PDA

View Full Version : hello from PDA-bluetooth land!

arthurking83
11th July 2006, 09:01 PM
I just needed to post using my ToshibaE800 PDA, over a bridged bt-ethernet connection :D

(even though I'm sitting in front of the PC :p)

works OK, but bt is slow, and onscreen K/B is annoying ....

:D

edit: (with the PC :p) I need a PDA browser. any recommendations?

spd33y
11th July 2006, 10:16 PM
I just needed to post using my ToshibaE800 PDA, over a bridged bt-ethernet connection :D

(even though I'm sitting in front of the PC :p)

works OK, but bt is slow, and onscreen K/B is annoying ....

:D

edit: (with the PC :p) I need a PDA browser. any recommendations?

I have tried Opera. There is a 30 day trial. Much better than Pocket Internet Explorer.

There is also another popular browser.

Aximsite.com forums has heeeeeeaps of info relating to software. Check it out.

arthurking83
11th July 2006, 10:36 PM
I have tried Opera. There is a 30 day trial. ....

:mad:

I downloaded it before you replied :mad:

I didn't see "trial" anywhere! ..... I hate that!

I'll keep looking..not really serious about using the PDA for net access...although I'm looking to get a a CF WiFi card...maybe later, so I'm just trialling/testing. It was just so cool, and easy, to set up over bt! :D

thanks

Craigus
12th July 2006, 07:02 AM
I've been meaning to have a go a setting this up... Any catches? Or was it all smooth sailing

arthurking83
12th July 2006, 07:38 AM
It was all smooth.

no problems with setting up the bt-LAN bridge.
PDA just needed PAN enabled in the connection configs....

It was just a matter of finding where all the settings are in the PDA.

GPSA webpage loaded OK too! Only the very top "Home, Forums, UserCP..." bar needed side scrolling, the main part of the page was rendered on th entire screen

In Portrait mode at VGA, and had to set fonts a bit larger.....I'll have another play tonight and try Landscape mode.

spd33y
12th July 2006, 03:15 PM
Yeh I was surfing some forums thru the PDA at first, but then the novelty wears off. Stuff useful to have the ability to jump on the net if need be.

Was thinking it would be handy to do so using the phone/bluetooth and gprs or so when in the car and needed to check something on the net when out on the road.

Love the gadgets.

hangover
16th July 2006, 05:19 PM
I have been trying unsuccessfully to do this for weeks, cant seem to work out where i'm going wrong.

arthurking83
16th July 2006, 08:04 PM
I have been trying unsuccessfully to do this for weeks, cant seem to work out where i'm going wrong.

Over bluetooth?

What I did was enable PAN networking.
This created another Local Area Network in addition to my original LAN (that connects to the net)

Then I selected(highlighted) the two networks in "Network Connection" in Control Panel, and "Bridged" them!

Made sure that PAN was enabled on the PDA, used DHCP (I have a router/firewall, that does the DHCP).

The "virtual network card" created by the bt software on the PC was assigned an IP address auto magically, the PDA was also assigned an IP address, it all just kinda worked.

It is a bit flakey sometimes, won't connect, or doesn't see the virtual network adapter or PAN on the PC....rebooting always seems to fix it.

It really is kinda slow and frustrating when browsing/posting/searching, GOOGLE also has a system where it adapts web pages for use on mobile devices and the PDA screen won't need side scrolling.....

I also installed MiniMo (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/FAQ.html#q1.1)
A PDA version of Mozilla/Firefox (I'm a dedicated FF fan now!)

It was really only for a bit of fun, testing, curiosity..etc.

Will definitely get a LAN adapter (CF) if I ever need the PDA for serious mobile surfing...connect to some free hotspots...check up on here, mail...etc

:)

Mr Router
10th August 2006, 03:27 PM
You must get wi-fi as you can find heaps of good times while cruzzin around.
Bluetooth to the telephone is easy! turn both devices on! Light up the wireless section on the PDA, with note much fuss you should be able search for a new device, once located they will both prompt you for a pin number, make up 4 numbers & bang it in.This means your phone is now paired to the PDA & you will have a short cut to the phone on screen!You have to do this for every type of connection you wish to make to the phone(file transfer, Modem connection & the like) but only the first time.
Most phones are quite quick in connection speed, bluetooth isthe slower part.

hangover
10th August 2006, 08:13 PM
I have paired my nokia 6310 to my pda but as i dont have a dialup isp it is sort of useless and i wouldnt need to use it often enough to get an account setup. I did get the bt lan/pan going though so i can surf the net fron my pda - novelty worn off already !

arthurking83
10th August 2006, 08:46 PM
....n my pda - novelty worn off already !

HaHa... same here ;)

Just wanted to see how(if) it worked!

CF-WiFi card is on my shorlist of things to buy(no hurry), may come in handy when out on the road :confused-

:)