PDA

View Full Version : KMZ overlay in Google Earth

bshwckr
2nd August 2010, 06:59 AM
Tossing up between a Garmin and a TwoNav, I thought I would have a look at the Custom Map feature that some of the new Garmins can accept. Apparently the maps need to be in kmz format so I fired up GlobalMappper and converted a few of LPI maps to kmz. Google Earth will open a kmz file so I tried overlaying one to view the result. Very nice! The overlay can be easily turned off and on but what I like is how all the additional Google Earth links are still visible and usable over the map. I can view things like geocaches, walking trails, photos etc both in satellite view and in position on the topo.
The new version of Oziexplorer allows you to do a similar thing by opening Google Earth in Ozi but the difference here is that Google Earth is free.

Ktman
2nd August 2010, 03:05 PM
Looks interesting . What is an LPI .

Wahroonga Farm
2nd August 2010, 03:06 PM
Nice :)

The Explorer
2nd August 2010, 04:09 PM
snip

The new version of Oziexplorer allows you to do a similar thing by opening Google Earth in Ozi but the difference here is that Google Earth is free.

Hi

GlobalMapper isnt free though :)

Think we have discussed customs maps at length elsewhere but If you dont have GlobalMapper you can just use Google Earth to create the overlays (and if you want use them on your Garmin)..bit more painful though (so much so I have never tried)

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/10/creating-and-using-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

Cheers
Greg