PDA

View Full Version : Turning WAAS off on eXplorist 500

wiggy
7th May 2007, 12:26 PM
:bigwave-s

I've been having some accuracy issues with my 500 in that some of the tracklogs have had points on them that were up to 20 km from where they should be. The tracklog would be faithfully following the track we were on then chuck in one point that's 20km away, then resume faithfully logging where we actually were. Could having WAAS turned on have something to do with this ?

After reading about WAAS being pretty useless to us in Oz, I thought I'd turn it off on my 500. I got into the "03" secret squirrel menu and found what looks like a table of avail satellites with 3 x ON text boxes. To turn off WAAS do I change all 3 of these to OFF ?

Wiggy

Nicko
7th May 2007, 12:47 PM
not familiar with resettingthe Magellan to factory default (assuming it is an Aussie eXplorist) but I suggest you try that first.

The Explorer
7th May 2007, 03:11 PM
:bigwave-s

Could having WAAS turned on have something to do with this ?

Some people believe that having WAAS on can cause positional errros here in Australia. There is certainly no reason to have it on...so best to turn it off.

: To turn off WAAS do I change all 3 of these to OFF ?
Wiggy

Yes ...though I dont think you actually have a choice - its all or nothing. Pressing enter turns them all off at once..not sure how to do them individually.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
7th May 2007, 03:30 PM
not familiar with resettingthe Magellan to factory default (assuming it is an Aussie eXplorist) but I suggest you try that first.

Resetting to default turns WAAS on not off - this applys to all units, worldwide. There are only two versions of the explorist firmware - Nth American and European - on both the default setting for WAAS is on. There is no Australian version of the firmware..though the European version is recommended by Next Destination..I think?

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
7th May 2007, 05:09 PM
Damn I should have read this topic earlier I could have confirmed that directly with ND. But I was under the impression that WAAS is not set to on worlwide.

The Explorer
8th May 2007, 08:26 AM
But I was under the impression that WAAS is not set to on worlwide.

Probably shouldnt be but it would not be practical to produce firmware with different defaults for every different part of the world...though does Europe have WAAS? Maybe there is an argument for the European version to be off by defaiult.

With (most?) Garmins it is easy for the average punter to turn WAAS on and off as it is not a "hidden" menu item. Strangely on (most) Magellans you must seek out secret codes to turn it off and on - a pain, especially since it will be on if you reset defaults or upload new firmware.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
8th May 2007, 11:58 AM
1. Turn on the eXplorist
2. Press menu
3. press left right left right left until two zeros come up on the screen
4. change to 03 press enter
5. should either go back to main menu or turn off.

The Explorer
8th May 2007, 02:40 PM
1. Turn on the eXplorist
2. Press menu
3. press left right left right left until two zeros come up on the screen
4. change to 03 press enter
5. should either go back to main menu or turn off.

Yep - I use the other method where you hold down the NAV key and then power on , release NAV key before first screen appears otherwise doesnt work.

The entire list of "hidden" menu numbers and their functions are here- warning - use at your own peril!! :grnmonstr some cause undesirable results

http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm

Cheers
Greg

camillusde
9th May 2007, 06:56 AM
:hatoff I bought a Magellan Gold GPS about 2 years ago. Does anyone know of any updated maps that can be used with these?

The Explorer
9th May 2007, 09:00 AM
:hatoff I bought a Magellan Gold GPS about 2 years ago. Does anyone know of any updated maps that can be used with these?

Available map products are shown here

http://www.magellan.com.au/Pages/Products.aspx?BrandId=13&CategoryId=72

DAST Topo on SD card is the "latest"

DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks Topo V1.5 - Updated Version
Add detailed land maps to your Magellan Meridian (Colour, Platinum, Marine or Gold) or or eXplorist (4/5/600 and XL). Everything from suburban streets to 4WD tracks with elevation data including contour lines to 5m intervals. Supplied on 1GB SD card.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
9th May 2007, 09:04 AM
PS you can get it cheaper here

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?cPath=54_98

and here

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/magellan_mapping.htm#da_sbs