PDA

View Full Version : Mapping software for Magellan Exp XL

forasquiz
20th February 2012, 08:32 PM
Hi all, wandering if I might be able to get some advice on upgrading my mapping software. I bought my XL new in 2008 and it came with Discover Aus v2.27 (incl outback tourer). Currently traveling round Oz and have found it not too comprehensive !
Is there an upgrade, how do I go about it ? Your help appreciated :hatoff

The Explorer
20th February 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi

Try Magellan

http://www.magellangps.com.au/

There may or may not be a newer version of the product.

DiscoverAus was pretty good even back at V1 (IMHO) so maybe you should also explain what you mean by "not too comprehensive" as different people have different requirements and expectations (and budgets).

You may need to give the Magellan the flick and get something that has a map product that suits...but impossible to tell at this point.

Cheers
Greg

forasquiz
21st February 2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks Greg,

Will try Magellan and se if there is an update available. I have found the software to be "not too comprehensive" in quite a few locations in the centre of Oz, mainly with tracks not being shown up, and obvious POI's not being there.

Cheers
Chris

Michael
21st February 2012, 07:08 AM
Don't know much about Magellan as I use Garmin & TwoNav.
I have seen a friend's Magellan in use in Vic high country & we all thought it was very detailed.
I suspect that if your current map does not show the tracks in the centre of Aust, then it is unlikely any digital map will have them.
How does it compare to any paper maps you use?

The Explorer
21st February 2012, 07:27 AM
Yes ...as Michael states you may be looking for something that doesnt exists. There is no single mapping product that has everything....some may be overall better but they wont be complete so someday, somewhere, someone will find something lacking. Up to date data capture and then map creation in cities is hard enough let alone second, third, fourth grade roads out in the middle of nowhere. My suggestion is stick with the Magellan and the maps you have, if it gives up the ghost one day have a look at the other options....but good luck establishing what is "best"...IMHO none are, you need to use a range of map sources and products to cover all possibilities.

Cheers
Greg

CADManager
5th March 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Forasquiz,

Any data is only as good as its source. I think the mapping products rely on outside sources for data, particularly POIs.

I had a good look at DAST when I bought my eXplorist XL last year, but sadly I was sent the Triton format, and with the changeover from Next Destination, it became impossible to obtain the correct product at the time. My purchase was refunded, and now I'm authoring my own maps from OSM data - but only for the standard road network (ie. not outback tracks). Again, the data is only as good as it's source.

Anyway, the point I set out to make was this - even with that (latest) product, I found POIs to be absent (eg. a major service station (Shell) immediately adjacent a freeway exit). And I've recently discovered that even data from those owners can be deficient. The POIs from Shell differ from those of Coles Express in some instances.
:thumbsdwn

I'm sure, having had the unit for so long, that this is not the issue. But, JIC, I found that even sections of motorway disappeared on my handset (they appear on the PC in VantagePoint, so the data is there) when the SD card was the wrong format (ie. Triton). Perhaps worth a comparison against the PC viewers to see whether this is the case?

Cheers,
Paul.

PS - nice to see someone else using an eXplorist XL (I'm not so sure there are many of us out there). If you're interested at all, there are some screen captures of my maps here: http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20691&p=78829.