PDA

View Full Version : mapsource help!!

jutstar
24th May 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi im trying to use my nuvi 265w with mapsource.
Im running shonky full topo. When im trying to select device with the auto detect im getting a msg to check interface is on host or garmin. Im not sure what this means.
I know my cable works as i can access my sd cards for photos
and my garmin account works...
Please help me !!!!

Jutstar

Smouch
25th May 2010, 10:10 AM
What are you trying to do with mapsource? as I dont think the 265 has Garmin interface mode only USB mass storage mode.

jutstar
25th May 2010, 06:40 PM
I just want to use it with topo maps for 4x4ing as it shows all the tracks. Does this mean i just save the maps and copy to the sd card???
Cheers for your help..

Smouch
25th May 2010, 08:40 PM
mapsource should detect the SD memory card and save your shonky map as gmapsupp.img to the cards /garmin directory. Be wary first though that there is no other map on the SD called 'gmapsupp.img' before transfer as this will get overwritten. I do not have a 265w myself but this is the way the system works for 95% of other Garmin units.

You may have already read it but Wahroonga Farms helpful intro into GPS covers this topic under his 'mapsource section' and tries to simplify many other aspects of GPS.
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?p=51066#post51066

jutstar
25th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your help.
I ran the install file for the shonky topo maps to the drive that the computer recognises as the garmin. Then turned off the aust nz map. It shows a map of wa but no detail of the tracks just main rds.
ill try what you said and see if thats better.
Thanks again.

jutstar
25th May 2010, 09:12 PM
I just checked the files on the gps and it has a file for shonky maps with all the .img files for contours, details ect...
so one last question(sorry)
How do i get it to show the map in detail????????
Thanks again..

Jutstar

Nicko
25th May 2010, 09:27 PM
go into settings, map and map detail and set to most or highest

jutstar
25th May 2010, 10:31 PM
Hi nicko,
I tried that and got no love!!!!!

I then uninstalled shonky maps to find out it wasn't working anyways thats why I had no detail..

Whan i go to map setting and turn off the aust nz map there is no listing of any others, witch makes me think ive not installed shonky right.
Im now trying to install it to the sd card not the nuvi drive.
I thought that by installing it on the nuvi icon was the sd card...opps
so still stumped!!!!

Nicko
25th May 2010, 11:34 PM
A thousand times, do not install additional maps on a Nuvi, put it on an SD card in a sub-folder called Garmin

res.q.guy
26th May 2010, 06:21 AM
"A thousand times, do not install additional maps on a Nuvi, put it on an SD card in a sub-folder called Garmin"

Hi, just wondering why not ? What is the problem with doing it ?
I have had T4A Pro and Shonky on my Nuvi 660 hard drive for a couple of years now, without any problems, and leaves the SD slot free, for other maps, music and photo's etc.
Cheers
Neil

The Explorer
26th May 2010, 12:14 PM
"A thousand times, do not install additional maps on a Nuvi, put it on an SD card in a sub-folder called Garmin"

Hi, just wondering why not ? What is the problem with doing it ?
I have had T4A Pro and Shonky on my Nuvi 660 hard drive for a couple of years now, without any problems, and leaves the SD slot free, for other maps, music and photo's etc.
Cheers
Neil

Hi

I think it is a warning directed at newbies who may overwrite existing installed maps (with no backup) by mistake given the limited file naming options for map sets. It is obviously not a problem if you know what you are doing.

Cheers
Greg

res.q.guy
26th May 2010, 12:37 PM
Yes, I definitely agree, you must know what you are doing, and have back ups, before doing anything at all, with the Nuvi's hard drive. I thought for a moment, there was something I had missed !!!!!!
Cheers
Neil

jutstar
26th May 2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks again ...and yes total newby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hatoff

jutstar
27th May 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi can you pleae give more details on the file naming on the sd card. I cant get it to read it on the nuvi.

Im not having much luck!!!. I ran the set up into a file named garmin after reformating it to fat 32
as well as remaning the sd card garmin.

Thanks again Jutstar

Smouch
27th May 2010, 11:30 PM
ok no probs....

1. Firstly the shonkymaps_3.51.zip file is to be installed on your main computer http://shonkylogic.net/download/shonkymaps_3.51.zip.
2.then open mapsource and bring up "shonky full topo"
3. zoom out to say 700km and using the 'map tool' click+drag+hold over the whole of Australia which will turn the selected tiles yellow and then fade to pink after you release the mouse button - if you do it correctly will highlight 366 or so map tiles.
4. to transfer these tiles to the SD card press 'send to device'
5. a window will pop up, then press 'Find Device'
6 your Nuvi's SD card will be found, select it and press 'Send'....
this will bring all the selected tiles together automatically under the one file called 'gmapsupp.img' and it will be saved into a directory called /garmin on your nuvi's SD card. If your card is blank I think it should create the proper structure

I know its pretty tricky when you first start out and nothing seems to be working out... especially with computers.

jutstar
28th May 2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you so much !!!!!!!

I had given up on the whole idea and thought i would use the good old map.

Thanks again for the post !!
it was slapping me in the face with what to do i just had it wrong in my head
cheers again from one thankfull newbie!!!! :mighty :mighty