PDA

View Full Version : Uniden GPS301

sclarke7171
3rd August 2006, 05:23 PM
Hi all,
i have a GP301 that i just bought and have found out it does NMEA.
Can i use it with Ozi?????

Or am i just dreaming........

Clarkie
Meridian Colour
Ozi
250k Aust
Destinator and lots more

arthurking83
3rd August 2006, 05:31 PM
G'day Clarkey,

Are these the radio unit/GPS thingys that can give a similar unit your position? (don't know much about them??)

Are there any outputs on the unit? serial(RS232) or even just bare data wires...or something like that?

If it is a radio/gps thingy...I'd be interested in finding out if they can send the NMEA to 'any' receiver(with the right frequency!) connected to a PC, for use with Ozi.

Nicko
6th August 2006, 10:39 AM
Yes, it's one of those radio/gps thingy. Would like to know how you found out about the NMEA or how you extracted it from the unit?

Two Snakes
24th December 2006, 03:59 AM
Yes, it's one of those radio/gps thingy. Would like to know how you found out about the NMEA or how you extracted it from the unit?

If it is a UHF CB/GPS I would say that it is transmitting its GPS signal out on either channel 22 or 23 on the UHF CB band. These channels are reserved for telemetry use on UHF CB but don't expect most people to know about it that use UHF CB.

The models are GPS105 and GPS205. The GP3305 is a "Road Safety Warning System".

We can all use telemetry on UHF CB as long as you follow the Class Licence conditions that cover UHF CB. This is where you can download the class licence,

http://www.acma.gov.au/ACMAINTER.1507598:STANDARD::pc=PC_287

Here is a fact sheet on it,

http://www.acma.gov.au/ACMAINTER.1507598:STANDARD::pc=PC_1688

On telemetry,

Can I use my CB radio to transmit data?

Yes. Data can only be transmitted on UHF channels 22 (476.950 MHz) and 23 (476.975 MHz), and transmission must comply with the restrictions imposed in the CBRS class licence. These channels are dedicated to data purposes and should not be used for voice communication.

These telemetry channels were introduced to the Citizen Band Radio Service (CBRS) in order to allow for remote sensing and control of devices in rural areas but it does have applications for everyone including nifty devices like those Unidens.

You can get hand held 1 watt or mobile 5 watt units.

- Two Snakes

Nicko
9th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Nice info but still like to know if he extracted the NMEA data by copper connectivity, otherwise a lot of engineering to extract, This unit should never have been marketed as it only communicates the GPS to another Uniden, doesn't allow the normal waypoint and track info; just stick to the individual products!