PDA

View Full Version : Importing a track file problem??

silverfox
29th August 2010, 09:05 PM
I've done a search but cannot find an answer to my proplem!! Looking for some guidence.
I have created a track in google earth and saved it as a KML file, Put it through gpsbabel and converted it to a gdb file and can now open it on Mapsource. All good so far!!
Now I try and send it to my Garmin60cx as I have with other track files, and only half the track comes up?? I have tried it many times and even redone the track from the start, I just don't seem to be able to get this one across. Mem card is not full. Somtimes it does not come up at all on my 60cx, but it says it has transfered succefully. Does not show up under tracks, could it be somwhere else on the GPS that Im not loooking at?? as in internal mem??

The Explorer
29th August 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi
Best bet for a fast track solution is to attach file here so others can look at it. It may be that the track has too many points ..or something??

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
30th August 2010, 08:37 AM
Pop up the KML.

silverfox
30th August 2010, 05:22 PM
Pop up the KML.
Bit of a nob at this, so how do I attach it here??
Thanks guy's

Wahroonga Farm
30th August 2010, 05:48 PM
Zip it and attach

silverfox
30th August 2010, 06:01 PM
see if this works!!!

Wahroonga Farm
30th August 2010, 10:03 PM
Here it is as a .kml to .gpx via OziExplorer.

2,718 points.

Is that too many??? Doubt it!

Specs say "10,000 points, 20 saved tracks".

Note: Tracks are reduced to 500 points per saved track.

In any case see if the .gpx gives you the same issues.

Michael?? :)

silverfox
31st August 2010, 04:57 PM
Ok, I have transfered it to the 60CX again with the same result, Still only shows the first 16km of the track(about a quarter of it).
I also note that on the map it shows a starting point as in Start,(at the start of the track. and an end point as in End, where it finishes? could this be the issue? or how do I delete these?

Treadly
31st August 2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe 10 000 points is the total number of points you can have. Try deleting one of the other tracks and see if that "frees up" some points.

silverfox
31st August 2010, 06:30 PM
Tried deleting other tracks, and it is still the same. You are right about the 500 points, as other tracks are reduced to that. Still think it has somthing to do with this start and finish that comes up on the map, as it does not come up on any other track I have.Only have 4 other tracks on there, some larger some smaller. comes up as 15 unused tracks, so I think it has the space.

Treadly
31st August 2010, 06:44 PM
There's your answer. Point 500 is exactly at the 16km mark. Check the settings to see if you can change the number of points in a track. I've leant my GPS60CSx to my brother so I can't help you.

mihermano
31st August 2010, 07:27 PM
For a non-GPS track this long, try chopping up the track into sections in Mapsource (probably about 7). Send them all to the GPSr.

silverfox
31st August 2010, 07:34 PM
MMM. Seems if you draw a track on google earth it puts in to many points, as when you open it in mapsource it comes up with 1300 odd points. Does not seem to save it with 500. It also seems like the Garmin will only take 500 points per track. If I delete a heap of points of it will not have the detail I want, but seem to get if I do a trip and leave the track log on!
Is there a way when I convert from KML to GDB file in GPSBABLE to get it down in points? or another way? Thanks for your help!!

silverfox
31st August 2010, 07:56 PM
:hysterica Got it!!! Had a play in GPSBABEL. Under filters/ tracks. I set it to 500 points and converted to GDB file and then transfered it to the gps and it worked!!!! Got it all 75km with pretty good detail. Thanks for the help. I guess we all might have learned somthing out of it. I know I have. didn't even know how to convert a file till this week!!! Old dogs may be able to learn new tricks!!
Only thing that has me confused now is how does the GPS save tracks with more than 500 points as you leave a track log??

Michael
31st August 2010, 08:26 PM
My MapSource has crashed (one day I must delete, clean registry, re-install. God, I hate MapSource)
I saved the gpx file & opened it in OziExplorer. (Love Ozi)
Then saved it as an Ozi track.
Cleared the GPS track log.
Sent from PC to 60Cx, selected 'active track' but tried to re-name it 'DES T BRIDGE' the GPS truncated the track.
So I re-sent it, this time I left it named 'ACTIVE LOG' & it loaded in full onto the GPS, all 2718 points which showed as 27% of the track log.
So it all works if sent as an active track.

silverfox
31st August 2010, 08:42 PM
Looks like I might need to find a copy of Ozzie explorer and try it that way as I do not think that option is in mapsource.
Cheers for the idea!!!

Wahroonga Farm
1st September 2010, 08:59 AM
...Michael?? :)
So I re-sent it, this time I left it named 'ACTIVE LOG' & it loaded in full onto the GPS, all 2718 points which showed as 27% of the track log.

So it all works if sent as an active track.
Onya Michael. :)

Note: Garmins Basecamp supports KML import.

PS There must be another way. ;)

mihermano
1st September 2010, 10:38 AM
Looks like there's several ways to skin this cat.

Wahroonga Farm
1st September 2010, 06:42 PM
Does this (http://www.gpsmap.net/GarminHints.html) very simple 'track renaming technique' work? See "Garmin Track Logging" in the article.

Note: I've modified the quote a tad, to improve it's currency.

To upload tracks to your '60Cx vintage GPS' active log space (a storage area of 2047 to 10,000 points dependant on your GPS), make sure the log is named "Active Log" or "Active Log nnn".

For older GPS such as the 12XL, the track log will need to be named "Track nnn", where "nnn" is a sequence number: 001, 002, 003, etc.

If you want the track log to go into one of the 10 - 200 storage areas (dependant on the GPS), give it some other name. The log will be truncated to fit the storage area, from 250 to 500 points (older GPS only). Note: For later 'Oregon generation' GPS; no track truncation occurs.

Yes ... it's an old link; but probably relevant to earlier generation GPS. :)

Michael
1st September 2010, 07:15 PM
I feel depressed thinking my beloved 60Cx is now an "earlier generation GPS"

At least I have the Aventura, hopefully that will remain 'latest generation' for some time.

Wahroonga Farm
1st September 2010, 07:26 PM
I tried to be ... gentle ... :grouphug

Wahroonga Farm
1st September 2010, 07:37 PM
But does 'it' work?

Michael
1st September 2010, 09:22 PM
But does 'it' work?
My MapSource is not working, but I am guessing it would work.
If the file on the PC is called Des to Bridge.gdb just rename it ACTIVE LOG.gdb, open it in MapSource, then send it to the GPS.