PDA

View Full Version : Magellan 510

felix
9th May 2012, 02:58 PM
Nicko

In your initial review here http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17846 you mentioned there was no downloadable manual for this unit, I thought that too and found one in the most illogical place on their site.
It seems though that Magellan has refreshed their site and it is now easy to find here http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=24&pcid=18&nav=0,18

I was given one as a gift recently and was a bit shocked when I saw the RRP in your review, I realize that it's a couple of years old now but it should be noted that when I asked the giver of the gift they told me that they paid less then half of that price at a regular bricks and mortar store.

Might have a bit more to say about battery life after some testing ( at this stage it's not looking too flash)

felix
9th May 2012, 04:37 PM
OK have had the unit on for 9.5 hours with a new fully charged set of 2100 mAh batteries and it has just turned itself off telling me that the batteries need replacing. It has been sitting on the desk all that time and so no playing around with it, I'd say this was a bit disappointing.

The odd thing is though after taking the batteries out and putting them on a cheap tester both indicated 'good', so I then tested them with a multimeter and both read 1.21v.
As Nimh AA batteries are rated at 1.2v they should be working ok, not sure where the issue lies here and yes the power system of the 510 was set to 'Rechargeables'.
Any comments?

The Explorer
9th May 2012, 07:02 PM
Hi

You dont say if the screen was on during the 9.5 hrs - screen chews the most juice. Maybe try with normal alkalines or lithiums and see how you go. How old are the rechargables?

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
9th May 2012, 09:51 PM
I said there wasn't one because back then there wasn't ;)

And no doubt they probably bought it from someone who bought it from USA :)

felix
10th May 2012, 08:40 AM
Screen was dimmed for the 90% of the time and the rechargeables were brand new. Doing another test with some 2500 Nimh units atm.
It was bought from a major Australian outdoor retailer (was bought on one of their super dooper sale days).

The Explorer
10th May 2012, 11:34 AM
..mmm well 9.5 hours doesnt seem too bad with 2100mah and 90% screen....but every GPS is different. I assume you are comparing your figures with quoted specifciations or those of another GPS. Why is the result not up to scratch?

Cheers
Greg