PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Laptop to Desktop

Corry
6th December 2006, 09:14 PM
Can anyone tell me how I can connect my laptop to my desktop PC? I currently run my PDA's with the laptop via Active Sync, but I want to be able to Sync the laptop to the desktop. The desktop doesn't have BT so whatever I do it will need to be a cable.
Can I do it via USB?
Anyone shed any light?

Cheers
Corry

arthurking83
7th December 2006, 05:37 AM
Can I do it via USB?
Anyone shed any light?

Cheers
Corry

USB is dodgy for pc to pc connection.

Do you have a router or modem router kind'a internet connection?

chances are that you can connect the pc-laptop to each other via ethernet cable.

if you can, and it's a direct connection to each other, you need a cross over cable, if you have a router then it's a matter of connecting both to the router use the networking wizard to set up the new network, and bingo :D the pc's will see each other.

you'll then need to set up any folders that you want to share between each pc, it's all easy when you know which direction to head in ;)

BUT! if you don't have any of the networking hardware available and don't want to bother you can use a USB connection, I think there may even be a USB networking wizard?

may be better with a firewire connection though!

Dooghan
7th December 2006, 06:08 PM
Go wireless. Setup right, not only will you be syncing the laptop but also surfing the web, reading email, etc from any room (like the bed) in the house.

Corry
7th December 2006, 06:44 PM
I've got the laptop back with the IT guru's at work having the driver for the wireless installed. Dell in their wisdom left it off when they sent the laptop a few months ago.
I've got a 4 port/wireless Modem/Router that I use for Internet, hence getting the wireless sorted so I don't have to use a cable for the laptop.
I played last night with the Networking Wizard, and I think I should be able to work it out.
Doing some work on the car at the moment so it will have to wait until Sunday I think. I'll give it a go then.
By the sounds of it, USB isn't worth the hassle, I want something that does what it is told when it is told, so if it comes to it, I'll look at getting wireless installed to the desktop. It's a couple of years old now so hasn't got bluetooth or wireless.

Cheers
Corry

arthurking83
7th December 2006, 06:51 PM
Aha!!

you have a wireless router, a wireless lappy and a desktop connected to the router via a ethernet cable?? :confused-

you're good to go already! :D

one thing to watch for is to have the PC's on the same "work group", find that setting by rightclicking "My Computer" somewhere in there is a setting to allow changing the workgroup names.

Wireless can be a bit of a PITA to set up perfectly, but it seems you already have the goods to do so! ;)