PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Problem

FIGJAM
19th December 2006, 05:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem that has been driving me crazy for a while. GPS12xl connected to a Toshiba Notebook.
I use this setup in the 4wd for touring with Aussie Explorer.
The problem is intermittent, sometimes when you turn on with the gps connected the mouse cursor on the screen jumps all over the place and seems to go nuts. I have checked all connections etc but still can't figure it out?

it's a serial port connection. At first it happened once or twice and seemed to fix itself, but now it happens whenever it's connected! (which has reminded me not to reply on these things 100%)

I'm at the point where I'm considering updating GPS. Any suggestions on a type that does this function best? And cheapest / reliable?

Unless someone knows the fix! :action-sm

arthurking83
19th December 2006, 05:50 AM
Yeah it's a common problem, serial pointer device and gps driver clashing!

do a search on 'serial device GPS' or something and a couple of posts should come up.

there is a small add in line to the windows startup file 'boot.ini' on the C:\ drive... you can add the line noserialmouse to stop that happening, but I'm not sure how that will affect the touch pad device??

gotta go to work now..

The Explorer
19th December 2006, 06:10 AM
From OziExplorer web page....

OziExplorer - Mouse Cursor Jumping Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Cursor Jumps around the Screen when the GPS is Connected

For more information, we suggest you go to www.google.com and do a search on something like "gps detecting mouse device".

Microsoft has a "Symptoms, Cause and Resolution", check out this Microsoft Document.
"Serial Device May Be Detected as a Serial Mouse in Windows 2000" (XP is also discussed in the document)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283063

A method which should stop it happening is included below. We got this from a newsgroup and have had reports that it does work.
1. Boot the computer with the GPS receiver attached. The cursor will be jumping around and all sorts of unwanted stuff will be happening.
2. Disconnect the GPS. The computer will settle down.
3. Select Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager.
4. Click on the "+" next to Mice and other pointing devices.
5. Click on "Microsoft Serial Ball Point" - This is what Windows 2000/XP thinks that your GPS receiver is.
6. Select "Actions" and then "disable".
7. Click "OK" to close each window
8. Reboot the computer with the GPS attached. All should be well.

The next time you boot the computer, it will tell itself to disable the "Serial Ball Point". If you boot the machine without the GPS attached, it will not even show the disabled device.

Cheers
Greg

FIGJAM
20th December 2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks gents. I'll give it a go when I get a moment away from work! :)