PDA

View Full Version : My new car setup

old_man_silvia
4th July 2006, 06:57 PM
Just got my new car setup finally. It is based on a Dell Latitude D610 with a 12v power pack (genuine Dell), etrex with serial cable. I have a double adaptor so both GPS and laptop can function together. No mounting brackets yet, but will get them soon. At least I can do oziexplorer with the moving map facility now.

Cheers
David

arthurking83
4th July 2006, 09:37 PM
:D

have fun with it!!

the only thing I would question is the double adapter!

I use a similar item and it used to keep popping out of the plug, I fitted a hardwired 12v Jaycar plug.
My (temporary) solution is to wrap a rubberband around the adapter to the 12v socket adn then install the device plugs....it's worked well (for my mad driving style) over the last 2/3 months, and I've totally forgotten about it!

I think the weight of the device plugs(over bumps) pull the adapter out.

Haven't thought of how to permanently fix it though :confused:

I'll be adding a wide (enough) angle lens to my camera kit soon...and post some photos ASAP, of the mess I've made to my dash! :p

helterskelter400
4th July 2006, 10:42 PM
nice.

get that all mounted up and you'll be dangerous.

dont forget to show us some pics

Yowie
5th July 2006, 01:33 PM
This is what I use. I needed an extension lead as well as a double adaptor. This fixed both problems.

I don't have any issues with the plug working it's way out because, as you can see, there is no weight on the plug itself.

Corry
6th July 2006, 01:18 PM
It's only getting better from here OMS. I'm using the same laptop in the car, along with an HP Ipaq PDA. Below is how I have it mounted, if the piccies work. I try not to use the laptop too much as I've heard that you can bugger them easy with harsh off roading, so I try and rely on the PDA.
I'm yet to work out how I can run the PDA and the Laptop with Destinator and Ozi running at once. But I'll get there.

arthurking83
6th July 2006, 08:55 PM
I'm yet to work out how I can run the PDA and the Laptop with Destinator and Ozi running at once. But I'll get there.

Have you tried GPSGate (comport splitter)
If so....
are you having trouble with GPSGate?

I've yet to find any free PDA comport splitters, and I have no need for one so I can't justify spending $ on GPSGate.

cheers.

fni493
8th July 2006, 03:30 PM
Hey Cory,

Don't know if this is a bum steer or not but I have used my laptop for a couple of years now and it has travelled the Simpson twice and the CSR once and many Vic high country tracks and never missed a beat. The Toyota stacker jamed once but my Fujitsu laptop on a Autodesk stand (don't think they are available any more) has been ultra reliable.

Walter MEL

arthurking83
8th July 2006, 04:24 PM
Hi fni, while some laptops can go on for decades while in use as a car PC, they are definitely susceptible to vibration!

The enemy of the hard disk is vibration (and strong magnetic fields).

While laptop hardrives are manufactured with this in mind, and accordingly engineered to suit, it still stands...vibrations (bumps) can reduce the life of the hard drive, or make it more likely to develop a problem.

If you have gone 3 years without any issues.... :D

Corry
9th July 2006, 07:08 PM
FNI, I've found that touring and general 4WD'ing is a 50/50 chance with the laptops, but the comp side of things is too harsh for them. But I still need to have it along with me for backup to the PDA. I'm hoping that they are a bit more tolerant when not in use, any comments anyone? Are they OK when just in the car not being used.
King, I've just been reading up about GPS Gate and it looks like it may be the go. I'll get it this week and see how it goes on the weekend. I'm off on another trip this weekend so this will give me the chance to do some testing.

Thanks for all this,

arthurking83
9th July 2006, 07:45 PM
..... I'm hoping that they are a bit more tolerant when not in use, any comments anyone? Are they OK when just in the car not being used.....

From all my readings/research, ....(I haven't yet extensively tested my brothers lappy in the car :mad: ) and have limited time with them.... there are most susceptible while the hdd is working (to bumps and vibes)

While they are not working (or the hdd is "parked") they are less sus!!

Of course vibes can also affect other components, vibrate connectors loose...etc...

BUT! the hdd is most at risk.

Corry
27th November 2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Cory,

Don't know if this is a bum steer or not but I have used my laptop for a couple of years now and it has travelled the Simpson twice and the CSR once and many Vic high country tracks and never missed a beat. The Toyota stacker jamed once but my Fujitsu laptop on a Autodesk stand (don't think they are available any more) has been ultra reliable.

Walter MEL

Hey fni493, you don't have and happy snaps of the Autodesk stand at all. Wouldn't mind seeing that.

Cheers
Corry