PDA

View Full Version : Deleting and Adding Maps to Garmin Road Trip (Mac)

ebw
28th May 2010, 02:00 PM
This is about me trying to manage maps with Garmin RoadTrip on my Apple Mac with OSX 10.4. I use a Garmin etrex Vista HCx for hiking and mountain bike cycling.

I have found answers to most questions raised in my last post. Garmin RoadTrip sure is odd. It started with trying to install some OSM tiles for Switzerland. Once selected, email for download received, downloaded, installed with MapInstall...the new file is there in the folder ...Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps.

But how do I successfully delete a map, and make a new map appear in the RoadTrip list of maps installed?

I have deleted a map in the folder ...Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps but when I reopen RoadTrip it is still there, I can open it etc etc. Amazing!

Also surprising, a new map in the folder is NOT available on RoadTrip. Which is why I wonder where RoadTrip hides the map I deleted and why the new map in the folder does not appear. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

jcd
29th May 2010, 07:38 AM
Which Library directory are you looking in ? There is a Library directory at the top level of your hard disk and a Library directory in your User Folder. I just checked my RoadTrip setup and all my maps sit in the Library directory which is situated in my User Folder.

Bye Jeff.

ebw
29th May 2010, 02:39 PM
All my maps are also in the user/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps folder. There are currently these six maps in the folder:
Contours Australia V2.00.gmap
Germany Rhine OSM.gmap ....with around 15 tiles
Shonky Full Topo.gmap
shonky Large Scale.gmap
Shonky Transparent Contours.gmap
Swiss West OSM.gmap ........with around 10 tiles

The German and Swiss maps are installed from the OSM download, but I have renamed them so as the installation always calls every map from PSM 'OSM World Routable' meaning it would show a number of the same file names with different content. The strange thing is that it makes no difference to what RoadTrip uses when opening. RoadTrip persists in showing in the top right pull down box, and they can all be selected:
Shonky Full Topo
shonky Large Scale
Contours Australia V.20
US Basemap V.2
OSM World Routable ..which has only one tile

the last is a Swiss tile that I got there when all this started and I have no idea what I did to get it there! But I have deleted that file (one tile) from the folder and it just should not be available in RoadTrip as far as I am aware.

Is this weird or not?

jcd
29th May 2010, 08:36 PM
I've just checked my map files and the name that shows up in RoadTrip and doesn't correlate with the file name. I suspect that the name that shows up in RoadTrip is embedded in the actual file somewhere. In fact if you right-click (control-click) on one of the .gmap files and choose the "Show Package Contents", you can see the files that go to making up the map package. There is an info.xml file which you can view with a text editor (like TextWrangler) and it looks like it has the name that shows up in RoadTrip as well as some other info. In theory you should be able to edit the name of the product (it is contained between the <Name> </Name> tags) and save it. You may also want to check the product ID and make sure all your maps have different ID's, otherwise RoadTrip may get confused.

I'm not sure this helps with the problem you mentioned of deleting the file and it still showing up in RoadTrip but it may be worth your while cleaning out all the maps except the Base one and seeing how that affects RoadTrip. Then return the maps back one by one and see if they show up properly.

Good Luck.

Bye Jeff.

ebw
30th May 2010, 02:00 PM
This was really helpful! I did get TextWrangler and as you said, 'inside' it is still called <Name>OSM World Routable</Name>. This is now easy to change.

What I have not figured out is this: why does RoadTrip still read/display/allow access to a map that is deleted from the user/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps folder? It seems strange that there should not be a way to delete maps directly from RoadTrip.

By the way, I am documenting this for future reference and will post it once all is sorted out!

ebw
30th May 2010, 07:49 PM
To remove maps from RoadTrip on a Mac the following is required:
1.Close Roadtrip
2.Open finder and navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps
2.Drag the map you don't want to the trash. Empty the trash if you want the map to be gone forever.
Otherwise RoadTrip will mysteriously ‘find’ the map and reload it when you open it next time. To do this successfully I also had to delete all other previously loaded (and renamed, but not renamed in the info.xml file that ‘envelops’ the *.gmap file). I think I may finally have cracked this….
I will now run a series of trials naming, renaming, loading and deleting maps to see if all this can be done systematically.

jcd
30th May 2010, 08:03 PM
Good to hear you've got it sorted out. When I was reading some of the other posts about OSM maps it sounded like there was problems if you had more than one OSM map, which I think you did have at one stage. Although, I'm not sure if this was in Mapsource or in RoadTrip.

Bye Jeff.

ebw
17th April 2012, 10:30 PM
April 2012 update. All very simple. And now we use OSX 10.6...

How get maps on Apple Mac BaseCamp/RoadTrip for use on my Garmin eTrex Vista hCX

With BaseCamp AND RoadTrip there are two choices of mapping/planning. Both allow routes etc to be sent to the GPS. To be honest, I am not sure which one is the better. But noting there has not been any update for RoadTrip it seems safe to assume that Garmin will focus on BaseCamp. One neat feature of BaseCamp is the option to go straight to Google Earth…which nice for getting a bird’s eye view of the terrain.

Back to maps. Free maps are available at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Simply select tiles that cover a region you plan to go, request with your email and you receive a notice that the file is ready.

Choose what you want. You can get a file to put on a micro SD card, insert in the GPS and start. Or, you get a zip file that results in a ‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’.

Now to getting that map on the GPS:
-copy the ‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’ file into your favourite directory
-click on ‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’
-Garmin MapManager opens and asks if you want to install that map. Do it.

‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’ files could be for any number of maps. They are named the same but contain different map info. This is my way of keeping different maps: use a unique directory for each map (ie. Cyprus, or, traverse Simpson desert)

Most likely, if you already have a ‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’ installed, the new map will NOT work. You need to delete the old ‘OSM World Routable.gmapi’ from ‘User/library/application support/garmin/maps’. Then install the map you want to use. With BaseCamp this is easy: Select ‘Reveal in Finder’ from the ‘Installed Maps info’ in the ‘Maps’ drop down menu. Then, in ‘Finder’ just delete that OSM map. Double click, install map, select OSM map in the ‘Map’ menu.

If you have multiple maps installed then making/sending a map to the GPS is easy: Start ‘Garmin MapInstall.app’ and follow the prompts. Switch between installed maps to select what you want. MapInstall will show you how much of your microSD card (or internal memory, on GPS without SD cards) is going to be used. The actual process of sending can be lengthy.

Why do I install maps on my computer? Because I usually plan routes on RoadTrip/baseCamp and then send it to the GPS. Having the map on the MAC is nice. I have all the Australian maps I need on my SD card but take the GOS overseas. So for every trip I carry a few SD cards with maps of countries I travel to. If you don’t need it on the MAC and are happy to just use the GPS then definitely download the map for copying to the SD card, insert and you are ready.

By the way: these free OSM maps are fantastic.