PDA

View Full Version : iGIS App for Apple

Nicko
4th August 2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.geometryit.com/igis/?cat=1

iGIS Features (http://www.geometryit.com/igis/?p=126)

True GIS functionality is finally available for the iPad or iPhone! Your data, your maps, your device. Overlaid on satellite and map imagery, you can now import your spatial data and view it wherever you are.

Importing data is easy with our unique data import facility available for Macs, PC’s and Linux. Just point your browser at the iPhone’s URL and the import process starts. Only ESRI Shapefiles (.shp) are supported at the moment. More formats to come.

Your spatial data is stored on the iPad, so there’s no need for an Internet connection to see your data – great for field work. We also support over 3000 projections, so no need for conversion.

We include support for multiple layers or points, lines or polygons – all styled as you like.

You can edit your data also – points, lines and polygons can be added. Track the GPS , use it to set waypoints or touch the screen – there are may ways to capture spatial data with iGIS.

Once you’ve collected the spatial data, you can add attributes in a data entry form. Even better you can set the format of this form to suit your needs. Code lists, time stamps auto increment fields, default values, field ordering, feild hiding, etc, are supported. All data can be exported as an ESRI shapefile for your use back in your enterprise.

Look at the list of features:

Unique menu system, with map icons - set your own icon from the map!
Full rotation support in iPads
Create lines, polygons and points
Use inbuilt GPS for tracking logs and waypoints
Data entry forms can be customized with code lists, timestamps, etc.
Import and export using ESRI Shapefiles.
Shows current GPS location on iPad + compass.
Zoom to current location or data extent
Pan, zoom in, zoom out on maps
Changeable drawing styles for a layer: size, color, transparency
Can arrange layer order and turn layers on/off easily
Can set the zoom scale for a layer via a simple slider
Select and interrogate layer information via a point and click
Shows the selected data on the map
Show current coordinate in any chosen projection
This application is designed for GIS professionals and an understanding of some basic GIS concepts such as layers, shapefiles, projections etc, would make using iGIS simpler.

The Explorer
4th August 2011, 04:39 PM
How much does it cost?

Cheers
Greg

Smouch
5th August 2011, 01:45 AM
How much does it cost?

Cheers
Greg
Currently free for a limited time on the app store

The Explorer
5th August 2011, 07:54 AM
Currently free for a limited time on the app store

Oh - I thought that meant ...it runs for a while for free and then you have to pay...but if its free thats good. Wish I had an iphone. Looks like a handy app.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
5th August 2011, 10:15 AM
I am confused as to whether or not it has the attribute functionality

The Explorer
5th August 2011, 10:53 AM
I am confused as to whether or not it has the attribute functionality

The statement "Once you’ve collected the spatial data, you can add attributes in a data entry form. Even better you can set the format of this form to suit your needs. Code lists, time stamps auto increment fields, default values, field ordering, field hiding, etc, are supported." seems to suggest you can add and edit attributes..or do you mean the ability to use attributes to change how data is displayed (eg apply filters or display differently according to specifics attribute)? Not sure about that.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
5th August 2011, 11:08 AM
Collecting attributes for an object say a tree and attribute collection such as canopy radius, type of tree etc etc. Can it draw polylines and polygons on screen and shading such as hashing etc in those polygons. Stuff that a simple GIS requirement would need.

Javelyn
5th August 2011, 04:08 PM
Collecting attributes for an object say a tree and attribute collection such as canopy radius, type of tree etc etc. Can it draw oalylines and polygones on screen and shading such as hashing etc in those polygons. Stuff that a simple GIS requirement would need.

Where'd the polly go? :bigwave

Michael
5th August 2011, 05:11 PM
Where'd the polly go?
In midwinter?
They have all gone on important fact finding missions to the northern hemisphere.

Smouch
6th August 2011, 07:15 PM
I take it none of you have an iPhone to try. If you want.. zip me up some files and ill get a screen shot of the result if you want. Be aware that I Don't use ArcGIS or any GIS much.

telehac
21st September 2011, 09:00 AM
I've got an Ipad and I've had no luck loading anything in to this app.
Followed the instructions on how to import data but there must be a step missing.
Checked the FAQs no joy there, sent the developer an email no reply.
It's a shame as it would be a great tool if it worked!