PDA

View Full Version : Orienteering program

Cattle-ist
1st May 2011, 10:58 AM
I`ve been told about an orienteering program and site that I haven`t noticed on the forum .

www.ocad.com

I haven`t used it yet but it could be good as the guy told me about his way to get maps down to 'sub metre' clarity as they need that for plotting courses . These maps are downloadable to GPSs

Could someone who knows what they are doing have a look and see ?

Avtrician
1st May 2011, 02:22 PM
Seems to be a map creation program, dont know if it can export suitable for Garmin use. being able to create maps to be sub meter may be nice, but your average gps is only accurate to about 2 meters max (or min depending on the way you look at it)

At about 500 euros (approx A$700) for a licence, its very expensive..

Cattle-ist
1st May 2011, 02:44 PM
The guy told me that he uses it with his Garmin all the time , he did mention his maps are quite detailed as when planning orienteering events they almost need to decide which blade of grass ...... ok , ok , I`m over-exaggerating a little , but they like to see things like termite mounds and the colour of rocks etc to distinguish directions and help layout the course .

He had planned to do mapping for the RFS but they didn`t take him up on it .

I also mentioned the forum to him , so hopefully he`s going to become active soon .

Smouch
1st May 2011, 09:35 PM
I installed OCAD 10 Trial and had a bit of a play... and sure it has all the orienteering map symbols for overlaying on your raster image....But couldn't find anywhere to import a map from the web... Sure If you already had a sub-metre geo-referenced satellite image it would be handy software for Orienteering. P.S. it can export rasters as .KMZ so Garmin custom mapping may be OK...Couldnt try it as I lost my Oregon 550 Geocaching last week and Im still totally ****ed over it :mad