PDA

View Full Version : Height Data - Where can I find the latest and greatest?

DragonflyKing
28th August 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm still using the original STRM data with OziExplorer 3D. When I was last here, a long time ago, the Japanese data was just coming out but there were issues with the data and downloading it. I hope that that has all been resolved by now, so where can I download the latest height data? What improvement does it offer over the original STRM?

Thanks,

Mike

The Explorer
31st August 2011, 01:45 PM
Hello

Not sure but I odnt think the "japanese" data has changed since first released

http://www.gdem.aster.ersdac.or.jp/

I am also unsure if it is easier to download..Cant recall having any problems downloading before but I only did a few tiles.

The main issue is that it is not in a format suitbale for OziExplorer. I converted a few tiles to ASCII (using GlobalMapper) - these seem to work fine. File sizes are huge compared to SRTM give the extra data.

Data capture was higher resolution (~30m spot heights) than SRTM (~90m spot heights) so you should get a better result. Havent compared it in any sort of hilly terrain to "real" contours (where SRTM past 20m contours gives almost completely false results).

Best I can advise is try it and see if you find it of any value for you intended use.

Cheers
Greg

DragonflyKing
4th September 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your reply Greg.
I guess I'll hold off, as it sounds like a lot of work for very little gain over what I already have.

Cheers,

Michael