that is what NextG works on? Any physical cues/identifier of the different models on the outside?. The only HTC Desire you can buy in Australia is the Next G version. It is also unlocked and supports other 2G and 3G frequencies.

Mike

DeepFraught
30th April 2010, 08:59 PM
Looks like you're not the only person:

There appears to be a common fault in the Telstra-spec HTC Desire GPS function. I purchased one and discovered that none of the GPS-dependant functions operate properly. Trying to return the unit, I discovered that Telstra considers itself above NSW office of fair trading rules on return of defective merchandise. Telstra have now admitted that there are many customer complaints and HTC is working on a fix "some time in the future". I'd advise avoiding this like the plague until the GPS functions are fixed.

(from the comments of "casey" to this article)
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/172696,telstra-rushes-out-the-htc-desire.aspx

I'm keen to hear what you can do with the HTC Desire for GPS functions.
I'm coming off of an E71 with Garmin Mobile XT that I used with great enjoyment for the past 3 months, until I had my phone stolen this week.

cuvier100
11th May 2010, 10:08 PM
Telstra and HTC notified buyers of the GPS problem on 25 April and posted a GPS fix late on 30 April 2010. It now works and get a 3D sat fix in less than 10-15 seconds. Its significantly quicker than the 3 other GPS devices I have. It even locks on in the house under a concrete tile roof.

I have evaluated the following GPS programs:

Google Maps (Beta version): You need a data link to cache the maps before the trip. If you loose Next G signal it has the maps for the planned trip but it cannot help you if you change direction. It supports text to speech. The only problem is that it tells you the name of the street after you turn into it. I assume Google will fix this when it is released in Australia.

NDrive (Trial version): Good program but does not provide text to speech. Still not comparable, in my opinion with Garmin and Tom Tom.

I plan to wait until Tom Tom or Garmin release an Andriod version.

Mike

Nicko
12th May 2010, 09:48 AM
Or TwoNav version ;)

This is the whole point, you can buy a Nokia phone (specific models) and get the maps supplied free without the cost of downloading....

cuvier100
12th May 2010, 07:51 PM
Nicko,

Is a TwoNav version available for the Andriod platform or on the horizon?

Mike

Nicko
12th May 2010, 08:45 PM
I will find out

Nicko
13th May 2010, 08:54 AM
Not looking at having an Android possibly until last quarter

cuvier100
13th May 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks. Look forward to it.

Mike

scanman
30th June 2010, 12:59 PM
Hi.
I have had a HTC desire now only a couple of weeks, and only today decided to give Copilot a run. Not a bad piece of software, and probably the only decent legit one you can get on Android market for Australia. Had a bit of trouble finding speed cam and red light cam POIs for it, but there is a solution out there, and it works well now. Would like to see more voices for it.
Over all the Desire has a very fast locking GPS. Takes almost no time to lock on and 'warm up' unlike other phones I have owned.

cuvier100
30th June 2010, 07:21 PM
Co Pilot Live 8 also supports text to speech but the voice quality is very poor. Drives you up the wall. Also the maps on my version are out of date whne compared to IGO or Garmin.

Mike

festy
11th October 2010, 11:03 AM
Hopefully OziCE and MemoryMap are not too far away for the Andriod platform.

OziCE is coming, but no word when just yet - see http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/faq_os.html

"Android
Development is in progress, we do not have a release date for the 1st beta version yet, most likely before the end of this year."

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/ozi_android.png

While you're waiting for it to be released, check out yozi - http://code.google.com/p/yozi/
It's free and supports loading ozf maps etc, but currently lacks tracks support.

Nicko
11th October 2010, 01:07 PM
OMG it's Festy!

:wave

festy
11th October 2010, 01:22 PM
Ahh, you noticed my absence then?

I just got back from darwin, we did 10k kms in a bit under 5 weeks so didn't have much of an opportunity to get near a computer ;)

Nicko
11th October 2010, 01:29 PM
sorry for the OT but Festy your last post was back in July ;) Anyway, great to see you're back.

festy
11th October 2010, 01:39 PM
July? I didn't realize that I hadn't had anything interesting to say for so long :O
I've been here, but just lurking or so it appears :sick3

stephenb465
21st October 2011, 08:52 AM
GPS question with HTC phone

never had or used a smart phone so I'm very new

What I'm after is a GPS that will work when I'm out of range of the mob towers, I work in PNG and plan to do a bush walk for 12 days and would like to map my way.

I have a Australia sim, but I travel a lot overseas and use other counties sim, (cheaper)
So my question is:
will HTC Desire work for me
if I purchase Optus/Telstra, can it be unlocked

Thanks

Stephen

Redtail
21st October 2011, 10:35 AM
The HTC Desire and Desire HD will pick up GPS when not in range of the phone network. It's quicker to locate if it has network contact, but not essential. And once it's located, it's fine.

12 days? Battery would only last one day. You'll need to be able to charge it somehow.

New Guinea - I'm thinking humid, clouds, lots of forest/jungle cover can mess with the signal. You may be better off with a dedicated GPS that takes standard batteries, is waterproof, and can survive being dropped. My eTrex gets 3 - 5 days out of a pair of AA's. I turn it off when I stop for the night, and back on in the morning.

cuvier100
22nd October 2011, 07:39 AM
I agree, After being in the Solomon Islands you will need a purpose built GPS which is water proof.