PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tablet PC

JoeT
28th May 2007, 03:26 PM
I have a Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 running Windows Tablet WIN98 SE and Oziexplorer. I connect my Magellan Meridian to it for moving map in the car.

AS the tablet is permanently in the car what I want to do is buy a second receiver only SIRFIII to connect directly into the tablet that way I have redundancy if the Magellan carks it.

I have a PCMCIA and USB1.0 on the tablet to connect to and here I think I might have problems as the receivers probably use USB2.0

I know the other way to do it is to purchase a second hand cheapie gps as a backup.... I am in two minds which way to go, if I go this way I can fit an ext aerial mouse to the Magellan to improve reception.

Eager to get the views of others on this forum....

Thanks in Advance

JoeT

Nicko
28th May 2007, 04:01 PM
Check out our shop and click on GPS bargains.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?cPath=79

We have a problem with the ordering system, it only supplies us half the card details, thus please call on the 1800 number to order.

As to USB ver 1 a version 2 is backward compatible. A version 1 will be a SiRF II and we have 3x BU-353 in stock which will work fine, at $60 each plus $10 freight and have 12 months warranty.

We also have re-radiating antennas which will overcome any issue with signal reception, see link below

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?cPath=56_112

seankav
28th May 2007, 04:06 PM
I have used two different USB GPS units and have been very happy with their performance.

At under $100 they were a bargain. No batteries, fast start up and location, magnetic base so you just stick it on the roof....love 'em.

One is 1 year old and is a TS-GPM008 from http://www.twig.com.au while the older one is more like 4 years old and is no longer available. I have not really noticed any difference in performance between the two.

The data rate is so low that they are probably USB 1 spec but the supplier will be able to confirm this. Both of mine have worked in a very old laptop that is definitely USB 1 only.

For the ease and convenience I would recommend one of these as the main unit without hesitation.

The only catch is that the drivers are sensitive to the USB port you set them up on and will see it as a USB to Serial converter and will give that particular USB port a name like Com4 or Com5.

If you then plug it into another port the next day it will run through the device detection guff and give it a new com port number so you then need to change the com settings in Ozi etc...The moral is, pick a USB port and stick to using that one.

I still have and love my Garmin 60cs but these are great for use in the car with a tablet or lappie.

Cheers,

Sean

seankav
28th May 2007, 04:17 PM
Doh! Didn't even think to suggest looking here for these things....go with Nicko and support our host of these forums :mighty

Sean

Nicko
28th May 2007, 05:00 PM
SeanKav that unit you have is a Sony Chipped 12 channel and would be slightly better performance to your 4 year old unit that you had. The BU-303 is of same performance as yours. The newer SiRF III (20 channel) and MTK32 (32 channel) are priced as low as $90, so a bargain with us is always going to be had ;)

StormyKnight
6th December 2007, 04:35 PM
As an owner of one of these USB GPS BU-303 mice, I have an issue that I want to know if there is a solution?

Because the GPS gets its power from the USB port, when the laptop is turned off, the GPS losses its power. This means on restart it has to redo the initialisation which can take several minutes.

Two questions...
Are the Sirf III units much quicker than this on restart OR
Is there a 5V injector thingy that will constantly supply the GPS with power from the cars battery, even when the laptop is off, thus it will be instantly available when needed?

Thanks
Richard

Nicko
6th December 2007, 08:02 PM
Choose a BT GPS with facility to turn into a mouse as it has a built-in battery to assist in quick aquisition. However, even when the BU-3903 is turned off and turned back on again it shouldn't take any more than a minute.