PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth or CF

Berg
24th July 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

I hope im not repeating a question already asked.

I have an Ipaq hx2490 on the way, birthday present :grinning- , and I am trying to decide what gpsr with SiRFIII chipet to buy. Originally I was all for the Haicom 305III but have found out it is not compatible with WM5 :( . I am now thinking maybe a bluetooth gpsr like Globalsat BT338. Does anyone have any advice? are there any disadvantages of bluetooth gpsr's

Cheers

Yowie
24th July 2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Berg,

I'm only new at this, however, I have a pda with a bluetooth gps receiver and it works great.
In my opinion, the advantages are:

You can mount the receiver on the dash, and use the pda without affecting your reception (you're not moving the receiver around). This comes in handy when the navigator (wife) wants a closer look at the map.

You will probably want a large memory card to store all your maps and things. You don't want the CF slot tied up with the gps receiver.

The disadvantages are:

If you head out on foot or similar, you have two items to carry (although a belt clip for the receiver would solve that). I'm looking for one at the moment.

As I said, I'm only new to this, so I'm assuming there are plenty of other things that I haven't thought about or come accross yet. Just my two cents worth.

arthurking83
24th July 2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah I can only see that the advantages of bt over CF are better.

Another point to remember! If you're out on foot, you will almost certainly get less 'use time' if you use a CF GPS, as it draws it's power from the PDA.

A bt GPS will of course have it's own battery!
I think they, (bt GPS battery) usually last around 8-16 hours, or something similar??)

bt338 appears to be a good unit.

Berg
28th July 2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys for your help, makes the decision a bit easier.

Cheers