PDA

View Full Version : Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS

ricketyclik
11th August 2010, 07:56 PM
I just bought one of these units, it's been updated from the old one with key differences being that it has bluetooth and a bluetooth helmet headset, and it now runs IGO Amigo, and from the onboard memory, not an SD card, although it has an SD slot.

I'm pretty impressed with it so far it has a good interface for using on the motorcycle, and seems physically robust. One major fault with Igo Amigo, however, is that you can only use one via point when planning routes.

I googled this problem, and found that it's a common complaint, and that skins have been developed allowing more via points. Details are here:http://www.austech.info/323880-post4.html. The skin I'm using now loses motorcycle specific functionality like distance to empty and large keyboard for use with gloves, but is better overall in my opinion.

Now, as I mentioned above unlike the previous version of the S350 this one has the software loaded on its onboard memory. The unit boots into it's own interface instead of the WinCE (Or Windows Mobile 6?) desktop. I tried to hack into it using the instructions Windows Mobile Device Centre, but it isn't recognising the unit.

I don't really know why, but could it be this: when I plug the USB cable into the unit, it gives me the option of either connect as a charger, or connect as a removable drive. When doing the latter, the onboard memory shows up as a removable drive on the PC, with only the navigation software folder visible (for updating using the Amigo synching software presumably).

My guess is that the unit doesn't allow the PC that it's connected to see that it is a Windows device, thus preventing access to its inner workings by Windows Mobile Device Center. Is this possible? Is there a workaround for it?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

(I want to access the WinCE desktop to install other GPS software on the unit).

ricketyclik
11th August 2010, 09:59 PM
I found a solution, it's here (http://maplorer.com/myboot.html) .

onemotte
23rd April 2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Ricketyclik, I know it's a couple of years down the track but you did a post on updating the software on the Go cruise S350 that will allow more via points. this extract from another site. can you post the sites that you mentioned below as they seem to have been lost. many thanks in advance......

'Murphyau, I used the , just because it was the first one I got to work with the via point functions, but from all accounts is pretty good without being too complex. Note that you lose the motorcycle specific functionality with at least the former skin.

The directions to install either should be the same:

1. Back up the contents of the "MobileNavigator" folder on the GPS to your PC (especially those you're going to modify, below).

2. Download the data.gro file from either of the sites in the above links. (The first one offers a lot more to download, I only used the data.gro.)

3. Replace the data.gro file in the MobileNavigator folder on your GPS with the new one.

4. Delete the entire contents of MobileNavigator\save on the GPS.

5. Paste the following into MobileNavigator\sys.txt:

Quote:
[interface]
skin="ui_igo_easy"
resolution_dir="320_240"
vga=0
[rawdisplay]
class="landscape"
screen_x=320
screen_y=240
highres=0
All the usual disclaimers apply: it worked for me, but don't blame me if your GPS becomes damaged in any way.

I probably should mention just in case that the first thing you need to do is connect the GPS to the PC in file transfer mode using the USB cable

ricketyclik
23rd April 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi onemotte,

I ended up going with iGo Amigo, not only because it allows multiple way-points, but because it has an integral mp3 player, enabling the listening of music while navigating :)

onemotte
24th April 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that, will give it a whirl