PDA

View Full Version : Gooday all (TrackRanger user)

lakevic1
7th June 2007, 05:28 PM
I am reasonably well into gps/arcmap/gis stuff in my work but not travelling with notebook/gps/trackranger. Just attempting to seek out other users of similar systems to find out who has developed things relating to the above and share info. Reasonable digital maps would be a good beginning, beats me scanning them and callibrating the jpegs, would much rather jump right on in and use reasonable quality ecw stuff.
Oh and by the way I have an older 80 series landcruiser and off road campertrailer and use it. Fishing is good!
regards
peterM

Dooghan
7th June 2007, 06:14 PM
G'Day lakevic1

Welcome to the forum. I don't use Trackranger myself as I prefer to use Oziexplorer. I have seen some posts on the site about Trackranger so there must be someone here that uses it.

lakevic1
7th June 2007, 07:15 PM
Hello Dooghan
thanks for the welcome mat. I suppose the best way to find the Trackranger users is to get a thread going but I am still sussing out the forum topics to find best one to post in. Any advice with that would be appreciated....
cheers
peter

Michael
7th June 2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Lakevic1
Welcome aboard. :hatoff

Where are you from & where are you travelling now?
Holiday? Long service?
Do you use GPS etc just for work, or recreation as well?
There are some good digitally created maps of Vic & NSW available thru the forums, courtesy of our resident genius Festy.

regards Michael

lakevic1
7th June 2007, 07:52 PM
Hello Michael

I'm in Canberra, work as Nat Park Ranger use gps and mainly ArcMap a fair bit, weeds, woodlands research, ferals, etc. Travel as often as I can but I can tell you not too far away to getting on wallaby with other half. I just realised that most of my paper maps were 20+ years old and have begun by adding recent Natmap 1:250000 to laptop but certainly not detailed enough. I was browsing around the forum posts but soon began to realise that Oziexplorer format is common but I think I am chasing down ecw format. (I have used Ozi at work and dont like it too much but it is useable but I sort of went Trackranger for want of something different, but I may revert). Anyway how would I go about finding the bits in the forum relating to Festy's genius.
cheers
peter

Michael
7th June 2007, 08:06 PM
These maps are for Ozi, but you might be interested. Have read thru the last few pages of this thread, then PM several of those who have recently received the DVD & ask them to send you a copy. Then post in the thread, who sent it to you & be prepared to pass it on. :hatoff
Most people in the Vic thread are sending on both the Vic & NSW DVDs if you ask nicely :mighty

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?p=17426#post17426

regards Michael

Michael
7th June 2007, 08:14 PM
BTW since you are one of the few to use both Ozi & Trackranger, would you be able to list the pros & cons of both & why you prefer Trackranger?
I have only used Ozi
When in England recently I bought a Memory Map DVD of Greater London & a Anquet DVD of Britain 1:50k.
Those programs are fine for viewing the maps on a computer but I find them much harder to use with the GPS.
They are not as well set up to display, store & edit multiple tracklogs.

regards Michael

The Explorer
7th June 2007, 08:24 PM
There are some good digitally created maps of Vic & NSW available thru the forums, courtesy of our resident genius Festy.

regards Michael

…Though you will have to calibrate them yourself as only the OziExplorer calibration files are supplied and can not be imported into TrackRanger (AFAIK) to save you time. Maybe Dooghan has them…but can he provide them for others to use?? I am lead to believe you can not "share" TrackRanger map calibration data due the method they use for storing the calibration information in some central database file??. But I could be wrong about this. I have just sent some maps off to the TrackRanger guys that I have scanned in the hope they can provide me some info on how to calibrate them correctly for TrackRanger users (since they don’t provide a demo version to try myself). Get the impression the best (and maybe only) to get maps working is to geo-rectified the map image so it has equal scale in all directions, converted to ecw and insert header information to allow import into TrackRanger ie unlike OziExplorer where you can scan any map(upside down if you wish) calibrate it and it will work. Has anyone had experience in calibrating entire scanned map sheets in TrackRanger?

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
7th June 2007, 08:40 PM
I have used Ozi at work .....but I sort of went Trackranger for want of something different, but I may revert).

Reverting may be a wise choice - I use ArcMap and OziExplorer on almost a daily basis. I collect data in field with PDA/OziExplorerCe or handheld GPS and then use PC version of OE to export data to Arcview shape files (a couple of button presses) to create data useable with Arcmap. It couldnt be easier.

Cheers
Greg

Dooghan
8th June 2007, 05:00 AM
Maybe Dooghan has them…but can he provide them for others to use?? :confused :confused :confused

I don't have or use Trackrange.

The Explorer
8th June 2007, 08:54 AM
:confused :confused :confused

I don't have or use Trackrange.

Well your not much help then :) Woops, sorry - I need glasses, maybe its time I went and got some.

Cheers
Greg

Michael
8th June 2007, 06:26 PM
Woops, sorry - I need glasses, maybe its time I went and got some.

Cheers
Greg

My wife's an optometrist, so give us a call next time you are in Vic. :laughing :laughing

regards Michael

Dooghan
8th June 2007, 06:47 PM
I do remember someone saying this
I am lead to believe you can not "share" TrackRanger map calibration data due the method they use for storing the calibration information in some central database file??. But I could be wrong about this.Is that any help to you :grinning- :lol2

Nev
9th June 2007, 05:01 AM
Sorry I don't use TrackRanger either. Been an OziExplorer fan for many years.
I have an old - 2002 v2.6 TrackRanger demo here but with the program now at v6 guess it is not of much use :hitpc

The user manual can be downloaded from here:
http://www.advantechdesign.com.au/TrackRanger_Manual.pdf

Pages 110 on give fairly detailed information on calibration.
Page 116 seems to summarise calibration data details.

Neville

The Explorer
9th June 2007, 07:49 AM
The user manual can be downloaded from here:
http://www.advantechdesign.com.au/TrackRanger_Manual.pdf

Pages 110 on give fairly detailed information on calibration.
Page 116 seems to summarise calibration data details.

Neville

Yes I have previously had a look at the manual. This is where I initial got the impression that Trackranger doesn't have a separate calibration file for each map (like OziExplorer *.map files) but creates single main database file (TrackRanger.ini) that records the calibration data that is accessed when you load a map into trackranger. I have however just re-read the help file on the pages you named and it appears that there maybe a separate file created for each map as it states -

"Coordinate point data is saved to the local database (TrackRanger.ini) AND the corresponding ini file for the open map, and is then automatically re-loaded, each time the map is opened."

This suggests that if you calibrate a map in TrackRanger you can then pass on the relevant *.ini file for a particular map so that someone else can use it (and save calibrating it them selves). I shall contact Trackranger guys and see if this is the case as it would be handy for Trackranger users to do this like OziExplorer users do.

Cheers
Greg

lakevic1
10th June 2007, 01:14 PM
Thankyou to everyone for discussing this though I am a bit worried to go down the road of callibration discs full of maps if I use converted Ozi maps , I am impressed with this forum and to think I still cannot figure out how I stumbled across it?!!
Anyway I will crank up my Ozi at work and go weed mapping or kangaroo exclusion fenceline setting etc and see if I can draw out any foibles then hopefully when brand spanking new Durabook arrives next week I will do same with TrackRanger.
And yes Greg I do the same as you converting Ozi stuff to shapefiles and its a whiz.
Anyway I had a reply from NSW Lands and they have Raster maps of all of nsw- all 1125 of them I think 1:100000 50k and 25k linked for my use, all for less than $300 and I think they work with Trackranger and should be callibrated (I will phone their techos). Sounds like this may be my best bet in the probable adsence of working Trackranger maps.
cheers
peterM

michaeld
10th June 2007, 05:13 PM
the NSW topos also have a mosaic of all NSW

Bartt
4th October 2007, 10:09 AM
so can anyone outline why Ozi is so much more popular then Trackranger? (pros/cons other then the $100 difference). is there a Demo version of Trackranger available anywhere to try before you buy?
ive given ozi a bit of a test recently and am quite impressed with it, but would still like to consider other options.
thanks.

Nicko
4th October 2007, 11:02 AM
There is no trial version of TrackRanger. Trackranger needs to seriously look at their marketing skills if they want to make their product competitive. Apparently TrackRanger is more comprehensive than Ozi and a little bit more professional looking but priced well above Ozi.

Because so few people have purchased Trackranger compared to Ozi you will find very few people answering your question as users. I hope someone here can give some detail.

The Explorer
4th October 2007, 11:16 AM
Apparently TrackRanger is more comprehensive than Ozi and a little bit more professional looking but priced well above Ozi.

"Apparently" is the word. Had a few people claim Trackranger is "better" (whatever that means)...but no one ever details how or why. Trackranger may have features that Ozi doesnt...but Im sure Ozi has features Trackranger doesn't either. Research is key to getting product that suits your requirements best. If OziEexplorer doesn't do what most people require from a GPS mapping program (and more) I would be very surprised. As Nicko points out it is used my many people (world wide) and so getting help when starting out is easy.
Cheers
Greg

Bushranger
2nd November 2008, 08:10 AM
Regards to forum members. I have just found this forum. I have used both Trackranger and Ozi and for functionality and ease of use, I prefer Trackranger.

The thread I am reading in the forum is over 12 months old, so the members may have resolved their issues. However the main benefit I see in Trackranger is that ECW maps can be directly loaded in Trackranger. No special map.ini files are needed. Accordingly the NSW Topo Raster series works right out of the box, so long as you get it in ECW format, not memory-map format.

However my experience is that far fewer people seem to know about Trackranger than Ozi. The Ozi web site is very useful. I am not aware of any such site for Trackranger. If there is, please advise. If not, Trackranger would be well advised to start one. The more resources available to users, the better.

The Explorer
2nd November 2008, 08:40 AM
However the main benefit I see in Trackranger is that ECW maps can be directly loaded in Trackranger. No special map.ini files are needed. Accordingly the NSW Topo Raster series works right out of the box, so long as you get it in ECW format, not memory-map format.

...same with OziExplorer - direct import of ecw files is easy...plus ecw can also be used on the CE version of Ozi. Unfortunately there is no CE/windows mobile version of Trackranger which limits its range of uses. They also dont provide a demo version which means you cant try before you buy.
Cheers
Greg

Nicko
2nd November 2008, 11:38 AM
I want to add the CompeGPS in here, there is a demo version and a PocketPC version and from my own experience is easier to use. www.compegps.com

They also have products that combine street navigation and off road topo maps called TwoNav www.twonav.com but is not available in Australia yet.