PDA

View Full Version : New Magellan eXplorist firmware updates

Sarg
20th December 2006, 05:10 PM
Hi all eXplorist owners, here is a link to some new firmware updates.
I have added it to mine, but don't know what I'll do with it yet, just more toys.
Apparently there's a link at Next Destinations as well.
Cheers

https://www.magellangps.com/assets/softwareupgrades/Explorist_XL_1_55.zip

Dooghan
20th December 2006, 07:51 PM
Just moved from the General Chat area.

one_iota
21st December 2006, 02:59 PM
The major improvement is the addition of 5 more navigation screens familiar to those who have upgraded from Meridians.

http://www.magellangps.com/support/softwareupdates/xl_155_rn.asp

arthurking83
21st December 2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah! I saw that, but when on the location information screen, can you press the joystick left/right to view two position formats at the same time?

The Meridian can display the position in two different formats(Primary and Secondary, and are user defined in set up)

ie. You can use UTM or Lat/lon ..or whatever combo you like! :)

.. not important, just curious :confused:

Dernel
22nd December 2006, 03:08 PM
I've really wanted the extra screens on the explorist 600 for ages!!

I wish they would upgrade the firmware.................

Derek

one_iota
2nd January 2007, 03:50 PM
Just a few traps/clues:

Installing the firmware will reset all the personalised settings and will delete the POI's: so backup the POI's on your PC before installing.

WAAS will need to be switched off again :rolleyes: . The secret menu for this is activated with the power on menu screen selected and the toggle switched "left right left right left" then toggle the two digit code to "03" and toggle the settings then displayed to "off".

The Explorer
13th March 2007, 03:49 PM
What you've all been waiting for -

New firware upgrades for the 500 and 600 now available for those interested

http://www.magellangps.com/support/softwareupdates/500_600_4257.asp

Main treat is the re-introduction of the series of nav screens discussed before that were present on the Meridian series but not availble when the eXplorist series was released. Dont use them much myself but at least now you have a choice.

Cheers
Greg

dyong888
23rd September 2007, 01:00 PM
Hi. I've updated the firmware on the 600 to the ver 5.2.57. Welcome the addition of the new screens. BUT.... it seems that WAAS is now not on and it takes forever again for the unit to locate itself from power off state.

Does anyone know how to turn WAAS back on?

Thanks!
Dan

dyong888
23rd September 2007, 01:15 PM
Hi. I've updated the firmware on the 600 to the ver 5.2.57. Welcome the addition of the new screens. BUT.... it seems that WAAS is now not on and it takes forever again for the unit to locate itself from power off state.

Does anyone know how to turn WAAS back on?

Thanks!
Dan

I've turned WAAS on via custom function 03 and still WAAS is not showing and the unit takes forever to lock on again. sigh.... anyone know how to resolve this?

How about reverting to the previous ver 2.03 firmware? It made locking on so quick and WAAS worked.

Anyone out there knows?

Dan

The Explorer
23rd September 2007, 05:21 PM
Hello - WAAS is not available in Australia (so having it on makes no difference) and even if WASS was available (and turned off) it wouldn't be the cause of your problem. It is simply and extra satellite that can be picked up, and then not used for position calculation (so theoretically it would slow your acquisition time down as time is wasted for no purpose).

The issue you are having is difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes its just a case of a bad satellite moment/s coupled with lack of patience. Does your GPS work OK when it gets a fix? What happens when you get a fix then turn off the gps and turn it back on again i.e. does it still take ages? What is sky visibility like at your location? Can you see horizon in all directions or is it blocked? I have use the same firmware upgrade without issue (and WAAS off and on) - no problems - so the actual firmware or WAAS is not the cause of your frustration.

Cheers
Greg

michaeld
23rd September 2007, 05:25 PM
this worked on my 600 but now I'm trying to upgrade a 500le and everything seems O'K but it wont turn off and it is still 2.17 and not updated