PDA

View Full Version : eXplorist XL Magellan GPS

HERBERT SEEBERGER
22nd July 2013, 02:11 PM
Purchased 2006, I would like to know how to expand POIs capacity on this GPS.
At the moment useage is 290/500, previously I exceeded the limit and lost most of the POIs.
What can I do to overcome this.
Herbert

CADManager
5th August 2013, 11:22 AM
I would like to know how to expand POIs capacity on this GPS.

Hey Herbert,

Great to hear from another XL owner - it seems there are so very few of us left these days!

I seem to recall there being something about editing a text file (of some sort) in internal memory, however I don't know the specifics and have not done this with my own GPSr. My approach is to put my POIs in various files, any of which can be activated when required. For instance, I've a series of .upt files for travelling through the Victorian Alps:

Vic. Alps (accom).upt
Vic. Alps (food & drink).upt
Vic. Alps (scenic).upt
I've similar files for various other regions of interest (e.g. Snowy Mountains, Gippsland, Bass, etc.). I find this to be a better approach than lumping them all in one file, and more manageable if they require updating, since I can look at just one specific region and category at a time.

BTW, there's a bug (of sorts) in the eXplorists, whereby additional POIs included (but not referenced) in a route file can be seen when using the View-on-Map function (but not when activated). I've found it useful to include fuel stops in this fashion, which makes reviewing the next day's trip and planning on the GPSr simpler for being able to see where the fuel is. BUT, I have a separate POI file for petrol which can be activated when needed. I'll usually travel with a 'scenic' POI file active, but change to food / accommodation / fuel when needed.

Hope this advice is of some help to you.

Cheers,
Paul.

yogie
9th February 2014, 10:59 AM
Howdy guys, I have gone from my meridian to the new and improved XL and I love it, do miss the pre loading of WP from the discoveraus1 program but I'll get over it hopefully.
Anyhoo can I preload WP's to the XL by means of imputing coordinate's if that makes sense ?

CADManager
9th February 2014, 12:35 PM
Anyhoo can I preload WP's to the XL by means of imputing coordinate's if that makes sense ?

Hey Mark (Yogie),

You certainly can. The eXplorist XL uses a .upt file for waypoints. HOWEVER, if you're typing them in yourself, Magellan uses a special format:

Magellan eXplorist Latitude/Longitude designation:
(Extract from Magellan eXplorist Communication Specification - Revision 0.7, August 30 2005)

Two digits represent the degrees of Latitude, with a leading zero if necessary, followed by two digits representing the minutes of Latitude, with a leading zero if necessary, followed by fractional minutes. For example, a latitude of 38 15' 30" would be encoded as 3815.5. The next field consists of either the letter "N" or "S" to indicate North or South Latitude.

Longitude is formatted like the Latitude, but with 3 digits to represent the degrees of Longitude. For example, a Longitude of 118 5' 15" would be encoded as 11805.25. This field is followed by an "E" or "W" to indicate East or West Longitude.

I'd recommend you create the .upt file using VantagePoint (or similar) - let the computer take care of the formatting for you. Anyhow, feel free to give me a shout if you'd like to discuss this further.

Cheers,
Paul.

PS - I also have an Excel spreadsheet with formulae for converting to and from this format, which I'm happy to share.