PDA

View Full Version : Erasing Data Card 276C

Coldrider
17th May 2011, 07:43 AM
I want to erase the Garmin datacard for my GPSMap 276C. Apparently I need a Garmin USB card reader and I don't have one. Does anyone know of a service that does this?
Is there another method?

kiwitonita
9th October 2011, 04:14 PM
The Garmin data card is a nasty bit of work, spoiling the otherwise superb 276C which is still in demand for it's advanced features, large, bright and fast screen. The card cannot be read like a normal card as far as I know. I have a couple of USB to Garmin card writers - all they can do is send maps to the card via MapSource. One cannot even see the contents or serial number of the card - the card itself does not appear in Windows for example.

If you'd like to buy a USB Garmin card writer get in touch otherwise I can reload the card for you or just loan you the writer - just cover postage - but I'm in Christchurch, NZ.

Coldrider
10th October 2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Kiwi. I ended up selling the data card to someone and they clamed they had a card reader to do the job.
Just for interest, I called a few local Garmin agents and none of them offered the service of reformatting the data-card. This surprised me but I do understand that my 276C, in spite of its excellence, is basically an obsolete unit.

Nicko
10th October 2011, 04:00 PM
Erasing a genuine pre-installed map version is a no no. If it's a blank Garmin Card with teh map installed then that is fine. As for the Garmin Datacard Card Reader that I think is not available or hard to come by these days.

The Explorer
10th October 2011, 05:08 PM
Erasing a genuine pre-installed map version is a no no. If it's a blank Garmin Card with teh map installed then that is fine. As for the Garmin Datacard Card Reader that I think is not available or hard to come by these days.

Available from US on eBay for ~$60.

Cheers
Greg