PDA

View Full Version : Which PDA ?

RUSCHIE
12th July 2005, 03:58 PM
I'm looking at connecting my Etrex GPS to a PDA .Can any one give me an idea as which one would be most suitable for mapping purposes ?

Smocky
12th July 2005, 04:41 PM
That's quite an interesting question. The reason I say that is that the basic eTrex can't connect to a PDA I don't think. None of the eTrex can connect directly, you'll need a special cable or bluetooth or something.

What eTrex do you have?

Have you thought of other alternatives? You can buy a PDA including Destinator for not much more than the normal PDA. Look at the Navman PIN.

Cheers,

Smocky.

Craigus
12th July 2005, 05:25 PM
Can I ask why you want to use a PDA? Not thought of using a carputer or a Laptop?

Smocky
12th July 2005, 06:18 PM
Craig, I know you're all for the "Carputer" , but PDA's are OK depending on your needs. I have my iMate mounted just to the left of the steering wheel at eye level and it's good there. A larger screen takes up so much space that you have to compromise something else, like vision, radio or air vents.

Not trying to devalue the carputer, but I'd be looking at needs first, then evaluating a solution that fits. The tablet PC for example that I've got for work is fantastic. 10" touch screen, full Windows XP, runs from the cigarette lighter etc, but where do you put the bastard !!!!

Anyway, just trying to help.

Jason.

Craigus
12th July 2005, 06:36 PM
No probs mate, each to their own ey. Just the PDA's are a bit pricey.

I have a Toshiba pocket PC here that died on me a while back if you want it. All it need it a new battery soldered into it I belive I just couldn't be ****d pulling it apart. This is my resoning for using a laptop not a PDA.

strider01
12th July 2005, 06:46 PM
Just my 2 cents worth here.

I run a 7" screen in my Pathfinder and an XDAII PDA in my work car. I must say I prefer the larger screen of the LCD and luckily in my car it doesn't obstruct much at all. I do loose the clock though but it is displayed on the LCD screen anyway so that's not so bad.

Still people need to assess their individual circumstances and also look at the safety factor of having a largish screen in the car. If you can find a place not in the way - excellent. If not then the PDA option is often the best of both worlds.

RUSCHIE
12th July 2005, 08:34 PM
I,m looking at running the set up on a motor bike so space is at a premium .My Etrex is the little yellow jigger and I have the right USB cable .I have an article about a bloke who travelled thru Europe with this set up but he doesn't say which PDA he used only that he used the same Gps as mine.

Dooghan
13th July 2005, 05:12 AM
The Etrex can be connected to any PDA that has a serial connection. I've got a Palm M500 which I connect up to the basic Etrex. I made the cable myself and its not hard. As for mapping I don't use it for that. It's a bit old, a bit slow, and the mapping programs that I've used had been hard to convert and calibrate the maps. I just use mine to manage and store my waypoints, routes and tracks. If it was me I would go for PPC and run Oziexplorer CE on it. I believe the navman can run the oziexplorer CE quite well. If you want to find out if a PPC has serial connection just do a search on the net for a serial cable for that PPC.

Dooghan

prado4x4
13th July 2005, 02:22 PM
As mentioned previously, a pocket pc (PPC) that you can run oziexplorer-ce
on is worthwhile.

It's also worth picking one up from eBay second hand to save some dollars.

I've got friends who picked up ipaq 3360's for around $150 (Just make
sure you get one with the CF card expansion sleeve so you've got a slot
to store all you're maps on).

I paid a bit more ($230) and picked up an ipaq 2210. The 2210 has
inbuilt SD and CF card slots. This allows me to put the maps on the sd
card and use a CF card GPS if I want.

Something to think about if you don't want to spend big bucks on a new
PDA.

John

RUSCHIE
13th July 2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Guy's , Thats what I needed to know . I'll look into Ebay and see if I can get a IPAQ 2210 , that sounds like the go

RUSCHIE

Chris
14th July 2005, 12:23 AM
I just bought 15 refurbished iPaq 3660's with a CF Expansion pack for some members of our 4x4 club and paid $90 each for them. They're an older model but work fine with Ozi.

I think the guy may have some left PM me if you want the details.

RUSCHIE
16th July 2005, 07:05 PM
That would be great Chris , My email is brusch48@bigpond.net.au If you could forward the details .

Thanks
RUSCHIE

Craigus
16th July 2005, 07:19 PM
I'm very keep on one if you still have them.. :eek:

strider01
16th July 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Chris,

Do these 3660's have bluetooth? I can't remember but my old 3670 (I think it was) from work didn't have this. If they don't then people would need to be aware they will need to get an Ipaq to serial cable (which aren't hard to come by - don't fear there) to communicate with the GPS for Ozi.

Or did these have another connection option? Sounds like a great deal though for $90 each!!

Nicko
18th August 2005, 01:01 AM
Be aware that old Pocket PC or PDAs may not be able to run street navigation software if you have that in mind. Even the current rz1710 cannot use Travroute or Destinator as it doesn't have enough onboard memory for the programs.

As for connecting any GPS on the market to a PDA or laptop/notebook, it's possible but the issue is what software can you use with the OS on the PPC/PDA? As mentioned above Palm software for the purpose of navigating is hard to come by, because most vendors are producing software for the Microsoft PPC Operating System (OS). This means, HP, Asus, Acer, MIO, Navman, and probably another 10 brands I could name but to much to type, cos it's late and I want to go to bed.

GPS Australia is in the process of setting up a shop online (As can be seen by the fact an "Online Shop" button is at the top of this page) and have prices for practically anything you need to connect a GPS to a PDA/PPC and or street and marine navigating software. They also have prices and information on GPS for connecting to notebooks and PDAs in their grubby little hands, but because they may not have had an opportuity to go through the 35 pages just yet they will currently need a bit of time to answer your questions. In the meantime, keep the question flowing and I will give you an answer, both right and wrong :D

Oh, and another thing, the HP iPAQ 2210 and 2215 have a problem with Bluetooth (BT) GPS that have an "UP to" 10 metre range. I advise you look into the up to 80 metre GlobalSat BT318X to make sure you don't have any problems.

Cables..... you tell me what you want to connect to what and I will let you know what it is and code and GPS Australia can give you a price from their store...... If you need to power up your PPC we have the answer there as well.

If you are looking at an old PPC I have a liking for the HP iPAQ 3970. It's fast, it has enough memory for street nav software, it has BT and cradles and other accessories are availble for it. Other older units that may be useful are the other 3900 series and 3800 series. Just make sure it has a minimum of 32MB on board memory and a preference for BT.

:cool: The confuser!

franzer
2nd October 2005, 05:24 PM
I have the ipaq rx3115 which i run oziexplorer ce and some other gps apps on, and it works great, picked it up from ebay.

Nicko
19th October 2005, 12:42 AM
Just an update, Destinator PN (update of Destinator 3) is stating a minimum of 64MB on board memory.