PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Apps and Maps

sydneystroller
23rd March 2012, 01:29 PM
The iPhone software thread seems to be old. This starts a new one, but let me know if I should revert to it.
I'm trialling iPhone GPS applications from 2 perspectives: apps for walking trails and apps that integrate with GIS programmes.
Walking / Trail Apps: the two that seem best are MotionX (v good tracking and recording and importing / exporting of waypoints and gpx tracks. No capacity to import external maps) and Mud maps (good maps, including topo, but seemingly poor gps lock / tracking). PDFMaps is a nice little add on using georeferenced PDFs showing location, waypoints, but no tracks.
GIS Apps: iGIS and ArcGIS both do a good job.
I'm still to conclude and would be very interested in forum member's experiences.

mihermano
23rd March 2012, 03:24 PM
Hi and welcome.
FYI. Posting in the "What you need to know before posting" section is not more appropriate.
All new posts to the forum (even to old threads) are seen on the the forum's Home page regardless.
Cheers. :)

Thread moved to Hardware>Smart Phones section.

Nicko
23rd March 2012, 04:23 PM
You still got it wrong ;)

Hardware is hardware, this is a thread about apps installed on hardware and MotionX has already been mentioned, don't need to create a new thread just adds extra confusion. In fact it is more suited to the Review section (Forum).

Maybe try TwoNav as well.... if you do add more details of the tests I will move you to Review, however, Mudmaps tend to have exclusive (proprietary) maps, so more detail needs to be added otherwise this thread is of no use to anyone being so vague

mihermano
23rd March 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi. No not wrong, but apparently the wrong shade of grey. :) :)

sydneystroller
24th March 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks to you both for your guidance (to this newcomer) on use of the forum. I will unbundle the questions and observations into the relevanthardware / software threads.