PDA

View Full Version : Magellan explorist models

reddeer
20th May 2007, 08:17 PM
Hello everyone.

First of all. I was given a magellan explorist GPS when i was in the US so therefore it has a US base map in it. My Questions are.

1) Do all Australian base maps for the explorist fit any explorist model.
I have spoken to magellan direct and they have told me that they charge $500 to change the base map in my GPS So my next Question is.

2) Doe,s anyone know were i can get the base map for my GPS cheaper or how i can do it.?
3) Which is the best base map to get that has everything in it.

If anyone has any knowledge it would be greatly appreciated you can contact me at reddeer04@hotmail directly if you so wish.

Thanks.

Nicko
20th May 2007, 11:31 PM
1) Do all Australian base maps for the explorist fit any explorist model.

No, only the mapping units, such as the 210, 400, 500, 600 and XL

2) Doe,s anyone know were i can get the base map for my GPS cheaper or how i can do it.?

type in "magellan base map" in the search and ye shall find!

No base map has everything in it, that's why Magellan and Garmin make you buy maps so that you can have everything in it... everything they think you need anyways. The best is questionable these days as you can buy desert tracks from our shop and Garmin you can buy street or marine but desert you can get free, again from here or our shop.

michaeld
21st May 2007, 01:27 PM
Discover Aust. streets and tracks is more usefull as it has nearly all the big and small roads of Aust.

owen
23rd May 2007, 04:55 PM
I concur with last. The base map only shows main roads and towns and certqainly not worth $500. For $400 you can get topo/street maps from Next Destination. I suspect that the base map of Australia is the reason Magellan is that much more expensive in Australia. Story goes that in the US the government cant charge for copyright to their maps cos the gov is owned by all americans. Australian gov use our money to make maps and then charge us to use them. I can believe it even if its anecdotal evidence.

Owen

Nicko
23rd May 2007, 05:26 PM
No, the reason why it cost so much to get the basemap of AU put in because they want to recoup for the loss of revenue from you buying a US base mapped unit. The basemap they have would have cost around $50.

arthurking83
24th May 2007, 10:34 PM
Magellans basemap may have COST $50 per unit, but it's value is less than a mudmap of an island somewhere in the south pacific!
ie. useless for any reasonable travelling.

Load any of the DAST maps and the basemap will never be seen again, unless you regularly zoom to the 20km zoom level!

DAST v1 on CD is good value(at about $200??) DAST topo is great on details, but 2x the cost(~$400??)

You can easily find and load a basemap, but its kinda a waste of time, because of its (almost)useless detail.

cbro
9th June 2007, 04:11 PM
So does this mean that if you get a US base-map Magellan XL you can just put any compatible map of Australia on the the unit and the fact that it never had a base map doesn't matter? Including the free maps that are on this site?

Or do you need to buy the worldwide basemap software first? To then load free maps?

Sorry, i'm a little confused!

cbro
9th June 2007, 04:12 PM
So does this mean that if you get a US base-map Magellan XL you can just put any compatible map of Australia on the the unit and the fact that it never had a base map doesn't matter? Including the free maps that are on this site?

Or do you need to buy the worldwide basemap software first? To then load free maps? So why would you buy one in Australia except for Warranty issues

Sorry, i'm a little confused!

Nicko
9th June 2007, 04:19 PM
The free maps on this site are for laptop/pocket PC and Garmin only. With a USA basemap if you install Magellans DiscoverAUS streets & Tracks as soon as you zoom out past 5km scale you will see no detail as the GPS uses the basemap past that point. The basemap can only be changed by Magellan's Aussie Disto, Next Destination for $300 or so. Getting the worldmap will not go into the memory that the basemap is found only on a datacrad that you have, no different to what happens when you have DiscoverAUS Streets and Tracks SD card

AusStealth
9th June 2007, 06:54 PM
Small thread hijack, but related to this US vs Oz discussion. Has anyone noticed a two minute time lag on their XL? Mine was bought in the US and now has the 1.55 firmware. However, even before the firmware update this time shift existed. Magellan support just came back with a "reset the device" and then haven't responded further.

arthurking83
11th June 2007, 05:07 PM
I think Magellan GPS's have had a 2 minute time lag from the 2000XL series GPS (circ. 1996??)

:confused:

AusStealth
11th June 2007, 10:02 PM
I think Magellan GPS's have had a 2 minute time lag from the 2000XL series GPS (circ. 1996??)

Just fired up my 2000XL and its within a second or so of the right time. I did see mentioned somewhere that the Meridian had an error though.

arthurking83
11th June 2007, 10:18 PM
Give it a few days though!

My Meridian, and 2000XL had/have time errors of around two mins.
Sold the XL many moons ago!

I usually notice the error after a few days.

ps. I don't find that it's an issue, as I'm usually late by far more than 2 mins!! ;).... many more hours than that, so in reality, what's 2 minutes anyhow? :p

AusStealth
22nd June 2007, 09:18 PM
what's 2 minutes anyhow? :p

A thirty year career watching clocks and timing to the half minute makes you that way. However, as you say its not an issue, just curiosity really. Still nothing back from Magellan US on it though.

The Explorer
23rd June 2007, 10:41 AM
Hello - just for record books the latest DiscoverAus Street by Street software (for eXplorist 400, 500, 600 and XL. ) doesnt work with units that have US basemap...so they say. Assume the software must utilise the basemap POI database or something. Not good if you are a US tourist in Australia and want to use the software to find you way around.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
23rd June 2007, 12:10 PM
This was the same for the Roadmate 300 that Next Destination Launched. Maybe I'm being a bit too suspicious but I can't see why Australia is the only country in the world this problem is occuring. Either way you look at it, true or untrue it can only hurt ND and deservedly so. Don't bring a product to market if it is not internationally compatible. Now, I am getting somewhat tired of Magellan/ND inability to maintain or build a good product because thus far I have not seen any consistant product range stability. The only option is for me to buy the Street by Street and a US basemapped Explorist and see what happens.

The Explorer
23rd June 2007, 12:23 PM
...I obtained the "will not operate on units with US basemaps" info here..

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/magellan_mapping.htm#da_sbs

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
23rd June 2007, 01:00 PM
"Grey Imports".... that's okay then, a US tourist who brings in his eXplorist can install and use Street by Street because it is not a "Grey Import". Street by Street must know if it is a grey import, it's smarter than I realised. Now my suspicions are stronger! Well done Dougie!

Macka
25th June 2007, 07:17 PM
I have copied the Aust base map from my 600 and pasted it onto a US import 600 and all works well. The unit recognises that it is now in Australia and works with Disc Aust Streets & Tracks (CD version).

The basemap file is about 8meg.

The Explorer
25th June 2007, 10:02 PM
I have copied the Aust base map from my 600 and pasted it onto a US import 600 and all works well. The unit recognises that it is now in Australia and works with Disc Aust Streets & Tracks (CD version).

The basemap file is about 8meg.

umm erh, yes, we all sort of knew that but dont generally discuss it on this forum (except hypothetically) as it, apparently, breaches some copyright law! Thats ok though cause Im sure you deleted the basemap copy and put back the US version after experimenting...didnt you?

Cheers
Greg

bmac009
29th June 2007, 08:55 AM
Where can I download an updated Australia basemap. Mine is the NAmerican basemap. It is a really annoying when zooming out at 1.4Km. It isn't the 5km zoom level. So at 700m it is fine.

So in the internal memory there is a directory called Background Maps. Then there is a file called BASEMAP.MGI Also on the root drive there is a file called CHKLST.txt. In that file there is a line of
Background Maps\BASEMAP.MGI

Just wanting to replace or try replacing this file with a new australia basemap. (Am thinking this file is the basemap).

The Explorer
29th June 2007, 09:02 AM
Hello - As I mention in PM AFAIK there is no where on the net you can download the eXplorist AUS basemap. If someone were to make it publically available they would be breaking the law...which is not to say someone wont/isnt doing it:)

Cheers
Greg

bmac009
29th June 2007, 09:12 AM
Sorry guys don't want to break the law.