PDA

View Full Version : Magellan explorist XL problems

PatrolFreak
4th August 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
being a gps newbie, i need a bit of help!
I bought said GPS from ebay, with a dvd of maps, and a 2gig sd card.
i plug the unit into my pc and install the maps, but when i go to load the map on the unit, it comes up with an error "invalid basemap default basemap loading...."
help please, i have been told the card must be an offical magellan card to work!
but being a tech retard, i don't know if that matters.

thanks in advance.
Matt.

The Explorer
4th August 2010, 08:04 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy (ebay purchase with maps included) ...but

Does the unit work Ok when you dont try and load additional maps?

Do the maps you are trying to load have an *.imi extension? They will not work if they are the wrong format.

Also if the maps have been copied from an original Magellan SD card they will not work as maps are locked to the original Magellan SD card.

The only maps that will work on any SD card are the older DAST V1 maps created from the original disc on a PC...but these must have the serial code of the unit entered during the map creation process to work.

Its a bit unclear what your actual problem is without further info.

Cheers
Greg

PatrolFreak
5th August 2010, 06:04 AM
Hi Greg,
the unit seems to work fine if the sd card is not in the unit, or is empty. But it only shows waterways and main rds, no topo stuff. which is really what i'm after.
i'm sure i'm using imi.file extensions. the disc came with a heap of maps for the explorist aswell as triton and the meridean.
it has Festy maps, and oliverk maps.plus heaps of other map making programs by the looks of it!

Cheers
Matt.

darylr
5th August 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Petrolfreak,

When you connect the GPSr to the PC via the USB cable and switch it on , does the Directory List on the PC show the SD card has this directory structure on it.

Removable Drive e: (or similar drive letter)

Background Maps

Detail Maps

Geocaches

My POIs

Regions

Routes

Track Logs

USBTRANS

That is what the directory looks like.

The basemap is pretty useless but is required for everything else to work - DON'T REMOVE IT

The Oliver or Festy maps go into your "Detailed Map" folder and have an .imi extension on the file.

If you place a new SD Card into the GPSr it should format and load the directories automatically then you need to load the detailed map onto the SD card using a card reader or via the USB cable from the PC.

You can use Mapsend Lite on your PC for transferring maps also. Mapsend Lite up to XP machines and Vantagepoint for later operating systems

When you have your maps on the GPSr you need to go to the "Menu" button and scroll down to "Preferences" and select "Active Setup" and select the detail map you want displayed.

Esc out to your Nav screen and see what you have.

Good Luck :hatoff

darylr
5th August 2010, 08:35 AM
Hi again,

After a bit more pondering (over a cup of tea & anzac biscuit) have a look in the Folder "Background Maps" on the SD card and see if there is a file called "basemap.mgi". This is your basemap and you can select it in "Active Setup" by selecting the location of the basemap.
If there is no basemap on your SD card then download one from here: http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3663&page=1&pp=15
and save it to your SD Card in "Background Maps" and tell the GPSr to look for it in that directory. This will override the one in your internal memory.

regards

Darylr

The Explorer
5th August 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Greg,
the unit seems to work fine if the sd card is not in the unit, or is empty. But it only shows waterways and main rds, no topo stuff. which is really what i'm after.
i'm sure i'm using imi.file extensions. the disc came with a heap of maps for the explorist aswell as triton and the meridean.
it has Festy maps, and oliverk maps.plus heaps of other map making programs by the looks of it!

Cheers
Matt.

Ok ...the Festy and OliverK maps should work as they are not locked in anyway (neglected to mention these). Daryl has provided the full low down on what folders should be on the SD card - so check this folder structure exists.

It appears that your unit already has an Australian basemap (on internal memory) so wouldnt bother downloading another one to the SD card...in fact if there is already one in the background maps directory on the SD card delete it (after backing up) given the "invalid basemap default basemap loading" error message you are getting with the SD card inserted.

Also make sure the SD card is not one of the newer HD variety..but just "normal" one. I am not sure what size card you can use in the Explorist either..2gb may be too big?? I would try a smaller, non HD card if all else fails.

Cheers
Greg

darylr
5th August 2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Petrolfreak,

I am using a 2 Gb non HD SD card in mine. I think this is as big as you can go.

regards

PatrolFreak
6th August 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Guys, i have tried all your suggestions. It still wont let me load the topo maps!
it is a standard 2g SD card sandisk.
i have found a map with a bit more detail, on the disk that came with the unit AUSDET.imi it seems to show the stateforest boundaries, but thats it, no fire roads or the like.
which i was after, as myself and a few mates have a trip to the coffs harbour region, at the end of august, but i will get a copy of a good paper map, to help with the trip.

cheers again for all ya help!

Matt.

darylr
9th August 2010, 07:48 AM
Hi Petrolfreak,

Have a look at my location. :hysterica

regards

Darylr

PatrolFreak
10th August 2010, 06:35 AM
:hysterica it really is a small world!

Matt.