PDA

View Full Version : SD Probs/questions

casper
26th July 2006, 08:59 AM
I bought a 2gb SD card for my IPAQ 3870 but when I formatted the card it said I only had 950mb available.

This indicates 1 of 2 things... either:

My 2gb card is really 1gb; or
the 3870 cant recognise cards bigger than 1 gb

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is someone in for a negative ebay feedback :jumping-s

hangover
26th July 2006, 11:10 AM
what version of windows are you running, there is probably a 1 gig limit in the system, maybe try the hp website in the faq's for a fix.

The Explorer
26th July 2006, 01:18 PM
There are two file systems used on storage cards: FAT16 (often referred to as FAT) and FAT32 - I cant remember exactly what the story is but I think :confused- what you need to do is select FAT16 format as you Ipaq doesnt recognise FAT32.

If you have XP on PC do this...

You will need to go to the command prompt and enter

FORMAT X: /FS:FAT

where X: is your SD drive letter.

Cheers
Greg

casper
26th July 2006, 01:56 PM
cool thanks.

I don't have a card reader, is there a way to do this on the PDA?

the evil twin
26th July 2006, 06:26 PM
G'day Casper, :action-sm

Hmmm, whereabouts did the card come from on Ebay?
The reason is ...that there is a lot of press on and off the Ebay site at the moment about fake SD cards in 1 and 2gig versions being sourced out of China and Hong Kong (I think). Sandisk, in particular are being targetted by fake cards that almost look the real thing but actually have half or less of stated capacity.
:violent-s

Having said that...I note you said you formatted the card yourself (why? was it used or new?) and The Explorer is correct in that you need to double check the FAT format for your device. Q and D method if you don't have a reader (BTW there are some real cheap readers around that will make life easier for you) is format it one way and check what you get then blow it away and try the other before you yell at the Ebayer.

I am told the best way to confirm capacity is to actually do large file transfers both to and from the Card.

I almost went the Ebay road myself but the other day found a local PC shop selling Amicroe 80X MiniSD 1Gig with SD carriage for $65 which was a fair enough price IMHO and they work in my Asus and Nokia N70 a treat.

Anything goes wrong and I know exactly who to yell at :laughing-

arthurking83
26th July 2006, 08:35 PM
I avoid the Sandisk cards off ebay for exactly that same reason, and tend to look for the cheaper 'AData' or suchlike brands at sensible prices...so far so good :action-sm

If you don't have a card reader, you could try connecting the PDA to windows via active sync, or whatever syncing program U use, and format via window while the card is connected directly to the PDA (the PDA becomes the card reader)
..... or a camera or whatever!
A digi-camera will, by default, format the card in FAT(16).
I think that if the camera has a (real)USB2 connection it may use FAT32???

Just sounds like the 'ebay syndrome' to me, as my 1G card comes up around 963Mb

I just formatted my 1G card in FAT32 and then tried FAT16, and the FAT32 system gives me 961Mb, whereas FAT gives me 963Mb??? :confused-

the evil twin
27th July 2006, 10:04 AM
I avoid the Sandisk cards off ebay for exactly that same reason, and tend to look for the cheaper 'AData' or suchlike brands at sensible prices...so far so good :action-sm

I just formatted my 1G card in FAT32 and then tried FAT16, and the FAT32 system gives me 961Mb, whereas FAT gives me 963Mb??? :confused-

Hmm...I've not had to play around formatting an SD or miniSD so sounds like that may not be the problem and it is indeed a dodgy card.

Some of the Ebay deals from the Ebay Stores look really good...BUT...
Saw a "supposed" 1 Gig sandisk SD on "clearance" for $17 but the postage as $29 and that made it near enuf $50 for a card out of China ...too good to be true?

casper
27th July 2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah,

Got mine for 90 cents and $30 shipping :confused-

So either way $30.90 for 1gb is not to bad.

I tried fat 32 and fat 16 but it was roughly the same in the end.

Thanks,
Casper

arthurking83
27th July 2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah,

Got mine for 90 cents and $30 shipping :confused-

:laughing-

Definetely an ebay rip-off deal!
They have the ridiculously low price/high shipping cost because they WANT you to send it back :p

So either way $30.90 for 1gb is not to bad.

That's a better way of looking at it!

:food-smil

casper
28th July 2006, 09:11 AM
I just wrote a neutral comment and said "works okay not quite what I was hoping for" lol