PDA

View Full Version : Explorist 510 track issue?

Craigus
12th April 2014, 07:46 PM
Hi all,

I've not long picked up an explorist 510 and took it out for a ride today. This may be user error (probably is) but can anyone tell me how I export/save the whole track file for the day? When I save the track it is only saving the 'active track' which is only a short section heading back to the cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Craig. :crazy

Craigus
12th April 2014, 08:42 PM
I should have added.. I can see the entire days track if I go into: Active Track Area

Craigus
13th April 2014, 09:19 AM
The plot thickens... It's not a Magellan issue after all. I can open the entire track in 'expertGPS' without a problem so I guess this thread is over.

Nicko
13th April 2014, 06:10 PM
hI cRAIG
wHAT WAS THE PROGRAM YOU WERE USING INITIALLY? Grrrrr Caps Lock!

Craigus
13th April 2014, 06:58 PM
Oh.. Ozi, always Ozi :)

CADManager
22nd April 2014, 02:30 PM
Oh.. Ozi, always Ozi :)

Hi Craig,

FYI - on my eXplorist XL, I always transfer the files (e.g. track logs) to the PC using Windows Explorer, and then drag-&-drop into VantagePoint. Perhaps this methodology might work for your 510?

Cheers,
Paul.

PS - have sent you the Mudgee map for testing.

Craigus
22nd April 2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Paul,

I've been doing the same but trying to use my track files in Ozi. For some reason it always on every track I have tried only imports the first quater or so of the track file. I can open in Google Earth or Mapsend/VP no problems.

My reasoning for wanting to view in Ozi is simply for higher map detail using Festy's 25k topo's :( I've spoken to Nicko, hope to see the new maps soon. PS. How do they compare detail wise to the 1:25k's?

Update: I tried some old tracks converted to GPX from my old Meridian from 100 years ago and it's doing the same thing. Don't tell me Ozi is allergic to GPX files!?!

Cheers
C.

Craigus
22nd April 2014, 02:47 PM
PSS.. Where is everyone Nicko??

CADManager
22nd April 2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Paul,

I've been doing the same but trying to use my track files in Ozi. For some reason it always on every track I have tried only imports the first quater or so of the track file. I can open in Google Earth or Mapsend/VP no problems.

Hey Craig,

I don't know Ozi, but see whether you can determine how many track points it's reading - perhaps it has a limit on the number? Also, try converting the (full) .gpx track to Magellan and then importing.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Paul.

Treadly
27th April 2014, 09:09 AM
PSS.. Where is everyone Nicko??

This site has turned into a place where people come to ask how to download maps into cheap, no brand, Chinese GPSs.
Back when I joined, people were creating and editing maps, and even creating their own software. Now people only use OZIexplorer, with map data that is rarely, if ever, updated.
Try to talk about anything except OZIexplorer and you get shouted down. All the interesting people have moved to other sites.

Craigus
27th April 2014, 09:32 AM
This site has turned into a place where people come to ask how to download maps into cheap, no brand, Chinese GPSs.
Back when I joined, people were creating and editing maps, and even creating their own software. Now people only use OZIexplorer, with map data that is rarely, if ever, updated.
Try to talk about anything except OZIexplorer and you get shouted down. All the interesting people have moved to other sites.

Dude.. that's a sad story :(

Nicko
27th April 2014, 02:00 PM
We are totally off topic here on why no one is here. I will digress as well but don't want this to become the main topic. Way back in 2005 when this site was setup, Tablets were practically unheard of, never used in 4x4 or by grey nomads. Back then very few people (relatively) didn't buy cheap chinese navigators with cracked or trial copies of street maps. This has all changed including the type of products people buy such as using smartphones for navigation purposes, which back in 2005 was practically unheard of.

The most notable shift from this site in regards to being busy came about when I tried to introduce a subscription platform and many baulked at it including a number of moderators and regular contributors. It lasted 3 months and I reverted back to free. I talked about it in the Moderators areas and explained the reasons why. However, some didn't like the change; I even made it clear I didn't want extensive advertising which would have to be considered if I couldn't get people to pay even just $5.

I honestly don't recall posts that shouted down people for using anything other than Oziexplorer. So, I am not sure what or who did. I don't encourage Oziexplorer for two reasons, 1, I know practically nothing about the product and 2, I push TwoNav.

I would in fact disagree about map makers disappearing as we have seen three people supply great maps since Shonkymaps started, that being Cadman, Festy and OliverK. With the much wider awareness of OSM, people have provided a lot of data to it, although sporadic and localised. It is hard to get anyone to donate outback tracks to OSM including data from government departments.

I would be only too pleased to provide two services, create maps and proper reviews on hardware and software. But I can't because 1, I don't have the finances to do so and 2, because I haven't the GIS knowledge to create them. The 2 year online GIS diploma course via Riverena TAFE is around $16K and I just don't that kind of money. My aim is to provide all maps free or at cost but when people don't support me, my great products or my ideas then I can't help. I also want to produce a GPS magazine (paper, site and epaper) which I believe in turn would generate advertising revenue as soon as I get the first one done, but again I don't have $20K.

Some people suggested I should go to 4X4 dealers or get promotions on TV or mags or web sites. The problem is when dealers decide to stick with another brand, no matter how good my products are, makes it near nigh impossible to get the name out there. Example, ARB are in bed with Hema and ORE are in bed with VMS4x4 whilst the independants are struggling to consider putting money into anything except their core products. Ironman 4x4 are hesitant too.

I contacted marketing at Pat Callinan 4x4 and was informed they are in bed with Hema and will not even consider installing and trialling the DualNav7 in their vehicle. I emailed Action 4x4 to see if they are going to do another GPS Comparo but no answer.

If you notice I have added several sub forums on the new GPS technologies available, new vertical markets such as Smart watches, Smartphones and Tablets, iPhone/iPad, RCs and cameras, because to be a "GPS forum" it is not going to able to meet todays needs by GPS users if we only talk about Garmin and Magellan. There are a lot of old dogs here, some have left for various reasons, a choice they made I didn't force.

Craigus
27th April 2014, 02:42 PM
I in no way meant to start anything with that question Nicko, just an observation being I haven't visited the site in a long LONG time.

Cheers
C

Nicko
27th April 2014, 08:26 PM
I have no problem with any of the OT, :)