PDA

View Full Version : VMS 4x4 Outback maps iPhone app

VMS
8th November 2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.vms4x4.com/images/content/tmpproducts/gallery_image_15498345.jpg

Hi everyone,

Very exciting news, the VMS 4x4 Outback app is now available for iPhone and iPad through the App Store.

BZ2cfs7VCPc

For more info, visit our website. (http://www.vms4x4.com/product-iphone-vms_app)

Cheers,

Chris

mitchofsutho
9th November 2010, 06:08 AM
So as it is easy to locate in the App Store, under what heading is the VMS Iphone App titled?
What is the cost?

The Explorer
9th November 2010, 06:54 AM
So as it is easy to locate in the App Store, under what heading is the VMS Iphone App titled?
What is the cost?

Details can be found on the link provided above (including a link to the App store). $249.99

Cheers
Greg

VMS
9th November 2010, 01:48 PM
Yep, click the link to the VMS website and there is a link to the app store there.

Anyone moderators interested in doing a review of this app? If so, let me know and i'll issue a promotional code so it's a free download.

photohiker
10th November 2010, 04:53 AM
VMS Map Browser (http://vms4x4.mud-maps.com/#)

Interface is nicely done. Good range of maps available. If you are willing to pay for maps the prices vary from pretty reasonable to pretty expensive.

If the app is $249, are there any useful maps included?

Michael

The Explorer
10th November 2010, 06:32 AM
snip
If the app is $249, are there any useful maps included?

Michael

Hi
Details can be found on the link provided in the first post i.e. the "website". Second sentence...

"Preloaded with the best off road maps from Gregory's UBD and iTOPO" More detailes provided further on.

Itopo = 250K Natmaps I think..may people find these "useful"...not sure about the Gregorys maps - never seen them but appear to have the potential to also be useful depending on what you plan on doing.

Cheers
Greg

mitchofsutho
10th November 2010, 02:08 PM
For 4x4 touring VMS use a combination of iTOPO, which are the 8 NatMap 250K topo Zone Strips and the new Gregory 'Outback' 4x4, 42 map series. VMS used to bundle the Hema 4x4 Regional map series with iTOPO.

VMS has a graphic on their website of the Gregory's Outback 4x4 maps provide with the App. If you click the graphic it takes you to a page (Mudmap) in which you can see the detail on the individual maps.

When you download the App, you receive the Gregory's Australian base map and all Outback 4x4 Regional touring maps.

The Gregory's Australian base map is a touring style map. Although many of the regional maps provide have quite good detail and are on par with the Hema and Westprint Tracks 4x4 maps, not all (eg Cape York) are on par. In my opinion, the Gregory Outback 4x4 maps also do not provide the same coverage of the Hema and Westprint 4x4 regional maps series. You can purchase Westprint maps for the App at an additional cost.

I should add, I actually have a VMS in-car unit and have been very happy with it. It came with Memory Map, pre-loaded with iTOPO 250k topo zone strips and the Hema 4x4 map series. Unfortunately, if I wanted more detailed maps to run in Memory Map, I had to purchase them separately and could not use them on anything else.

As I have a huge quantity of maps I use with OziExplorer, I run OziExplorer CE on the VMS in-car unit as my off-road GPS navigator. I do not know if this is an option with the VMS App. If it is not an option, then you are stuck with having to purchase any additional maps from VMS (Mudmaps).

VMS
14th December 2010, 10:30 AM
With the iPhone app, you can purchase additional maps individually or in value packs called series. There are heaps of maps to choose from:

Vicmap 1:25,000 topos.
NSW topos 1:25k, 1:50k, 1:100k
Westprint outback maps

But the app has enough maps to get you started for majority of our customers. The additional maps are there if you need then any time.

You can also just purchase individual maps. They start from $2-3 dollars so it's very affordable.

skinnee
14th December 2010, 01:37 PM
how does the i pad acquire GPS signal, i understand it has assisted GPS but is there support for external blue tooth gps receivers with the i-pad, can advise please.

VMS
14th December 2010, 01:50 PM
It has A-GPS. So when in celluar coverage, it uses the signal from the telephone network to help triangulate the position. That's why the iOS devices work well even in doors.

When it's out of coverage, it just uses the GPS satellites same as any other GPS.

skinnee
14th December 2010, 01:59 PM
It has A-GPS. So when in celluar coverage, it uses the signal from the telephone network to help triangulate the position. That's why the iOS devices work well even in doors.

When it's out of coverage, it just uses the GPS satellites same as any other GPS.

ok i might have to research it then, have used phone gps before and accuracy has been an issue. id rather have a blue tooth gps receiver connected to the ipad than an internal.

VMS
15th December 2010, 07:24 AM
From our experience, the GPS in the iPhone & iPad is very good and accurate with been assisted. I would say that it's performance and accuracy would be on par to a Sirf3 chipset.

I don't think it's possible to use an external GPS receiver with an iPhone or iPad. The operating system is pretty locked down and doesn't allow alot of flexibility.

phillipsart
23rd December 2010, 04:12 PM
I purchased myself a 64gig 3G iPad a few weeks back while in Sydney. Surprisingly the GPS built in to my iPad does a good job. I believe you need to purchase a iPad with the 3G network.

I been told that only the 3G model comes with the GPS chip.
I find using wifi for the GPS is not as accurate as the 3G model.

ForkeSeal
26th December 2010, 08:13 AM
Yep, only 3G models have GPS. The Wifi models don't have the hardware.

Mud Map
12th May 2011, 07:12 AM
Wifi versions doesn't have an inbuilt GPS and relies on wifi triangulation which is why the accuracy is bad. If you are using it as an off road GPS, then it won't work at all. So for all the wifi iPad owners, here is a bluetooth GPS solution: http://www.gns-gmbh.com/shop/xtc/product_info.php?language=en&info=p184_GNS-5870-MFi-GPS-BT-Receiver---Made-for-iPhone.html

Nicko
4th August 2011, 11:31 AM
To all the iPad users, we apologize for MUD MAP not been a universal app. We would like to share our road map and plans of where we are headed to help you make more informative decision when purchasing.

We are focusing the MUD MAP brand towards Outdoor Recreational Activities EXCLUDING 4WD. This is clear in all the info we have published on the App Store & our website. This is one of the reasons why V3 is an iPhone app. The other reason is that there is a lot of work we need to do so it can be a universal app and since the iPad as a navigation tool is only useful for vehicle orientated activities, therefor we made the decision to release MUD MAP as an iPhone app.

For the 4WDers out there, VMS will be represented in this space. As updates appear, you can expect features relevant to 4WDing to become available in the VMS app. If you have suggestions on how to improve the app thats related to 4WDing, it most likely will in included in the VMS app.

This approach will allow us to better tailor features of each app to suit the activities they are intended for.

Now, we are working on an update of the VMS app. It will include all the features on MUD MAP v3. Like the previous versions, the VMS will be bundled with iTOPO & Gregory's maps as well and will retail for $199. Any customers who already own the VMS app will receive a free update to VMS v3. Oh, and the VMS app will be universal on both iPhone & iPad. Our goal is to have VMS V3 out within 1 month.

For customers who intend to use our products for 4WDing, please, please follow our advise and get the VMS app. For those who have purchased MUD MAP v3 but feel that you should of got the VMS app instead, we would like to extend a offer to migrate to VMS free of charge. What you need to do is purchase the VMS app, send us the invoice from iTunes that clearly indicate the purchase of both MUD MAP v3 & VMS app. We will also require your paypal email address. Once we verify all this info, we'll pay $59.99 to your nominated PayPal account. This offer is valid until the end of August. Alternatively, you can get in touch with Apple and request a refund on the purchase of MUD MAP v3, then buy the VMS app.

If you have purchase any of the iTOPO or Gregory’s maps from mud-maps.com (http://mud-maps.com/) and would also like to upgrade to VMS, email us the iTunes invoice for the VMS app & the invoice for the maps you purchased & your nominated PayPal account, we’ll credit your map purchases.

Please note, if you purchase the VMS app right now, it is V2. But when we update it to V3, you'll get the upgrade free of charge.

We hope that this post has reduced confusion and also demonstrate that we really care about our customer's and satisfaction with our product. From all of us at MUD MAP, thank you so much for your support. We couldn't of reached #1 navigation app in the App Store without your help. We promise to make our apps the best they can possibly be and we hope this care comes across when you use our apps. Thank you all for your support.

Yours Sincerely

Li Xia

Founder of MUD INC.