PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Satellite Imagery

Repo Ray
23rd October 2010, 05:40 PM
Hi, Can anyone help me with the Birdseye Satellite Imagery, I would like to know once you pay for the subscription does Garmin send you a package with a product key or do you just down load the software somehow. I also need to know how to start the program off.

Cheers Ray. :hatoff

mihermano
23rd October 2010, 07:36 PM
Hi. Here's a short video on youtube which may or may not be helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73rxjD80iw.

You'll need to download and install the free* "Basecamp" program to your computer, from the Garmin website.

Once installed, open up Basecamp and click on Tools>Download Birdseye Imagery.

But first :): Open up Basecamp, and click on Help>Contents>Working with Birdseye Imagery and Custom Maps ... (This should get you started.)

Repo Ray
23rd October 2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Mihermano, Thanks for the info I have got it working now the vidio was good great stuff.

Many thanks Ray.

alan321
25th October 2010, 02:45 AM
So then does the birdseye satellite imagery actually work for Australia too ? I thought it might have been a USA-only thing.

Is it as good as or better in terms of resolution than say Google Earth ?

I'll probably subscribe anyway but that'll have to wait until I get a Garmin GPS unit. Soon, I think.

- Alan

Nicko
25th October 2010, 08:52 AM
I would advise you to ask more questions on this product such as what area do you get at what resolution.

Smouch
25th October 2010, 03:30 PM
So then does the birdseye satellite imagery actually work for Australia too ?

The imagery is from 'Digital Globe'... some parts of google earth are the same.... and others are not. It may be better or poorer.

I am quite happy with my subscription and will renew.
there is an old thread here with some images.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15967

or I could post a sample at a specific co-ord

Sweetgum
27th October 2010, 05:25 AM
The imagery is from 'Digital Globe'... some parts of google earth are the same.... and others are not. It may be better or poorer.

I am quite happy with my subscription and will renew.

I will also renew the subscription.

Although Nearmap can give much better images in some areas unfortunately you have to put it in the Custom Maps area which is space limited. Whereas I don't think there is a limit on the Birdseye.

The lastest Oregon firmware gives the option of changing the Birdseye image brightness & this seems to help a bit with resolution.

One hopes that Garmin will improve the Birdseye functionallity by allowing the images to be turned on/off as with the maps.

Generally I find the function quite useful