PDA

View Full Version : Garmin vs Geocaching.com ?

bshwckr
15th November 2010, 01:11 PM
There is a strong rumour kicking around that Garmin are about to launch their own geocaching website to compete with Groundspeak's geocaching.com.

The conspiracy theory started when the latest firmware update to support the Chirp also removed the geocaching.com icon from the GPS replacing it with a generic caching icon.

The other hint was how geocaching.com were not made aware of the chirp's existence and only found out about it by chance 2 days before its release. Garmin also recently purchased the domain opencaching.com.

Wahroonga Farm
15th November 2010, 01:21 PM
Interesting.

A couple of links

http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5824

http://itsnotaboutthenumbers.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/garmin-vs-geocaching-com/

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/30015329

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocaching-dessau.de%2Fwp%2F%3Fp%3D558%26utm_source%3Dfeedbur ner%26utm_medium%3Dfeed%26utm_campaign%3DFeed%253A %2BGeocachingDessau%2B%2528Geocaching%2BDessau%252 9

Smouch
15th November 2010, 02:26 PM
Even with myself being primarily a Garmin cacher, I don't think I would want to go down the Garmin cache route. This is probably the same reason I haven't been interested in geocaching.com.au specific caches and why I have not invested in a 'Chirp" yet. For $20 US a year I think GC.com does a pretty good job.

Wahroonga Farm
15th November 2010, 02:59 PM
It is only a conspiracy theory. :)

Nicko
15th November 2010, 03:04 PM
This is not hard to believe considering what they did with the current range of handheld's firmware update that eliminated products such as OzTopo and basically caused CGSMapper to shut down all but the free version.

This is so clandestine, one of the major reasons for people to like Garmin is the freedom to choose what maps and what Geocache. It can only get better for other brands.

Either Garmin are confident they have the followers to follow or are plainly vying to capture the market to later charge for the priviledge. Someone is clearly not playing anymore because the rest of us kids are not good enough for them!

Nicko
15th November 2010, 03:14 PM
what interests me is that some folk don't like the idea of paying geocache for the efforts of individuals. However, I am sure to run the site is expensive thus to what amount is Geocache profitting?

I like the idea of not paying for anything, but you have to look at the big picture, Garmin can afford to set up such a site and give or free,why, well making a billion dollars net profit a year is why. But it is clearly to stifle competition and is absurd.

Nicko
15th November 2010, 04:28 PM
It is only a conspiracy theory. :)

What is a conspiracy theory? That Garmin are setting up their own Gecaching site?

bshwckr
15th November 2010, 04:30 PM
For some reason, people are quick to criticise Groundspeak for their $30 a year Premium Membership and their $13 iPhone app. I have seen people welcoming the idea of Garmin starting up in opposition so that Groundspeak have genuine competition to keep them honest.
As far as I am concerned, $30 a year to help maintain a website that gives me an enormous amount of fun and gets me off the couch and into the wilds is money well spent. And if you dont want to, there is no need to pay this $30. You can just use the free features if you like. You have a choice.
With the "hugely expensive" iPhone App at $13, ITS $13!!!! What do you get for that these days. The geocaching app is the best app on my iPhone and it keeps getting better all the time with free updates. Given its usability, I would pay many times more than the current asking price and still consider that I had a bargain.
Garmin will struggle to improve on geocaching.com and for that matter, geocaching.com.au. They better not remove the current geocaching ability from my Oregon 450 with a firmware upgrade or they can take it back. If they start to sell new GPS's with less than the current geocaching ability, I doubt they will sell many. :soapbox
Anyway, it is just a rumour at this stage. :blah

bshwckr
15th November 2010, 04:35 PM
What is a conspiracy theory? That Garmin are setting up their own Gecaching site?
Yes, that is the theory.

Nicko
15th November 2010, 04:40 PM
I will bet a Sportiva to the first 3 who say that Garmin are not setting up a geocaching site in direct competition to GC.com

In return, I want an article ( of my choice and size and time frame) for the magazine ;)

Wahroonga Farm
15th November 2010, 05:16 PM
Not one, not two ... but three Sportivas! :)

Nicko
15th November 2010, 08:27 PM
That's one per person! Or could be just the one between three people ;) Come on, answers within 24 hours form this post otherwise bet is off :)

bshwckr
16th November 2010, 03:52 AM
I think you have a safe bet Nicko.

Wahroonga Farm
16th November 2010, 03:57 AM
The real issue is how it all plays out and how hard ball it gets.

The Explorer
16th November 2010, 05:36 AM
Keep in mind there is also Geocaching Australia (http://geocaching.com.au/)....so you can, in theory, totally ignore geocaching.com and whatever Garmin come up with.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
16th November 2010, 09:05 AM
I hope Geocaching Australia is a registered name ;) Took me two tries to get GPS Australia! Anyway, as you said WH, how it plays out will be the only way to know how it goes. I think Garmin will be succesful because of the integration of the geocaching.com to their devices. But it is clear their agenda is self serving rather than suited to the needs of the customer.

phillipsart
16th November 2010, 10:11 AM
Even with myself being primarily a Garmin cacher, I don't think I would want to go down the Garmin cache route. This is probably the same reason I haven't been interested in geocaching.com.au specific caches and why I have not invested in a 'Chirp" yet. For $20 US a year I think GC.com does a pretty good job.

I agree with all the above.

The Explorer
16th November 2010, 05:11 PM
I think Garmin will be succesful because of the integration of the geocaching.com to their devices.

And Magellan and Delorme - imagine if all caches became manufacturer specific....mayhem.

Cheers
Greg

dugeem
8th December 2010, 07:46 PM
Free and should work with lots of different GPSr – not just Garmin!

If you have a Garmin GPS you can upload/download data via browser plugin!

Wahroonga Farm
9th December 2010, 04:55 AM
Let the Games begin. :)

Your existing Garmin username logs you in. ;)

Garmin is just one of countless businesses – large and small, corporate and self-owned – that make up the interdependent geocaching ecosystem. ...

Since geocaching first began, Garmin has embraced the role of innovator and leader. Garmin was the first company to offer open and closed treasure chest icons on the screen of the device.

Garmin devices featured the first dedicated application with the “Geocaching compass,” and the direct “Send to GPS” function started with Garmin. In considering the environment – and ease of use – the industry leader introduced paperless geocaching for increased efficiency and decreased waste as users could see descriptions and helpful hints right on the screen of the device instead of relying on numerous printouts for each cache.http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/12/geocaching-free-for-all-garmin-launches-opencachingcom.html

We believe that geocaching should be as free and open as the great outdoors, so we built a place where anyone with an Internet connection and a compatible GPS-enabled device can upload, download and log caches.

No subscriptions, membership fees or paid content. That doesn’t mean we’ve sacrificed any features, though. With support for a broad range of GPS-enabled devices, including those with eco-friendly “paperless geocaching” capabilities – it’s the perfect tool for everyone from beginners to advanced trekkers.And now we have Opie http://garmin.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451bb7069e20148c67c0a40970c-200wi Garmins helpful and fun-loving Geocache mascot.

And ... not surprisingly ... very nice maps. :)

Our Public Servants are on the ball.

Nicko
9th December 2010, 09:15 AM
Would a none Garmin user use the Garmin web site? Most likely as it is free, well notreally free as Garmin owners are paying for it in the cost of garmin products. If no one all of a sudden stopped buyinggarmin I think you will quickly see no Garmin geocache web site or pay as you go.... for obvious reeasons.

It would be nice to know why garmin have done this, not the public version but the true version. Maybe it might be on wikileaks ;)

mihermano
9th December 2010, 10:08 AM
Yes it would be very interesting to know for sure what they're up to. Galactic domination perhaps. :vader

So far they've stopped playing nicely with others, and mainly seem to be poaching geocaches from other listing websites.