PDA

View Full Version : Asus netbook/tablet use with GPS ??

BeesKnees
19th March 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi all,
I'm a total novice to GPS systems :confused
so, first of the questions:
I've been searching about and pretty much decided to get one of these netbook/tablet hybrid beasties
http://www.wireless1.com.au/images/it/laptop/asus/eeepc/t101mt/blk084m/g1.jpg
I figure the PC will give me more usefulness overall than just a dedicated GPS unit.....I hope.
At this stage I'm also thinking Trackranger software...only 'cos it seems to be more user friendly. Now I know most people are using Ozi, (even just looking at the 2 websites the Trackranger site is user friendly.) and it seems that both do the same job??
One thing I'm wondering:

Using this type of set up, how does turn by turn voice compare with say, a dedicated GPS unit? I would only want this for city work of course, but it's a large part traveling at times so I want it to work well. Not worried about traffic updates etc. just good directional help.

No doubt I'll have a lot more questions yet

mihermano
19th March 2011, 05:14 PM
Hi. You may find that a dedicated GPS for the car would be easier and cheaper.

I occassionally fire up the EeePC for GPS use.
It's a 1001HA with
Garmin nRoute software (discontinued) and
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for the signal.
EDIT: City Navigator (unlocked to the 60CSx), or OSM World Routable maps.

Turn by voice and most navigational operation is good.
You might find some pointers here http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

:)

Nicko
19th March 2011, 05:47 PM
I suggest TwoNav for Tablet, it allows you to have both on and off road and view raster and vector at the same time and does auto-routing.

BeesKnees
19th March 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I was trying to limit the number (cost) of doodads to buy by using the PC/GPS receiver thingy. PC would have bigger screen, internet and email simplicity.

it allows you to have both on and off road
OK, dummies question here:
What is the difference between on road and off road (other than the obvious :D)

and view raster and vector at the same time and does auto-routing.
And....why do I need to view both at once.
Also does the Twonav work with full Win7 of just the CE version
Sorry for the lame questions, but I'm still trying to get the gist of it all.

Nicko
19th March 2011, 10:04 PM
look at the TwoNav.com web site for what it works with.

Why both? Vector data is not just cities, more data is being made available for the countryside which means you are able to see all data availble all at the same time without having to swap programs.

You asked about auto routing so I suggested TwoNav.

You don't have to have auto routing but the option is there if need to and TwoNav Tablet is only a bit more than OziExplorer, cheaper than Trackranger and is far more flexible in map types/formats than either.