PDA

View Full Version : Any issues running OziE on a HP iPAQ

leftcliq
2nd November 2006, 06:20 PM
Hi People,
I'm a newbie trying to work out what the best moving map software to use with my HP iPAQ hw6965 PDA. I'm seriously looking at the OziExplorer software as it seems very popular on this forum. Does anyone have OziE running on there HP iPAQ PDA and what issues did you encounter? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale.

poundy
2nd November 2006, 06:27 PM
out of interest, what windows CE version does that iPaq run? Win Mobile 5??

As far as OziCE goes, I'd suggest you just download the demo and try before you buy !

leftcliq
2nd November 2006, 06:32 PM
out of interest, what windows CE version does that iPaq run? Win Mobile 5??

As far as OziCE goes, I'd suggest you just download the demo and try before you buy !

Hi Poundy,
Yeah its running Windows Mobile 5.0. Yeah I'll download the demo and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Dale.

michaeld
3rd November 2006, 07:37 AM
my 3660 has a navman sleive? and works good

leftcliq
4th November 2006, 11:14 AM
my 3660 has a navman sleive? and works good

Ok what do you mean by a navman sleive? Is this an external unit attached to the port of the PDA?

-Dale.

bushpig59
4th November 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi People,
I'm a newbie trying to work out what the best moving map software to use with my HP iPAQ hw6965 PDA. I'm seriously looking at the OziExplorer software as it seems very popular on this forum. Does anyone have OziE running on there HP iPAQ PDA and what issues did you encounter? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale.
I have an earlier hp iPAQ pocket pc 2003 prem edition run oziexp ce works very well had early issues due to mem management doubt if you will have same prob.... as mentioned in previous answer down load demo see how you go. Been using it for a few months now quite happy with it

WILLY
4th November 2006, 02:53 PM
OK so you have a HP IPAQ HW6965.

That's the latest with Integrated Wi-Fi. Not sure but the other specs are similar to the HW6915 i use.

OZICE is fine on the HW6915. The small 240 x 240 screen is fine. My main use is where am I, how did I get here and do I turn left or right at this junction!!

The two known issues for me are

1. if you plan on using your own maps and calibrating them - this must be done on the OZI on the PC because I don't think you can calibrate on the PDA version. Then you need to use the file conversion to create a file OZI CE can use. It's not as cumbersome as it sounds. I tried Navio and GPSDash which both allow you to calibrate 'in the field' on your PDA. I switched over to OZi CE and OZI PC because of the number of precallibrated files out there. So far I've used Natmap Raster Premium ($120) and also used Landsat 10 (free download from NASA - the links are on the OZI site) Get the biggest SD card you can. I use Sandisk 2 gb. I don't know if the HW6915 can manage a high speed 4 gb card.

2. One annoying gliche for me has been when zooming out on a Natmap the screen goes blank when zooming from 50% to 40%. this may be because of the size of the map (eg zone 56)

Go ahead spend the money. You won't be altogether disappointed. I wasted money on Navio before realising that Ozi was fully supported with lots of callibration files available.

Cheers!

leftcliq
4th November 2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks Willy
I'm planning to use TomTom for my suburban journeys and use OZICE for my touring trips. I've got a 1GB mini SD card and I'm going to be getting a 2Gb mini SD card very soon. The hw6965 is good but there's no actual on/off switch. You can suspend it fine but to reboot the PDA, I have to take the battery out.

-Dale.

michaeld
5th November 2006, 06:11 AM
the ipaq slides into the navman gps sleave whivh has a CF card slot to store maps and removeable arm to mount on the windscreen

Ok what do you mean by a navman sleive? Is this an external unit attached to the port of the PDA?

-Dale.

leftcliq
7th November 2006, 06:22 AM
Any idea where I would buy a navman slieve and are they expensive?

-Dale.

michaeld
7th November 2006, 04:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ipaq-w-Navman-3450-GPS-Voice-Navigation-MAPS_W0QQitemZ110050996916QQihZ001QQcategoryZ34290 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the same as mine , I got mine for $320 off ebay second hand

hangover
7th November 2006, 06:56 PM
Any idea where I would buy a navman slieve and are they expensive?

-Dale.

They will only fit certain models, just get a bluetooth gps it will be cheaper than the sleeve and more compact.

Grumps
8th November 2006, 04:51 PM
I've been using an Ipaq 4150 with Ozi ce for nearly 2 years, with an Etrex plugged in. The only issue I have is not being able to use the GPS while the software for the Add on keyboard
is loaded. Need less to say I have not used the Add on keyboard for a long time. Any one want to buy a keyboard for a 4150??? I run some fire maps, Melways, Adventure series and various maps scanned and calbrated on the PC.
One thing I haven't been able to do on the Ipaq is to "Go To" a waypoint. I can set up routes etc but just to pick one waypoint in an area and be directed to that........ Its easier on the Etrex.

Grumps

hangover
9th November 2006, 06:28 PM
I've been using an Ipaq 4150 with Ozi ce for nearly 2 years, with an Etrex plugged in. The only issue I have is not being able to use the GPS while the software for the Add on keyboard
is loaded. Need less to say I have not used the Add on keyboard for a long time. Any one want to buy a keyboard for a 4150??? I run some fire maps, Melways, Adventure series and various maps scanned and calbrated on the PC.
One thing I haven't been able to do on the Ipaq is to "Go To" a waypoint. I can set up routes etc but just to pick one waypoint in an area and be directed to that........ Its easier on the Etrex.

Grumps

You need port splitter, this will allow you to use multiple bluetooth connections on your pda, I have the same setup, Ipaq 4150 and bt gps great compact little setup.

ianswalkingthedog
10th November 2006, 07:11 AM
Dale,

I am running a HP iPAQ 6515 with ozieCE and have not had any problems worth talking about (just ignorance!). I have a RAM mount for the unit attached to a small bracket added to the dash. I run it alongside my Magellan on a similar RAM mount (got it from GPSOZ). I am very happy, but the requirement to keep the 'quick GPS' files up to date is a pain, especilly when out of mobile range.

I am looking at going the full PC route for the car, but have to get the $$$$ first.

p-jay
17th November 2006, 09:58 AM
i have an Ipaq 6365 ,Windows CE 2003 working with a GPS Haicom and a Bluetooth cube , both supplied by J Appleseed. i originally had a serial connection , but for some reason it didn't work . i was sceptical about the BT but once i plugged it in it worked fine. the only problem i have is when i shut down the power ( turn the key off) , and start again . quite often i have to do a 'soft' reboot to get the BT talking again . i have tried numerous things but can't seem to get to the root cause. i just came back from a quick trip to Qld and ran Ozie all the way , worked great. and i am very pleased with such a simple setup. i put a RAM mount on my ashtray and 12v connection to the IPAQ and it all works fine.