PDA

View Full Version : bluetooth

Freshman
9th June 2007, 11:23 AM
Hi all I just have a quick question.Is there a bluetooth receiver that I can use with Ozi and Mapsource as Mapsource seems to need a garmin receiver this is for use on a laptop.Thanks in advance.

Dooghan
9th June 2007, 12:11 PM
How about this one Garmin 10 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=272)

Nicko
9th June 2007, 12:48 PM
I knew i should have put the GPS 10 in the shop.... Yes the GPS10, that works well!

Freshman
14th June 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi thanks for that Just one more question will the gps10 also work in ozi couldnt find it in the menu .

rotax racer
14th June 2007, 11:06 PM
I have a gamin gps 10 bluetooth. Had a bit of fun setting it up to talk to ozi

on the configuration page i did the followering
gps page
gps make use Garmin
gps model use other garmin

on the COM page
tick use pvt for garmin instead of nmea

The Explorer
14th June 2007, 11:23 PM
How about this one Garmin 10 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=272)

Hello, I am no Garmin expert but the version of Mapsource I have doesn’t seem to accept NMEA data (which is all the Garmin 10 outputs... I think?) The Mapsource program I have just uploads/downloads waypoints etc from Garmin handheld GPS units. Suspect Freshman’s best bet is to find a GPS unit that works with OziExplorer (and suits his other requirements – Garmin 10 may well suit his requirements but no specific reason to get a Garmin device - there are many other options) and then just save and export data in GPX format (a function of OziExplorer) which can then be imported easily into Mapsource.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
14th June 2007, 11:47 PM
If you are thinking of using Mapsource City Navigator on laptop then you have to have a mapping Garmin GPS or the GPS18 or GPS10.

The Explorer
15th June 2007, 12:03 AM
If you are thinking of using Mapsource City Navigator on laptop then you have to have a mapping Garmin GPS or the GPS18 or GPS10.

Good point - Freshman doesn't specify what version of "Mapsource" he is using which makes it difficult to provide right answer to his initial question.

Cheers
Greg

Dooghan
15th June 2007, 05:03 AM
Hello, I am no Garmin expert but the version of Mapsource I have doesn’t seem to accept NMEA data (which is all the Garmin 10 outputs... I think?) The Mapsource program I have just uploads/downloads waypoints etc from Garmin handheld GPS units. Suspect Freshman’s best bet is to find a GPS unit that works with OziExplorer (and suits his other requirements – Garmin 10 may well suit his requirements but no specific reason to get a Garmin device - there are many other options) and then just save and export data in GPX format (a function of OziExplorer) which can then be imported easily into Mapsource.

Cheers
GregGarmin use there own protocol to talk to there software which the Garmin 10 will do. That includes Mapsource and Nroute. The same protocol is use in Ozi which rotax racer gave the answer to. If you know of a another Non-Garmin GPS that that talks the Garmin protocol and can be used with Mapsource please let us know. I would be very interested in it.

The Explorer
15th June 2007, 07:52 AM
Garmin use there own protocol to talk to there software which the Garmin 10 will do. That includes Mapsource and Nroute. The same protocol is use in Ozi which rotax racer gave the answer to. If you know of a another Non-Garmin GPS that that talks the Garmin protocol and can be used with Mapsource please let us know. I would be very interested in it.

Sorry - understand that - thought he was just after NMEA device (NMEA is not a Garmin specific format). The comment "Mapsource" is ambiguous. There are a number of Mapsource products. My understanding is that some Mapsource products do not accept data (NMEA or Garmin specific) that can be used for "moving map" but only can be used to upload/download waypoints and tracks etc...hence my suggestion to get a nmea device that would work with OziExplorer (if that was what he was after). A Garmin 10 is obviously OK for this purpose (I assume), but there are cheaper options ie an el cheapo usb GPS mouse.

Cheers
Greg

Nev
15th June 2007, 08:41 AM
If you know of a another Non-Garmin GPS that that talks the Garmin protocol and can be used with Mapsource please let us know. I would be very interested in it.

I have used this in between.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/861663-post18.html

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=139292&package_id=152765

There are other methods but my fingers now have cramp!
Google is a great help. :devil-smi
Not too sure about ethics, copyright issues etc.

Neville

The Explorer
15th June 2007, 12:48 PM
Garmin use there own protocol to talk to there software which the Garmin 10 will do. That includes Mapsource and Nroute. The same protocol is use in Ozi which rotax racer gave the answer to. If you know of a another Non-Garmin GPS that that talks the Garmin protocol and can be used with Mapsource please let us know. I would be very interested in it.

As I suspected ...... The Garmin website suggests that the GPS 10 is only compatible with the range of City Navigator, City Select and Metro Guide Canada Mapsource software products...which in Australia translates to one map product only - City Navigator Australia (or non Mapsource products such as OziExplorer). If you wish to utilise say Mapsource WorldMap then a GPS 10 is useless and you will need to get a Garmin handheld GPS unit or variation thereof.

Cheers
Greg
PS GPS 10 outputs NMEA format strings as well - read specs:)

Dooghan
15th June 2007, 05:58 PM
G'Day The Explorer

I see now where you are going wrong. You are thinking that each Garmin Mapsource product different from each other. The answer is yes and no. Mapsource has 2 parts, The program (called Mapsource) and the maps. Garmin made the program to be universal so they could use the same program across all there different mapping products. It a map manger. So for eg If I was to get Metro Aust and CN North America I would find that the program side is the same program in each product just the maps are different. No point in Garmin making a different program for each country. Just makes upgrades harder for them. This is one thing Garmin did right compared to Magellan

IN ALL Mapsource products you can upload/download waypoints, tracks and routes. Some products like world map and Trip & Waypoint Manager you CAN NOT load the map onto the GPS. That not to say you can't load Shonky or T4Aus on to you computer and upload them from those products because you can. You just can't load the world map or trips map. I saw a guy once get a copy of CN North America, load it on this computer, install T4Aus and then deleted the North America maps. All he was after was the program side for T4Aus so he could upload them to his GPS. You HAVE TO USE the Garmin protocol to talk to the GPS in Mapsource. If you try to use NMEA, Mapsource will not understand. Garmin's way of trying to get you to use there hardware with there software.

As Freshman asked for a BT GPS that will work WITH Mapsource I told him what he wanted. As Ozi understands the Garmin protocol it is just easier to use it then to go through and change the GPS everytime you change programs. Garmin did bring out a long time ago a SDK of the protocol which can be found on there website.

Dooghan
15th June 2007, 06:07 PM
I have used this in between.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/861663-post18.html

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=139292&package_id=152765

There are other methods but my fingers now have cramp!
Google is a great help. :devil-smi
Not too sure about ethics, copyright issues etc.

NevilleNot quite a GPS like what I was after. I've heard of this program before but I've never used it. Never had a need to. So tell use what's it like? Is it slow in the conversion? Is it easy to use? Is it reliable or does it crash often?

The Explorer
15th June 2007, 06:15 PM
G'Day The Explorer

I see now where you are going wrong. You are thinking that each Garmin Mapsource product different from each other. The answer is yes and no. Mapsource has 2 parts, The program (called Mapsource) and the maps. .................

IN ALL Mapsource products you can upload/download waypoints, tracks and routes. Some products like world map and Trip & Waypoint Manager you CAN NOT load the map onto the GPS. e............

Ok - thanks - now its all making sense...sort of. Think I should butt out of things I know little about and sit in corner and watch ...though I suppose at least I have learn't something even if I have wasted a few peoples time.

I still cant see how to initiate communications with a GPS for moving map in the Mapsource I have (World Map) - or does function only appear with certain map products installed. Not that it matters - I dont have a Garmin GPS!

Cheers
Greg

Dooghan
15th June 2007, 06:44 PM
Ok - thanks - now its all making sense...sort of. Think I should butt out of things I know little about and sit in corner and watch ...though I suppose at least I have learn't something even if I have wasted a few peoples time.

I still cant see how to initiate communications with a GPS for moving map in the Mapsource I have (World Map) - or does function only appear with certain map products installed. Not that it matters - I dont have a Garmin GPS!

Cheers
GregThe reason why I stay out Magellan stuff. I don't know enough about them. They took the moving map out of Mapsource at something like V4. You have to use Nroute now. Here's something you can do with Mapsource and Nroute. My Metro maps are registered to my 60CS. Now if it was to get say another Garmin GPS, I can upload the maps but the GPS will tell me I can't view them. Now if I get that other GPS Mapsource and Nroute will let me upload/download waypoints, tracks and routes to the other GPS from my registered maps. Nroute will also let me use on the computer the maps that are registered to my 60CS with the other Garmin GPS in moving map mode. I tried it once and it worked well.

Freshman
16th June 2007, 11:19 AM
Thankyou every one looks like gps10 is what I am after.I am using a gps12 via serial + laptop power from the cig lighter at the moment so a lot of wires.Thanka again.

Nicko
16th June 2007, 11:34 AM
You will find the GPS 10 at the following link

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/index.php?cPath=73_75

greg1
16th June 2007, 08:20 PM
I use Franson's GpsGate with a non Garmin bluetooth gps.
It converts NMEA to Garmin output. It also sets up a virtual port where multiple apps can be run simultaineously eg. oziexplorer, nRoute, Beelinegps, etc. There is no loss in speed, is reliable and is easy to use

http://franson.com/gpsgate/

The Explorer
16th June 2007, 08:35 PM
It converts NMEA to Garmin output. It also sets up a virtual port where multiple apps can be run simultaineously eg. oziexplorer, nRoute, Beelinegps, etc. There is no loss in speed, is reliable and is easy to use

http://franson.com/gpsgate/

Great info Re: NMEA to Garmin output.

Thanks
Greg

Dooghan
16th June 2007, 11:22 PM

http://franson.com/gpsgate/I have to agree with The Explorer, top stuff. I didn't know about that program.