PDA

View Full Version : beer brewing

crozdog
14th March 2007, 02:42 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here & wondered if anyone else here was also into making beer at home?

I've been brewing for many years now but made the move to all grain brewing about a year ago. MMM gotta love those hops & the taste of fresh preservative free beer :food-smil.

So let me know if you brew or have any queries on making great beer (I'm sure you don't need any pointers on how to consume it ;-).

Beers,

Crozdog

Nicko
14th March 2007, 03:35 PM
and so say al of us

often_lost
14th March 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Crozdog

My brother-in-law and I have been brewing for about a year now, and our first AG was scheduled for last Monday (public holiday here in Vic). We never got started, we spent the day fixing leaks in the mash tun and chiller, and wondering how to stop the burner from blowing out in the wind.

Our burner is a Ray's Outdoors NASA job with the 2kg/hr regulator. We were very anxious when we first fired it up!

We had to assemble it ourselves and it doesn't go very well. It seems to me that we need to tune it by adjusting how far the aperture sits in the base part. We will get an 8kg/hr regulator on Saturday morning and have another crack.

What kind of burner do you use? Is there any trick to it?

Cheers often_lost (but not often_lost_for_beer)

crozdog
15th March 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Crozdog

My brother-in-law and I have been brewing for about a year now, and our first AG was scheduled for last Monday (public holiday here in Vic). We never got started, we spent the day fixing leaks in the mash tun and chiller, and wondering how to stop the burner from blowing out in the wind.

Our burner is a Ray's Outdoors NASA job with the 2kg/hr regulator. We were very anxious when we first fired it up!

We had to assemble it ourselves and it doesn't go very well. It seems to me that we need to tune it by adjusting how far the aperture sits in the base part. We will get an 8kg/hr regulator on Saturday morning and have another crack.

What kind of burner do you use? Is there any trick to it?

Cheers often_lost (but not often_lost_for_beer)

Hi often lost,

glad to hear there is another brewer here!! :wave FWIW, I don't have or use a chiller, instead I use the "no chill" method. After the boil, I whirlpool, then wait for 15 - 20 minutes then drain the kettle into a sanitised "cube" (ie a HDPE plastic drum - like a jerry can) then squeeze the excess air out & seal it up tight. Once it's cooled after a day or so, I empty into a fermenter add yeast. you don't have to use the cubes straight away, I've left em for 6 months & they have still turned out really well.

Register on aussiehomebrewer.com (AHB) if you haven't already, & you'll find a wealth of excellent info & feedback including on "no chill" & the NASA burner.

There is a lot of discussion on AHB re NASAs - I think the bigger reg may do the trick. Don't forget that you will also need to adjust the air mix "ring" to get a good clean flame.

A couple of my mates have NASA's - they certainly put out the heat - as well as make a noise. I use a 90Mj 2 ring high pressure burner from Gameco. It isn't as loud as the NASA, but still manages to do a good job on 120 litres. My mates & I just adjust the HP reg to adjust the flame instead of having to stick your hand anywhere near the hot ring.

Get some sheet metal to put around the burner stand to act as a windbreak.

What do you use for a TUN? i use an old esky with a stainless braid manifold in the bottom. simple & functional. I get up to 90% efficiency depending on the size of the batch.

if you haven't already, grab a copy of brewsta. it is written in Oz & is free, unlike beersmith or promash. But it doesn't have all the calculators which can be handy at times. It is however a great little tool for planning your AG brew.

Beers

Crozdog

often_lost
15th March 2007, 09:55 AM
Cheers Crozdog

Any other brewers here?

We're on AHB. One of our primary sources of information and a great forum.

We are going with a chiller because we want to start fermentation at the end of the brew day. I'd like to be able to store wort for a rainy day as you suggest, we have plenty of cubes as we have been using ESB and Grain&Grape fresh worts for a while now.

How is the whirlpooling done? This helps drop out the sediment in the wort doesn't it?

Yeah, I hope that the bigger reg will fix the burner problem. The gas velocity is high enough with the 2kg regulator to blow out the flame at full blast, so maybe there is another gremlin in there somewhere. The air control didn't maketoo much difference between wide open and closed when we ran it up on Monday. There are a couple of things that we can adjust, we will see how we go. We'll organise a windbreak too.

We have a KeepCold 36 litre cylindrical esky as a mash tun that we fitted with an SS false bottom. We have been sharing the cost of the equipment, and building it up over about 4 months now. So the financial impact hasn't been too great. The mash tun should be good. Although I have seen a 57 litre KeepCold in a camping shop...

I am expecting about 60% efficiency for our first AG. I can only dream of 90%! We will be doing about 7.5kg of grain but I think we could fit up to 15kg in the future.

often_lost

crozdog
15th March 2007, 01:21 PM
Whirlpooling is easy. Once the boil ends, I let things cool down for a bit (a lot of thermal activity keeps going after the heat is turned off) then simply give the kettle a good circular stir. I go around the outside of the kettle maybe 20 times to get the whole volume going round & round. Leave it. The trub will form a cone in the middle of the kettle. magic ;-) i just use the plastic spoon that came with the coopers kit but watch I don't splash or aerate too much.

If you target 60% for your 1st, you probably won't be too far out, I think mine was 62%. I have found that more grain actually increases the eff!! Must be something to do with a deeper grain bed.

Get into it, it will be the best beer you've ever tasted! guaranteed. Once you start, all those questions you've probably got will explain themselves - but beware a whole new bumch will appear !! What recipe are you going to do? Are you doing a double batch with 7.5 kg of grain? What's your handle on AHB? Mine is the same.

Crozdog

pcman
15th March 2007, 07:05 PM
well nota home brewer exactly i prefer my spirits

run a 50l homebuild reflux still and 5x 25l fermenters

can produce about 5l of 190 proof per run

i just make a nutral spirit then flavor it with comercial flavors or woodchips of various flavors to make scotch, bourbon, schnaps ect ect

my fav has to be jd bourbon chips soaked in 50%spirit for 3-4 weeks then add a few ml of caramel YUM

best of all no hangovers cause we make sure we dont collect any of the bad crap

often_lost
16th March 2007, 08:14 AM
Cheers Crozdog

I'm BlueJ on AHB. I checked out some of your pics from the lsb brewday. Suffice to say that we have got a fair way to go before we can fill 30 cubes in one day! We'd need a larger garage for a start.

I had a late one bottling a weizen and a stout last night. We have cleared the decks in preparation for Saturday's AG and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey pcman

I hope your spirits are as good as some slivovic I was lucky enough to try. I got invited to dinner with some people from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. They had apple slivovic, pear slivovic, cherry slivovic (quite sweet), and slivovic without any fruit. I am sure there was a lot of skill involved in making those.

Cheers

often_lost

crozdog
19th March 2007, 09:53 AM
Often lost,
How did you go on Saturday? What did you make? What was your efficiency like? did you have any issues?

Beers

Crozdog

often_lost
19th March 2007, 11:26 AM
Cheers Crozdog

Thanks for asking. Well, we made wort. Efficiency was terrible.

Issues. Yep, we had issues. I'll PM you if that is OK or start a thread on AHB rather than clog up this forum with a discussion about our poor brewing technique.

It was all good fun though! So we are happy. The end result will be an 8% APA with >50 IBUs - not quite to BJCP style guidelines, and not quite everyone's cup of tea, but hey we made it!

I'll post some pics tonight just for the interest of anyone here who would like to know how (not) to make beer from grain.

often_lost

pcman
12th April 2007, 05:40 PM
figured ill make this offer here first

ive got around 100-500 beer bottles plastic coopers bottles and various glass bottles a few dozen 750ml vb bottles that im told are very rare

ive even got a capper that will go with them and some new caps

FREE TO GOOD HOME aslong as you bring me some samples of your work :)

also have some full bottles or various beers that are 1-2 years old that may be thrown in (not a beer drinker anymore) gotta offer them too a mate first

there located in sunshine in melbourne

need to be gone by end of this weekend or there all going in the recycling bin

often_lost
12th April 2007, 06:03 PM
Hi pcman

Not a beer drinker anymore? Sounds drastic.

We have tons of Coopers plastic bottles too. We are using CUB twist top longnecks now. So we will happily take some twist top CUB longnecks off your hands. PM me if you like.

When we get organised we will give away the Coopers bottles to a newbie brewer to help them along. It seems like the right thing to do, doesn't it.

Cheers often_lost