PDA

View Full Version : Manifold GIS

Cattle-ist
23rd February 2012, 05:55 PM
Has anyone worked with this program yet ? http://www.manifold.net/

I briefly saw it in action today and was impressed ..... but I`m a techno-geek who cant get stuff to work right .

Looks like GIS stuff , with a huge range of compatable formats , haven`t sussed out what GPSs are compatable yet .

Thoughts ?

The Explorer
23rd February 2012, 07:05 PM
snip
Looks like GIS stuff

Yep..Text on the website you posted suggests something to do with GIS eg..."Manifold System - GIS and Mapping", "The World's Best GIS at an Unbeatable Price", "Manifold GIS", "most modern Geographic Information System (GIS) package "

Never tried it myself so cant offer any other advice.

Cheers
Greg

CADManager
23rd February 2012, 07:19 PM
Hi Cattle-ist,

At a quick glance, impressive (as you say). Especially for the price - in a company I used to work for, ArcGIS (ESRI) was used and I know it cost an absolute fortune!

What is it that you're looking to get out of a GIS? Is it just to drive the GPSr, because if so, there are a couple of freebies about which I've certainly found useful in recent weeks as I've been creating maps for my Magellan eXplorist XL (refer here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20691)).

But freebies aside, the 64-bit Personal Edition for $295 (geocoding +$30) captures one's attention.

Cheers,
Paul.

PS - where did you see the product demonstrated?

The Explorer
23rd February 2012, 08:36 PM
Snip

haven`t sussed out what GPSs are compatable yet .

Thoughts ?

Hi again

May or may not be "compatable" with GPS units (I assume you mean some direct download/upload function (including NMEA) or ability to use gpx files). Many of the programs more directed at GPS users have the ability to export and import in "GIS" formats (eg ESRI shape files) including CompeGPS Land (for TwoNav users) and OziExplorer (for just about all gps users) so no big deal if Manifold doesnt have any direct compatability. If the program has some cabability you like there will be a relativley simple work around to get data from the gps to the program and visa versa (keeping in mind limitations of average GPS units and some non GIS programs with respect to data volume, attributes and display options).

Cheers
Greg

Cattle-ist
23rd February 2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Cattle-ist,

At a quick glance, impressive (as you say). Especially for the price - in a company I used to work for, ArcGIS (ESRI) was used and I know it cost an absolute fortune!

What is it that you're looking to get out of a GIS? Is it just to drive the GPSr, because if so, there are a couple of freebies about which I've certainly found useful in recent weeks as I've been creating maps for my Magellan eXplorist XL (refer here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20691)).

But freebies aside, the 64-bit Personal Edition for $295 (geocoding +$30) captures one's attention.

Cheers,
Paul.

PS - where did you see the product demonstrated?

I saw it demonstrated at our local Animal health office (NSW Govt dept) , showing flight paths of helicopters over rough terrain for aerial baiting of wild dogs , showing cadastral , topo and aerial/satellite pis of the given region .

As a member of our Rural Fire Service , I can see where this information could be utilized in a field situation where fires become big and there is a need for planning on a large scale .

Nicko
23rd February 2012, 09:33 PM
This section really is not for multiple replies, it's just a registry for linking, otherwise it just become like any other part of the forum that people have to troll through. If need be I will create a forum on this product if interest is strong. General GPS is the best option for such Q and A

Thanks

The Explorer
23rd February 2012, 09:50 PM
snip
If need be I will create a forum on this product if interest is strong.
Thanks

Good idea but how are you going to determine interest? A poll? Doubt it will go much further but on the off chance - just do it. If you dont I will :)

Cheers
Greg