PDA

View Full Version : New Geocaching GPS required

jaybee
6th October 2011, 05:25 AM
Hi All,

After someone smashed 2 windows on my car and found my Dakota 20 in the glove box I'm without a GPS for Geocaching & bush walking.

Looking for thoughts on a replacement, there are some requirements:
Paperless geocaching
Map availability
Touch screen

On the Garmin front it looks like the Oregon or Dakota. The Dakota fit in my pocket nicely, the Oregon is the same except for size, anyone used both and can comment on the screen & overall size?

I have used OSM for mapping which has been great, does the TwoNav or others have similar maps available?

Cheers
Jason

Nicko
6th October 2011, 10:21 AM
I have downloaded OSM in vector format and about to open and save in CompeGPS Land (as soon as I get the CAD module ont to my PC which should be tonight) and then save as a V.Map that works in TwoNav. Someone may already have done this but I can't tell you "officially" until I have done it. OSM may be able to go onto a Magellan but that I think is by using Magellans own software called mobile mapper.

Smouch
7th October 2011, 12:01 AM
Anyone used both and can comment on the screen & overall size?
Cheers
Jason

The screen clarity/resolution is much better on the Oregon... and if you hold both in your hands and compare the 2 side by side.... I find the Oregon only slightly larger and went the 550 with built in camera and 3D compass. These have been very handy Geocaching. Honestly though the GPS in my iPhone 4 is quite good and its used more often than not these days for caching.... unless its an all day outing with climbing about in the jungle.
Regards

Nicko
7th October 2011, 12:21 AM
I have succesfully converted an OSM map from a .shp file into a TwoNav MVPF map. However, the data does not have street names, so I will see if that can be added to the .shp file. As for screen clarity, the TwoNav and Oregon are on par and the Dakota only fractionally less viewable. But the Dakota falls down badly when using the backlight at dusk/dawn and the Dakota does appear to have a less sensitive antenna, maybe because of it's small size. I haven't had a chance to look inside an Orgon to compare as yet but I suspect it is actually the Dakota's antenna size the culprit.

Yes, many people are using a geek phone for Geocaching but because I hate iTunes and not impressed by the rediculous prices for Apple I wouldn't buy one, plus I don't like teh idea of using a none rugged/waterproof device in paddocks where a low flying cow might knock the device out of your hands and onto rocks and into a pool of water

jaybee
7th October 2011, 09:17 AM
I had a look at the Oregon 450 yesterday. Nice screen, the extra real estate is good and better resolution is noticeable.
The number of times the Dakota has a spill with no damage I doubt my Android phone would last too long. The kids are often the ones holding the GPS.

My familiarity with Garmin is leading me that way, the Dakota was good to me. I'm amazed by the price variance in the market place for the 450; $415 to $550.

Smouch
7th October 2011, 10:10 AM
I have been very happy with the Oregon and now that Garmin have their own geocaching thing http://www.opencaching.com/ there have been recent improvements in Multicache handling and other geocaching specific firmware updates

The Explorer
7th October 2011, 11:07 AM
Has the Dakota been discontinued? I notice some online shops no longer list it?? Replaced my new extrex series?

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
7th October 2011, 11:51 AM
It is still listed in the current Garmin price list, and all the big names still have them listed in their on-line stores. I do not see anyone stating discontinued. Secondly why would you buy an eTrex? Because you don't like touch screen, that's all.

The Explorer
7th October 2011, 11:58 AM
It is still listed in the current Garmin price list, and all the big names still have them listed in their on-line stores. I do not see anyone stating discontinued. Secondly why would you buy an eTrex? Because you don't like touch screen, that's all.

Sorry my research was limited ...obvioulsy given a b*m steer (by myself:)

Cheers
Greg

jaybee
7th October 2011, 12:04 PM
Any idea why the $135 difference between 'retail' and some stores? All the prices are from Aust stores, not imports or fleaBay. Some big retailers must be getting amazing discounts from Garmin which I guess puts pressure on spe******t outlets.

Hoyks
14th January 2012, 09:02 PM
I have acquired a Magellan eXplorist 510 and find it brilliant for geocaching. I have done a few with my older GPS (Triton and really old Blazer 12) but found the paper I had to print with the details a bit of a pain.

With a few clicks I can download all the info about the cache from Geocaching.com, including descriptions, hints and previous logs and it is all available via a touch screen GPS. It came loaded with 'World Edition Premium Basemap' which, while not route-able, they do have street names and minor rural roads marked and named.

It's water proof (apparently) and has a micro SD card fitted in behind the batteries. Has a in built 3.2Meg camera with video, the option to record voice notes. The handiest bit is that you can tick found or not found on the menu screen, enter field notes as text into the GPS and it allows you to connect to Geocaching.com via your computer and upload the field notes direct to the cache page. Saves a lot of fluffing around.

I'm very impressed.

calib
2nd February 2012, 03:54 PM
The handiest bit is that you can tick found or not found on the menu screen, enter field notes as text into the GPS and it allows you to connect to Geocaching.com via your computer and upload the field notes direct to the cache page. Saves a lot of fluffing around.

Does anyone know if the Oregan has the ability to upload field notes direct to the cache page?

Chwiliwr
2nd February 2012, 04:20 PM
I don't use it on my 550 but have a look at this link:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243230