PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain how to update detail maps to Magellan Explorist XL

danc12
1st July 2006, 02:55 PM
Help! :mad:
I have an Explorist XL with a snazzy file structure which includes bas map and detail map directories.

I have downloaded some topo maps from this web site and now am wondering how I get them onto the GPS. The format of the files are OZF2, for example 9130__SYDNEY.ozf2.

Firstly what is the format of the Magellan base and detail maps; is it .img or .imi?? How do I get them into this format. I ahve seen all sorts of apps that convert tracks and waypoints but it is the topo I want to get into the GPS.

I know that it can be done because I have seen another XL with topos that came from .OZF2 format.

I am going crazy with this, help would be most appreciated.

Dan C

arthurking83
1st July 2006, 08:28 PM
You're going crazy with that because it can't be done!!

You need Magellan detailed maps to load on a Magellan GPSreceiver, just like you need a set of Garmin detail maps to load onto a Garmin GPSr.

The maps on this site, and any other raster type maps images are intended for use in Oziexplorer (and CE) which runs on a PC or PDA.

danc12
2nd July 2006, 05:56 AM
Des Newman of oziexplorer said the same. I just got an email from them. OK so where and what are the best source for these types of maps for Australia in your opinion that I can load onto the Magellan? The base map that is in there is useless!

arthurking83
2nd July 2006, 09:55 AM
All basemaps are useless!!
(even in the States!!)

Best maps for Magellans (IMHO) are the (Discover Australia Streets and Tracks)DAST v1 on CD.

While you don't get topo data (can be handy!!) and some of the data is wellout of date, at least you have a chance to edit the data on the PC (via a third party program) and keep these maps upto date!

This is a very tedious process, and should only be considered by people that have LOTS of time on their hands!! ;)

If you're like me, and want the easy way out...DAST topo!!!
I'm 99.9% sure you will be satisfied with the quality and accuracy of the data on these maps! :D

My only complaint with this map software....no PC program like the old v1 version...
...ie. to upload user defined map areas to the SD card!
eg. If I was on a trip to Lake Eyre...I'd like the option to load VIC, SA and GDT!! I don't need the other states for a trip like this.....and I also need a copy of GDT on a separate SD card for when travelling in these areas...not an ideal solution in my opinion :mad:

***here I go, ranting again...*** :D

danc12
3rd July 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for this

I'll look into the DAST Topo, where do you think is the best place to get a copy at the best price? :) Meaning, is there an internet source that outprices say a retail outlet or is the cost pretty non-competitive in your experience. :food-smil

regards

Dan C

arthurking83
3rd July 2006, 09:01 AM
...... Meaning, is there an internet source that outprices say a retail outlet or is the cost pretty non-competitive in your experience. ......

Shady had some cheap deals going @ $199!!! normally about $239-249! :D
(be quick there's only one left!)

Look at the Home page here, at the GPSAus Stocktake sale!!

I bought DAST topo from the ONLINE SHOP (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/) and it arrived in 2 days! :D

lefty
23rd July 2006, 01:15 PM
Hello - I'm very interested in this discussion, because it's a problem I will hit next year. At present I have the whole of WA onto one card - but next year I want to do a long trip WA/SA/QLD and part of NT - I was wondering how I could put the whole 'stretch' onto the gps. Tips would be wonderful
Thanks - lefty

arthurking83
23rd July 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi lefty,

What size card have you got?

You need a minimum 256Meg card to load all of Aus using DAST v1 from the PC, there is a post somewhere in the Magellan forum that has a set of region files to set this up.

Although 99% of folks won't ever need the full set of maps of Aus except for a 'round the clock' trip!

A 512 meg card is probably ideal for loading all of the DAST maps and GDT so it's ready to go when you are!

WA-SA-NT-QLD should take up about 150(ish) meg if your using a full QLD map, but depending on how far across into QLD you're intending to travel, possibly much less??? QLD will take up most of the map size

cheers

lefty
6th August 2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the reply ......... seems I got a bit of technical information incorrect (this is the "she" typing what the "he" tells me !!). :action-sm

We have a magellan Meridian Gold with a 128 Mb card. SOme info we would like to know that we can't find on the Magellan site is .......

Can we delete the base map (america) off the gps handset ??

How do we upload information from maps other than Magellan or are we limited to Magellan maps (like the Magellan Hema Australian Deserts Tracks which we find a bit useless ??) and if so, what are good maps (CD's/DVD's) to buy.

How can we upload more than 64mbs at one time ....... I was able to upload all of WA onto the 128 mb card but had to do it in 4 "chunks" as it would only down load the 64mg size in one go? Getting other cards is not a problem .....

Thanks

Lefty :confused-

arthurking83
6th August 2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the reply ......... seems I got a bit of technical information incorrect (this is the "she" typing what the "he" tells me !!). :action-sm

We have a magellan Meridian Gold with a 128 Mb card. SOme info we would like to know that we can't find on the Magellan site is .......

Can we delete the base map (america) off the gps handset ??

How do we upload information from maps other than Magellan or are we limited to Magellan maps (like the Magellan Hema Australian Deserts Tracks which we find a bit useless ??) and if so, what are good maps (CD's/DVD's) to buy.

How can we upload more than 64mbs at one time ....... I was able to upload all of WA onto the 128 mb card but had to do it in 4 "chunks" as it would only down load the 64mg size in one go? Getting other cards is not a problem .....

Thanks

Lefty :confused-

Hello there 'he/she' ;)

There's no need to delete the basemap (well no harm, but not enough gained to warrant the process) as you seem to have DiscoverAus!!

There is a small file you will need to change in the Program Files/DiscoverAus install directory, to effect the "bigger than 64Meg" map making process!

You will need to look for the Magellan/DiscoverAus folder, and find a file called mapsend.ini

First up make a copy of mapsend.ini call it mapsend-old.ini or whatever makes you happy!

Open this file with a text editor....I use Wordpad because the formatting is clearer, but Notepad works too.

You need to look under the paragraph heading

[Device Defaults]
and look for the line that says.....

Conv_Memory_Size=262144
(ps. the number in red is what mine is set to....
your Conv memory size will be smaller, 16384 or whatever???)

You could just copy and past that figure/line into your mapsend.ini file...but it really is just a matter of mousing over the number and typing the 262.... number!

You don't really need to effect any other changes in mapsend.ini , but make sure you save the file, and DAST is not running while you ar doing any editing!

Now the next time you open DAST you can make a map as big as 256Megabytes in size...from memory WA should be about 40 megs..

If you don't always need such a large sized map of the state, for everyday driving, you could make one of Xmeg of an area you may find yourself travelling in and around!
This helps to make "map draw" rates on the GPS screen faster...
ie. smaller map faster GPS map screen!

If you are dead-set certain you want an aussie basemap...well there is a way...... ;)

Nicko
12th August 2006, 06:23 PM
If you are dead-set certain you want an aussie basemap...well there is a way...... ;)

Oh you teaser :vomit-smi spit it out!

Nicko
12th August 2006, 06:24 PM
I have been searching for that option tiplay with it