PDA

View Full Version : Chasing an external antenna, 90deg plug

ash.onmtb
25th August 2010, 03:45 PM
Quick one for those who prowl the ebay probably too much :hatoff

I'm chasing an external antenna with MMCX plug, thats at 90 degrees, and is on 5m of cable. The best I can find is 3metres of cable and thats just not going to do...

Has anyone seen anything that would work?

Thanks in advance.

ash.

Avtrician
25th August 2010, 04:10 PM
You may have to source/make an extension cable.

where were you intending to mount the antenna..

ash.onmtb
25th August 2010, 05:29 PM
The antenna is to come frrom the centre dash, out through the firewall, then up the exterior of a snorkel (on a 4wd..) and the antenna itself will sit atop the snorkel head.

Making one seems reasonable, I just don't know how to get a MMCX terminal onto the cable. I don't know what I'd need to do it, in terms of 'part numbers' or exact descriptions of what things are...

The Explorer
25th August 2010, 05:42 PM
No idea, but these guys may have what you want...if not I have a feeling they could construct one to your specs

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/External_Aerials.htm

Cheers
Greg

ash.onmtb
25th August 2010, 06:05 PM
Cheers, I'll see what they can do.

Dooghan
25th August 2010, 06:18 PM
Got one in the draw you can have if you want. 5m of cable, 90deg MCX connector. Make me a offer and you can have it.

ash.onmtb
25th August 2010, 06:41 PM
MMCX, the small one?

Dooghan
25th August 2010, 07:46 PM
Here is some pics to see if it's what your after.

Nicko
25th August 2010, 08:26 PM
You only have to ask me, I stock them, the Globalsat AT-65 series, Sanav series and Gilsson series

Avtrician
25th August 2010, 10:12 PM
The antenna is to come frrom the centre dash, out through the firewall, then up the exterior of a snorkel (on a 4wd..) and the antenna itself will sit atop the snorkel head.

I would tend to work from the other way, its much easier to make a small hole for the lead, than a large one for the antenna.

:hysterica :hysterica

OK, not so funny then. its wednesday night and I'm tired OK???

Actually I thought the request would be for mounting on a snorkel for some reason.

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 06:20 AM
nah, Sikaflex fixes pesky problems like mounting the head :)

Yep, you had a long day didn't you....

Nicko
26th August 2010, 08:27 AM
The AT-65 have 5 metre cables

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 02:52 PM
Just quickly, do people believe that the plug pictured above, will work in the socket on my GPS? The literature with the GPS is umm, ambiguous shall we say..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/ash_on_mtb/260820101085.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/ash_on_mtb/260820101084.jpg

Cheers,

Michael
26th August 2010, 03:20 PM
The one in Doogan's pictures looks like a MCX to me.
In fact he says MCX in post 6 above.
You do not say what model of GPS that it has to fit into, what gave you the idea it was MMCX?
MMCX & MCX are different.

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 03:27 PM
to my understanding MCX was a larger version of MMCX. I put my thumb in the photo to give it some kind of scale, but I don't know... I'll have more of a prowl through the literature to see if I can pin it down, but 'visually' which do people think it might be?

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 03:35 PM
its basically this unit, and it doesn't specify which fitting it takes...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Navigo-7-Inch-Touch-Screen-GPS-Navigator-/180524159303?pt=AU_Gadgets

Any thoughts?

Michael
26th August 2010, 04:36 PM
If you do not know for certain, then the best bet would be to take it to a shop that sells either that sort of GPS or accessories with MMCX & MCX connections.

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 04:38 PM
suggestions of venues might be?

I'm in Murrumbeena, quite near you it might seem. Where would you try?

Michael
26th August 2010, 04:41 PM
D I C K Smith

Dooghan
26th August 2010, 06:30 PM
Sure you don't want a straight connector? This is the connection on the back of my 60CS which is a MCX connection. Unplugging that 90deg connection in the above pic I posted can be a real pain in the rear end. It is really small and hard to pull out. Yours is going to be next to impossible to unplug.

ash.onmtb
26th August 2010, 08:22 PM
the reason I want it 90 deg is the plug is on the top of the unit. With the unit mounted, there will be a long loop of wire that'll be doing a 180 deg turn so it can go back through the GPS mount. A 90 deg will travel straight to the back of the unit and down, meaning now daggy loop to get hooked up on things.

So, people, MMCX or MCX going by the pictures??

Michael
26th August 2010, 08:58 PM
Well your picture does look like the socket on a Garmin 60 series.
But it is your call, if I said one, you bought it, & I was wrong, like I say your call.

Dooghan has a very good point re the 90 degree compared to straight out.
Years ago I spent $100 on a Garmin external A with 90 degree end for my old 60.
Always a jiggle to get it out, till it started to break apart.
A straight in end fitting would have been much easier.
Bought a Gilsson brand for half the price to replace it.
Soon after got my 60Cx which has much better reception, so I stopped using the external A.

I can see how the 90 degree would be tidier in use for you, but with the way that your socket is down in a recess I think it will be almost impossible to get out.
Depends if you will be leaving it permanently in the vehicle.
I never leave my Aventura in the car, always unplug & take with me.

Nicko
26th August 2010, 11:32 PM
measure the diameter of the plug (gold part) and I can tell you if it is aMCX or MMCX. I would think it is an MCX

Dooghan
27th August 2010, 04:11 AM
the reason I want it 90 deg is the plug is on the top of the unit. With the unit mounted, there will be a long loop of wire that'll be doing a 180 deg turn so it can go back through the GPS mount. A 90 deg will travel straight to the back of the unit and down, meaning now daggy loop to get hooked up on things.

So, people, MMCX or MCX going by the pictures??You will have to measure it like Nicko said. I wish you luck with a 90deg connection then. Your going to have to use a small screw driver or something else to lever it up to unplug it from the GPS. I wouldn't be supprised if don't break the connection off inside the GPS trying to unplug it.

ash.onmtb
27th August 2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

the unit is permenantly mounted in the vehicle, hasn't been moved in the years I've had it and after the install in the new vehicle I have no intention of moving it from there either.

I'm not concerned about getting the plug out, I've got a leatherman located nearby so if pointy nose pliers can't get it out, a screw driver should solve that issue.

I'll run a rule over it today, thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

niss42
27th August 2010, 12:50 PM
G'day Ash.
Try Peter Dwyer at Telstat Communications in Seaford
http://www.telstat.com.au/
Cheers Barry

ash.onmtb
31st August 2010, 08:00 PM
just to dredge this back up in the hope that someone can help... I put a measure over the socket on the top of the unit, and its about 2.5mm wide (the actual socket opening) - I don't have verniers so I can get more accurate than that, but opening in the plastic would be about 3mm tight, and the opening in the socket itself would be about 2.5mm

Does that help in working out if its MCX or MMCX??

Thanks,

Michael
31st August 2010, 08:32 PM
Does that help in working out if its MCX or MMCX??
Well, I lean to MCX, but as stated before, just take it into D i c k Smith in Southland or JA in St Kilda & try one in it.

ash.onmtb
8th September 2010, 02:37 PM
Bit of a grave dig here, but I still need a solution.

JAycar took it in their hearts to dig long and hard in the parts bin to find me a MMCX connector that fits!!

So, confirmed MMCX connector required!

DSE are a fundementally useless organisation, at every turn... I'm over them. 4 stores later, all of which 'say' they have one on the system, they go to the shelf and say 'yep, we've got something here, come on down' and you take the trip only to find its either nothing like it, doesn't even exist or that person has 'gone to lunch'...

Sorry, venting...

So, MMCX, hows' that going to help me!? Where were we at with this...?

Nicko
8th September 2010, 03:30 PM
the sooner you give me the inner diameter of the outer ring the sooner I can answer you.

Michael
8th September 2010, 04:05 PM
Post 26 from Niss42.
Have you tried them?

ash.onmtb
8th September 2010, 04:10 PM
Nicko, what for?

Its MMCX, I need a 90deg, 6m cable, external antenna for GPS, as stated in OP. And I need it for 4/5ths of stuff all.

Putting an email into Telstat currently, thanks for the tips.

ash.onmtb
9th September 2010, 07:49 PM
Righto, found what I need. Thanks for the assistance.

ebay links not allowed in this forum - nicko