PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to PDA GPS

Scrubs
16th June 2006, 03:02 PM
As mentioned in the title I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to my PDA....

I know there are many differnent threads on all the differents systems, software etc and to be frank it has confused me senseless...

So would be very greatfull to anyone who can tell me what my best option might be.

I have a hp2210 PDA (with Bluetooth) but will be running a SDIO GPS (SD solt) Reciever. I don't have any software or really know where to download it.

I am wanting to use it for some city navigation altough not heaps as I know my way around and in my brothers 4x4 when we go to Fraser Is. etc.

Where do I start??????

Many thanks,
Scrubs

P.S if I have left any details out about let me know and I will find them out.

arthurking83
16th June 2006, 09:22 PM
Howdy, and welcome to GPSaus :action-sm

OziCE is possibly the best app for running maps for 4WDing, but not "the best" for city navigating though, unless you fully understand "How the Crow flies!" :D

I do it(sometimes) but it's not as practical when working as a courier ;)
The magellan is though!!

You'll need some kind of destinator/navigator/co-pilot software for better city nav.

But OziCE and Oziexplorer are great for loading you're normal paper map type of maps onto the PDA.
(that's far more practical for me, as I can see my street directory on the PDA screen :D)
The data on the street directory images is clearer and more comprehensive than on the maps(vector based) you get with the city nav apps.

I reckon the data sources for raster map images, the kind that Ozi (and OziCE) uses, are far better than the vector based kind that you get with a handheld GPS (or for city nav software apps as above)

horses for courses,

..... and what kind of budget($$) are you planning?

:)

Scrubs
16th June 2006, 11:41 PM
..... and what kind of budget($$) are you planning?

:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome arthurking83...

To be honest I am not to sure.... I realise if I am going to spend the $$$ I may aswell but a real GPS... but as I have this perfeclty good PDA and SDIO sitting around and not getting used I thought I might start off with it..

hate to ask sooooooo many questions but what are your thoughts???

* Try and Sell the PDA and buy a decent system?

Scrubs..

arthurking83
16th June 2006, 11:58 PM
PDA and compatible GPS is a perfectly useable combo...no need to spend more money on hardware.

OziCE is worth the money!!

There are lots of freeware stuff too.

Can't think.....I'm tired and it's 1AM (nearly off to bed!! :eek: 1 hour before normal :D)

check out VisualGPSce (http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm), if only to get the communication working....it's kinda geeky, and I only really used it for NMEA logging, but found the files end up TOO! big.
OziCE is better (detailed and more compact).

hopefully others will soon post some of the links to their fave PDA software..... ;)

:sleeping-

Scrubs
17th June 2006, 12:03 AM
PDA and compatible GPS is a perfectly useable combo...no need to spend more money on hardware.

OziCE is worth the money!!

There are lots of freeware stuff too.

Can't think.....I'm tired and it's 1AM (nearly off to bed!! :eek: 1 hour before normal :D)

check out VisualGPSce (http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm), if only to get the communication working....it's kinda geeky, and I only really used it for NMEA logging, but found the files end up TOO! big.
OziCE is better (detailed and more compact).

hopefully others will soon post some of the links to their fave PDA software..... ;)

:sleeping-

Yeah I am starting to wonder why I am up this late...
Thanks for your help though!!

Will check out your suggestions when I am feeling fresh.

thanks again!!

ed.
17th June 2006, 10:13 AM
I have 3 software loaded on my PDA.
GPSTuner (for geocaching)
Tomtom (for everyday suburban driving; loaded with speed/redlight cameras :D)
OziCE (for when I go offroad)