PDA

View Full Version : Updating PDA

Chadley
7th September 2006, 04:55 PM
I am currently using a HP Ipaq RZ1710 with OziCE with no problems.
I have had the PDA for a couple of years now (for work) and the battery does not hold its charge any more which is about the only problem I have had.
I have read other posts that have proposed this question, and I am pretty set on HP, but could be persuaded to other brands.
What I would like to know is what accessories etc would be handy, ie bluetooth, wifi etc.
I have an external antenna that plugs into the Ipaq and a 12 volt power supply, so I would hope to use this as well.
Work are willing to purchase it for me, though I would like to keep costs down, so please no extravagant options.
I am also considering using an auto route type software at a later date.

Chris
Camden NSW

PED04
9th September 2006, 09:37 AM
Have you looked at any of the Ipaq range that might suit you? Alternatively look at the IMate range.

Chadley
9th September 2006, 11:49 AM
The 2 ipaq's (HP) that I am considering are the hx4700 (old stock) and hx 2490, though after trolling through some old posts here, it appears that the Asus mypal A636 (with in-built GPS) sounds pretty reasonable.
Have not looked at the imate range. Any particular one you recomend?
Thanks for your help

Chris

Chadley
9th September 2006, 01:21 PM
Just had a look at the iMate PDA N GPS. Windows Mobile which is great. Has an inbuilt GPS antenna. Looks the goods.
PED04 is this the model you recommended?

Chris

hangover
10th September 2006, 10:00 AM
Why not just get a new battery for the ipaq you have now ?

Chadley
10th September 2006, 06:34 PM
To replace the battery, this model needs to go back to an authorised HP repairer and have the battery surgically removed. I spoke to DSE where I purchased it from, and though they were unsure of the exact price, they belive it was in excess of $120.00. Have not looked at getting quotes from anywhere else as yet, but work has offered to purchase new one. If work is paying, then I don't wish to argue. :food-smil

Chris

arthurking83
10th September 2006, 06:57 PM
To replace the battery, this model needs to go back to an authorised HP repairer and have the battery surgically removed. ....

:eek:

That's the kinda thing I really like to avoid!

I got a Toshiba recently and it came with a hi-cap battery, which only just fit in the leather case.
So I went looking for a standard battery just for the sake of easier removal from the leather case. $30! fits in about 5 seconds.....

Hopefully the battery is of a normal design, in the next PDA you're looking to get?

geoffsa
11th September 2006, 07:28 AM
Asus Mypal range of PDA's have removeable batteries.

Geoff.

Chadley
11th September 2006, 07:44 AM
Yes that was my mistake, one which I don't want to make again.
The MyPal is looking better all the time!

Chadley
12th September 2006, 06:58 PM
Asus have 2 models in the A636 range, the A636 & A636N. The N comes with Bluetooth 2 and WLAN 802.11 b & g, the A636 Bluetooth 1.2 and WLAN 802.11b. :confused-
Can anyone tell me is this is a huge difference, or am I wasting my time. I run a WLAN at home, but don't do a hell of a lot with it, and I don't exchange a lot of information on Bluetooth.
If I go for the N I have to wait a bit longer, and I am rather an impatient bastard.

Chris

hangover
21st September 2006, 06:02 PM
Asus have 2 models in the A636 range, the A636 & A636N. The N comes with Bluetooth 2 and WLAN 802.11 b & g, the A636 Bluetooth 1.2 and WLAN 802.11b. :confused-
Can anyone tell me is this is a huge difference, or am I wasting my time. I run a WLAN at home, but don't do a hell of a lot with it, and I don't exchange a lot of information on Bluetooth.
If I go for the N I have to wait a bit longer, and I am rather an impatient bastard.

Chris

I understand, when i want something, i want it NOW !

geoffsa
22nd September 2006, 09:43 AM
Bluetooth 1.2 and WLAN 802.11b. :confused-

Chris

Chris, I have read about both on the Asus website, and there is not a lot of difference between the two.
Geoff.

Chadley
22nd September 2006, 03:47 PM
The decision was made for me. They ran out of the 636 and had the 636N only. As it is, work payed for the extra so I'm a happy little camper.

Its charging as I am talking.

Chris

Chadley
23rd September 2006, 06:04 PM
Can't get the GPS to communicate with Ozi CE.
PDA and Ozi set to COM 1
Baud = 4800
Sentence = GPRMC
Output Datum = WGS 84

It then gives me the message "No data received from the GPS"

Can anyone help please :confused-

Chris
Sydney

arthurking83
23rd September 2006, 10:00 PM
Not 100% sure but I thought com1 is usually reserved (for 'hard'hardware(like serial), not wireless/virtual types)

First I'd be trying to use something like Com6 (or 7,8,9??) One of those is usually reserved for Bt usage.

I could be totally incorrect, as I'm only conveying my experiences with my old Toshiba :o

I did have an earlier post to an app that worked well for testing comport connections/throughput ....

HERE (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1344&highlight=port+test)

hope that helps

geoffsa
6th October 2006, 11:50 AM
Chris,

What did you buy in the end?

I have the Asus Mypal 636N, there is not a lot of difference between the 636 & the 636N, only Bluetooth 1.2 V's Blutooth 2.

Great unit, and quite fast.

Geoff.

Mr Router
6th October 2006, 03:26 PM
Can't get the GPS to communicate with Ozi CE.
PDA and Ozi set to COM 1
Baud = 4800
Sentence = GPRMC
Output Datum = WGS 84

It then gives me the message "No data received from the GPS"

Can anyone help please :confused-

Chris
Sydney

Have you mentioned what GPS you have?

Chadley
7th October 2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry, everyone, have been away (travelled down to Swan Hill). I had to get the A636N because they ran out of the A636.
I eventually got it to work, on COM 5 the 2nd time I tried it. Must have been me.

Geoff, it appears that we have the same PDA. Is there a possibility you could supply me with the same specs ie baud rate etc.

So far working very well, but a little bit slow on a cold start, compared to the external GPS receiver I had on my last HP PDA.

Thanks everyone

Chadley