PDA

View Full Version : mounting laptop

bigfella13
18th February 2007, 08:13 AM
any ideas on mounting a laptop in a 4by i was thinking of making a slide out tray under the drivers seat and strapping the lapy to it and then have a touchscreen in the dash.

Patrolman Pat
18th February 2007, 12:17 PM
Having got stuck in a flooded creek and losing some hand held UHFs I would be storing a laptop somewhere higher and more readily retrievable. On my last trip I experimented with keeping mine in the passenger seat back pocket and it worked well, I was concerned it would overheat but it didn't.

vincentvega
18th February 2007, 06:01 PM
I am in the middle of 2 laptop based installs at the moment.

I am using a piece of MDF that fits between the seat mounts under the seat, and some stands to hold the laptop about 1" off it to let it breathe.

One is going in a road car, and I dont take my offroader in deep water so im not worried about it getting wet.

Patrolman Pat
18th February 2007, 07:56 PM
One is going in a road car, and I dont take my offroader in deep water so im not worried about it getting wet.

My drowning wasn't planned, it happened at the end of a Simpson desert trip and the water couldn't be avoided ( the hole I fell in probably could have with better judgement),

A mate of mine has a car puter mounted under the passenger seat and moves it if he has to do a water crossing which is probably not a bad option.

the evil twin
19th February 2007, 07:24 AM
i was thinking of making a slide out tray under the drivers seat

I would put it under the pax seat rather than the drivers...that way you can access it a bit easier.

Being a rather portly gent I would have to alight from the conveyance to manipulate the device...IE...I'd have to get my fat RRRR's outa there to reach the power/DVD tray/connections etc

I was trialed putting mine there in my Patrol... other than the seat adjustment mechanism gets in the way a bit unless it is right on the floor it was OK. I am now considering under the rear pax seat which seems better as it is off the floor, power etc accessible if I am by myself and easily removed etc if I fold the seat forward

As P P said put it somewhere where you can get to it relatively easily as its amazing how often you want to fiddle with the damn thing.

Corry
20th February 2007, 07:41 PM
I mounted mine on a custom stand that puts it just to the passenger side of the gearshift. I haven't found anything wrong with it, the stand can rotate, and be adjusted up and down. This is good for when there is someone in the seat, you can make sure it is out of their way.
I've attached a photo, not sure if it will work or not.

Cheers
Corry

Hittin the road
5th March 2007, 08:13 PM
As I have now purchased computer and pda with gps and necessary software, maps etc now have to set up mounts in the vehicle. I like the look of your setup and would like to try and duplicate it. You mention that it as adjustable. May I ask how you achieved that. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Corry
9th March 2007, 10:53 AM
As I have now purchased computer and pda with gps and necessary software, maps etc now have to set up mounts in the vehicle. I like the look of your setup and would like to try and duplicate it. You mention that it as adjustable. May I ask how you achieved that. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Sorry mate, late reply. Buying another house and been caught up in the running around.
The stand for the lappy is one piece of pipe into another, this way I can undo the locking screw on the side and rotate, or move up and down. The larger piece of pipe is thicker walled so I could tap a thread into it for the locking screw.
Not sure if I have any photos of it, but can take some and put up if you wish. I have been meaning to do a write up on it and put it up, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Cheers
Corry

Donald
11th March 2007, 09:49 AM
Are there any issues in terms of operating a laptop on their sides/ends. I dont need to view the screen generally so having the ability to set and forget would be good. There is not enough room under the seat.

Donald

len
13th May 2010, 10:25 PM
I am currently working on the idea of a notebook noted in an overhead console and a remote touchscreen mounted to the left of the instrument cluster

cheers

Len

sharkcaver
15th May 2010, 06:44 PM
As a temporary measure, I removed my console lid, screwed a board to the top and attach the lappy with velcro glued to both board and lappy. Only instal when going away as I lose all functionality of the center console. Future plan is to have a permanently mounted monitor with both rca and vga inputs for both netbook and reverse camera use.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/sharkcaver/My%20Finished%20Mods/lappymount.jpg

Shane.

ashar antares
16th May 2010, 07:14 AM
i have seen how some people mount their computors in the 4x4, i own a 1984 mitsubishi 4x4 and i have a laptop in the center between the front seats, i had a huge problem with it at that angle so i bought s cheap 2nd hand monitor and mounted it on the dash, i alos moved most of my radio gear to the top of my instrument panel, that way i coul dsee the road and have easy access to everything in front, i use a military mapping system and a modified american GPS reciever, look funny at first but at least its safe and i dont have to keep looking sideways at maps, i also have my mobile phone gps mounted on the side of the lcd screen so i have an operational cbd mapping system as well as country miltary gps, funny i still get lost, porbably because the mobile phone gps is nothing compared to the laptop, but hey all together, it works.