PDA

View Full Version : Display of GPS Lon/Lat on Photos

Don U. Schulz
27th July 2006, 02:42 PM
I was interested in having the true Location displayed/printed on some of the photos I take.
I know that there is some special PC software which can combine later-on,photoswith recorded/collected GPS data.
There is also a very expensive Camera with build-in GPS, for the use by Scientists, Law-Enforcement Officers etc. on the market.
I searched for a inexpensive and simple solution to do the same, without having to use a PC. Here it is:
I use my HP IPAQ rx3715 PPC which has a camera build in. My GPS Software "NAVIO" also displays the GPS location data in two small lines on the 'Today' screen of the PPC. After taking a photo with my PPC, I select the 'Today Setting' on the menu and select the current photo as my 'Today Screen' Background.
With my 'free' Screen Capture program I know capture the sreen photo, which has now the GPS location data displayed on the photo. This solution is very fast and simple and I can mark my photos for for scientifical or other interesting purposes.

Tardis
28th July 2006, 08:14 PM
Alternatively (for those without GPS and camera ready PDA's) - get hold of OziPhotoTool (http://www.oziphototool.com//). This assumes you have GPSr running in close proximity to where you take a photo (& that you have a digital camera to boot) in that it reads the Ozi track log & matches the date/time to the EXIF date/time saved with the photo. It then creates waypoints linked to your photos (for opening from Ozi) saved to HD which are also watermarked with the GPS location.

If you're planning to do a map-based "show & tell" of your next big trip it works well to demonstrate to photo viewers where each picture was taken, as an alternative to having them scroll through in chronological order.

Very flexible in operation - as long as you can meet the criteria. So no good for non-digitals of course, nor for those who leave the GPSr in vehicle & walk to the photogenic spots. Program also suggests you sync the time of GPS, camera & PC - basically by taking a photo of GPSr showing time - but I had no probs skipping this step in a trial run.

It's shareware - "From version 2.0 registration is required for commercial or government users, and is strongly encouraged for all others. All features of OziPhotoTool are available in the unregistered version except that waypoint file generation is limited to processing only the first five images in the image file list."

the evil twin
28th July 2006, 09:21 PM
Great thread Don, didn't think it would lead to this when I first saw the post. :action-sm

Excellent link Tardis...I just gotta play with this now :party-smi

Hope it does UTM grids in the watermark and not just Lat Long

Don U. Schulz
31st July 2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply to it and for any suggestions !

By the way, the "Date and the Time" the photo was taken, can also be captured, by setting it on the TODAY screen settings on the PPC.

Cheers,

Don

Sarg
31st July 2006, 09:17 PM
Track Ranger will do it for you too.
I still think that this is a simpler & more user friendly program than Ozi Ex that everyone raves about. I've got both but, prefere to use Track Ranger. (But thats only my opionin).

Don U. Schulz
5th August 2006, 12:30 PM
Sony just announced a new and interesting Gadget to tag photos with the GPS coordinates.

The product will be become available very soon.

The item is: GPS -CS1 and will cost about US$150.00

You can check out the description on Sony's- and other Web pages.

Don

The Explorer
5th August 2006, 11:28 PM
Track Ranger will do it for you too.
I still think that this is a simpler & more user friendly program than Ozi Ex that everyone raves about. I've got both but, prefere to use Track Ranger. (But thats only my opionin).

Wish the Trackranger boys would make a current trial/demo version avialable - I have an old demo version ~V 3.6 (came "free" with Westprint map CD) but it is not flash at all :sad-smile (compared to current OE and in fact all versions of OE I have used). Would like to see functions of latest Trackranger version (not that OziExplorer doesn't do everything I need and more :party-smi ) just so I could pass judgment. It would need to be pretty good as its first drawback is that it costs more than OE :confused-
Cheers
Greg :action-sm