PDA

View Full Version : PDA Mounts (4x4)

Beast Of Bodmin
22nd November 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Guys,
Anybody using the 'clic-on' brand mounting system that GPSOz are now selling?
Just interested, as l am replacing the Seidio (broken one) under warranty with this brand.

Although l haven't 'shopped around', just happy that Brian is replacing it, l have got to make up the cost difference. Clic-on new price would be $224 for a suction cup mount with iPaq hx4700 head - head is powered and has cable connectivity to Megellan Meridian.
J-Appleseed have a Haicom mount at ~$70 which looks more fragile but is a lot cheaper.

I am not interested in absolute cheapest, there are many on ebay that fit that bill. But l do want rugged reliable service that wont see the iPaq drop to the floor.

Any feedback??
BoB

hangover
22nd November 2006, 01:24 PM
I have a cheap ebay $25 jobby that works for me, if it doesnt hold then maybe an Arkon powered mount would be my next choice any more expensive than that and i would make my own.

Corry
22nd November 2006, 07:18 PM
I've got the Arkon one and it has broken on me twice now. Inside it the two arms have a little cog that locks them. The little cog is pivoting on a small shaft which has broken, again. Will fix it again this weekend until I work out what to do.
I'm also looking for something that isn't windscreen mounted either.

Cheers
Corry

Beast Of Bodmin
30th November 2006, 07:41 PM
The new mount arrived today. It's a ClicOn brand part made in .....Sweden ! Not ****** China for once.

I've got to work out the wiring, l need to get hold of a Magellan Meridian plug with a PS2 on the other end.
Any ideas where l can buy these? Loose is ok if l can find some 4core decent cable.

Maybe with hindsight (great thing that hindsight), l should have forgot about connecting the Meridian and just bought a bluetooth gps. I bet the price wouldn't be much different in the end.

I haven't tried the suction cup yet, the stem is a lockable joint, not the bendable type like the Seidio. Overall the quality looks great. But proof of the pudding etc etc...

BoB

Corry
3rd December 2006, 06:53 PM
Any chances of some happy snaps of the mount. My Arkon one finally snapped completely on Saturday night. I fixed the ratchet mechanism in it again, and now the alloy shaft has snapped off.
I haven't even had to adjust it too many times. Once it was fitted, it has stayed there. Won't be buying another one of them, need to find something else now.

Corry

Beast Of Bodmin
4th December 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Corry,
I'd love to post a couple of pics, but have no idea how to.....
However, the website with all the details is http://www.clicon.com.au/kiosk/

mine was supplied through gpsoz in mona vale, nsw. It is the powered mount with ps2 connector to hook up the gps. the window mount is the suction cup type.
I'm, going to re-use the gpsoz supplied magellan cable but cut off the rj connector (like phone handset) and solder on a ps2 from jaycar. Just got to confirm the pin outs and magellan supply voltage.

Had a quick look at your www too. Some good terrain up there!

Cheers
BoB

Beast Of Bodmin
7th December 2006, 05:59 PM
All change,
I did some probing around with a voltmeter and found that while the Seidio mount gave 4.8vdc in comparison to the magellan recommended 3.8v, the new clic-on gave 5.4vdc. A quick call to Brian at GPS Oz, and it was confirmed, l have the wrong mount.

It's gone back now and l'm waiting for a 'destinator' mount. The cable is a special one-off build that has a dual regulator in the ciggy lighter adapter to give 5vdc (ipaq) and 3.8vdc (magellan).

More info when it all comes back to me again.
BoB

Hi Corry,
I'd love to post a couple of pics, but have no idea how to.....
However, the website with all the details is http://www.clicon.com.au/kiosk/

mine was supplied through gpsoz in mona vale, nsw. It is the powered mount with ps2 connector to hook up the gps. the window mount is the suction cup type.
I'm, going to re-use the gpsoz supplied magellan cable but cut off the rj connector (like phone handset) and solder on a ps2 from jaycar. Just got to confirm the pin outs and magellan supply voltage.

Had a quick look at your www too. Some good terrain up there!

Cheers
BoB

Nicko
9th January 2007, 12:42 PM
what about RAM mounts from this site's shop?

Beast Of Bodmin
9th January 2007, 08:03 PM
Hi OctaPC,
I'd forgotten that l'd made this thread, since l posted the '****** pda' thread.

I had a look at the RAM website, but the actual mount head looked really chunky. The clic-on looked sleeker.
As l wanted it on a suction cup, l thought the clic-on was better. I had to pay ectra for a cable to power the meridian, but all appeared good.
Then l had to post the '****** pda' thread. Basically the ipaq pcb is slightly bent and wont contact the clic-on connector. Another guy responded with the same problem too.

I want to try and shim the connector contact strip, but am unsure what to use. That's my current dilemma.

Status is that whole system will work and talk together but not when all clamped up.
Money is spent, meridian & pda look great on a single mount, comms and mapping are good. Just won't work as planned!

Distressed
BoB :confused-