PDA

View Full Version : Create, Save and Load Routes

eusetep1
19th September 2011, 10:47 AM
On page 13 of the nuvi 1300 series Owner's Manual it states that 'On some models, you can use your nuvi to create and save routes before your next trip. You can save up to 10 routes. 1. With a route active, touch Where to? (or Tools)> Routes> New.'
On my nuvi1390T when I touch Where to? or Tools I don't get the 'Routes' button and therefore do not have the ability to save routes. Can I upgrade the software to include this capability?

Nicko
19th September 2011, 11:29 AM
Your model won't let you do it, but the 1400 series does and other 5" units do. Welcome to the world of Garmin.

eusetep1
19th September 2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks Nicho. I am not surprised. You don't find this out until you buy the unit! I tried querying Garmin and they told me to buy the Trip & Waypoint Manager which was a complete waste of money.

eusetep1
21st September 2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks 2happy. I will give it a try. Do I need ExpertGPS to create a GPX file?

Nicko
21st September 2011, 03:02 PM
Give what a try?

eusetep1
21st September 2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry Nicko. I got an email from 2happy as follows:
Here is a way you can easily save tracks and waypoints to a Nuvi (or any Garmin for that matter).

It may lose some functionality (such as ability to calc remaining time etc) but it will certainly give you the basics.

All you need to do is plot your route/track etc in mapsource or whatever you use and make a gpx file. Then there is a little program gpx2img readily available (on the net) which will convert your gpx file to a garmin "img" file.

Then load this img file to the nuvi the same as you would a second map file and you will be able to display the track/route as originally set in mapsource.

Hope this helps.

Regards

2happy

mihermano
21st September 2011, 04:12 PM
This meathod may void warranty if non-Garmin IMG (map) files are loaded to the device during the warranty period. Just a thought?

eusetep1
21st September 2011, 04:50 PM
To be quite honest Nicko my dealings with Garmin Australia over a number of issues leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore if the warranty is compromised and I am unable to use my Garmin GPS I am so disillusioned with them I would replace it with another brand!

eusetep1
21st September 2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry mihaermano, I thought it was a response from Nicko. Please make alloawnaces I am a 71 year old senile!!!!

mihermano
21st September 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi. No problems at all.
I've had mixed dealings with Garmin after-sales myself. Sometimes depends who you get to talk to, I think.
:)