PDA

View Full Version : Are you from the Netherlands?

Natvander
5th July 2010, 04:21 PM
You Aussies keep amazing me....we allways talk about a right or left turn :hysterica

As you are a Dutchman, I can confess to you that my heritage isn't Australian ;)

Pocileh
5th July 2010, 07:27 PM
As you are a Dutchman, I can confess to you that my heritage isn't Australian ;)

EEeeeehhhh............dutch maybe....? :hatoff

Van der ..........

Natvander
5th July 2010, 08:06 PM
EEeeeehhhh............dutch maybe....? :hatoff

Van der ..........

...Meulen. I was born here, but both parents migrated (with most of the extended family) post WW2. My wife's mother's side is also Dutch (well...Friesian).

Anyone for Appelstroop?

Pocileh
6th July 2010, 02:59 AM
...Meulen. I was born here, but both parents migrated (with most of the extended family) post WW2. My wife's mother's side is also Dutch (well...Friesian).

Anyone for Appelstroop?

With the risk of being slapped by one of the mods because we're getting really off topic now...

Think it was eight of my aunts and uncles (my father's brothers and sisters) migrated to Ozi as well shortly after WW II
Only few of them are still alive and live south of Sydney. Visited them last year. Though my relatives over there speak hardly any Dutch anymore, they still treasure words like "hagelslag", "speculaas", "dropjes".
Funny to hear.

Natvander
6th July 2010, 07:22 AM
With the risk of being slapped by one of the mods because we're getting really off topic now...

Think it was eight of my aunts and uncles (my father's brothers and sisters) migrated to Ozi as well shortly after WW II
Only few of them are still alive and live south of Sydney. Visited them last year. Though my relatives over there speak hardly any Dutch anymore, they still treasure words like "hagelslag", "speculaas", "dropjes".
Funny to hear.

My wife's aunt and uncle and their family live south of Sydney...(van der Graaf).

Mmmmm Dutch food.....

Natvander
6th July 2010, 07:43 AM
Looks like our posts have been dealt with ;)

Pocileh
6th July 2010, 04:58 PM
Yep and it looks as if there are more members on the board who have their roots in the Netherlands... not that strange I think.
Many Dutch migrated to Ozi in the years just after WW II. Even now - although it's a bit more difficult to get in due to changes in regulations as I understood - people migrate from the Netherlands to Ozi and I can understand why.

Those Dutchies you can find anywhere and it can be a surprise to you.....
Some years ago a collegue and I travelled by car from Adela´de to Woolongong.
In a small village -don't know the name anymore - near Wagga-Wagga we bought some bread and decided to buy some meat as well in a butchershop.
We entered the shop where the butcher was busy helping some clients.
Waiting for our turn we discussed what we were going to get. Seemingly no one paying attention to our conversation.
Finally it was our turn and after we explained what we wanted in our kind of 'english' the butcher smiled, looked at some of the customers still present and anwered us in plain Dutch!!!! We found out that most of the customers still present were 'Dutch' as well and had big fun listening and understanding what we said without us knowing.

Maybe we should start a Dutch section on the forum? :hatoff

Natvander
6th July 2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe we should start a Dutch section on the forum? :hatoff

My Dutch is very poor! Most words are limited to food and a few derogitory terms my grandfather and uncles taught me :D

There were quite a few Dutch 'communities' but they seem to be dispersing a bit now (greater integration = less need to be among the same etc). Most now seem to be concentrated around the Dutch Reformed Church, but even some of those are dying too. There doesn't appear to be as many Dutch shops either.

I can't escape my heritage - even at work. I work at the same place my uncle worked for many years so I'm always being compared to him and asked to put on his accent etc.

Pocileh
6th July 2010, 08:11 PM
My Dutch is very poor! Most words are limited to food and a few derogitory terms my grandfather and uncles taught me :D

Can understand that.
Even my aunts (no uncles alive anymore) had some troubles every now and then to 'find' the right dutch words when we were talking during our visit last year. They are used to speak Australian and lack practicing dutch, living in Ozi for almost 50 years now.
Although....the oldest one (almost 90!) complained the also had some trouble using just english words. She now tends to mix english and dutch while she should be speaking english.