PDA

View Full Version : Incar dash monitors

shreks1969
27th June 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi All

Im new to the GPS seen and have spent many weeks & Hours teaching myself the basics. I have set up Ozi explorer on my laptop to run with my hand held GPS unit. I have been told that you can use a small 7" screen that plugs into the laptop and can be mounted on the dash to monitor movemnt.

My questions are.

1 what should i be looking for as Ebay etc is a mine field ?
2 How do you minimse vibartion if its secured to the dash ?
3 Is there a better way

Regards

Shrek

Beast Of Bodmin
27th June 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Shrek,
I'm looking at doing the same too.
Guys in our 4wd club have 'Lilliput' brand 7inch VGA touch screens mounted in their 4Bs.

However l'm interested to fing out whether the std single DIN size touch screen with motorised screen will accept the VGA signal and display OziExp. I've not seen any setups with this type of display.

Currently l have a pda on a suction mount and if l had another chance, wouldn't use one. Screen is way too small even though it's a 4inch type VGA.

Cheers
BoB

Corry
28th June 2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I'm keen to hear about these set ups. We do alot of offroading so I'm not really keen on the motorized jobs, but the lilliput style screens I'm keen to hear about. Do you know if they work OK and what are they using with them, laptops or carputers?
I'm the same with the PDA on a windscreen mount, would never do it again, although I find the PDA screen OK, just the mounting is too soft.
Since I have been running the laptop on a custom stand, I like the size of the screen, but need the touch screen as it's difficult to use a mouse of the pad on the run.

Cheers
Corry

the evil twin
2nd July 2007, 04:06 PM
I am currently using a "no name" 8 inch LCD Touchy (VGA input) dash mount from Ebay ($250 but now discontinued). Works great however if you don't want to gamble on no names stick with the name brands such as Lilliput.

Prior to this I was using a 5 inch LCD (non VGA) dash mount with A/V input, worked OK but was a bit of a pain having to boot up lappy then change F5 key to A/V out to switch from Lappy to LCD.

Any of the 7 inch stuff (in dash or dash mount) should also work fine if they have a VGA input.

I keep my lappy under the seat and use a trackball mouse on centre console as the main pointing device. Works great on sandy tracks, gravel roads etc but gets unuseable when bad corrugations about....however you can't use the TS then either so no biggy

festy
2nd July 2007, 09:26 PM
You want one with VGA input, and a touch screen.
Most common ones are 7 or 8 inch - if you're mounting it in a double-DIN radio hole or space is a concern, then get a 7 inch. Otherwise get an 8 inch, the extra size makes a big difference.

You can use one that doesn't have a VGA input as long as your laptop has an AV output, but text is so much clearer with VGA that I wouldn't get one without it.
With the touch screen, you just run a USB cable from the screen to your laptop, and you shouldn't need a keyboard or mouse.

I use an 8 inch no-name ('Hami' for what it's worth) from ebay and it's been going great for over a year. I haven't heard any horror stories about cheap ebay screens, a good bet is to buy from one of the Hong Kong sellers with positive feedback in the thousands.

Mine is mounted to the dash via an adjustable arm I made up, it's 25x5mm mild steel with a 25x5mm perpendicular backbone - without that bracing it vibrated too much, but now it's pretty good.

Paul Bours
19th August 2007, 10:27 PM
howdy, I bought a in car monitor from ebay $200! it has a 11 pin input for a GPS what could I use? THe unit is a 6.5" touch screen with all the fruit. Is a kenwood "hidaway 510 unit" compatable?

cheers,
:

Nicko
20th August 2007, 01:23 AM
It might help to tell us what brand/model etc in dash unit you have. Telling us it has 11 pins for a GPS and all the fruit tells us, well, very little. The Kenwood unit is apparently suited to kenwood screens, thus you have to know pin configuration, voltage levels etc etc if looking at a none Kenwood screen. Some manufacturers produces something that may be protocol based, meaning only works with same brand. Also, is an AU map available for the Kenwood? If the unit you are looking at is from overseas then you will need an AU map and if it is more than $300 then you won't have saved anything and as you are looking at something quite unique, support will be a huge issue I'm sure.

Have fun :)

trakkie223
21st August 2007, 03:09 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the site and have been going through reading the threads. I have a IPAQ HX4700 PDA running CE with a Copilot gps. I was wondering how the people in this thread have faired and whether they have been successful in connecting a touch screen to a laptop. I'm a novice so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ross

JohnandVal
27th August 2007, 06:49 PM
I've been running an 8" monitor with a small pc (hp epc)running OE in a 4WD for a couple of years now. Came from Hong Kong through ebay. Suggest that the critical thing to look for is a native resolution of at least 800x600, capable of displaying 1028x768. I prefer an aspect ratio of 4:3, rather than the newer widescreen format. Mine is a touch screen, which to some extent gets around the difficulty of using a mouse in a vibrating vehicle on corrugations.

These are still on ebay and are now available with or without an inbuilt TV tuner, so might have a second application. Most come with AV connections too so might also be useful with a rear view camera.

For me, mounting was a major issue as I go bush, and a track is a real bonus! I finished up with the monitor hanging in an open-fronted sling attached to the top of the dash. It hangs in front of the radio and UHF, but can be lifted out of the way when you need to access them. In my opinion the sling mount is much easier on the monitor than a rigid mount, and so far it has survived. Mine's a no-name - I note that someone has recommended going for a recognised name such as Lilliput - I can't comment, but I think virtually all of these things (including Lilliput) have the same country of origin.

HTH

John

Beast Of Bodmin
29th August 2007, 07:37 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the site and have been going through reading the threads. I have a IPAQ HX4700 PDA running CE with a Copilot gps. I was wondering how the people in this thread have faired and whether they have been successful in connecting a touch screen to a laptop. I'm a novice so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ross

Hi Ross,
I too have a HX4700 with CE, if you search through some of my posts, you'll see it has been the bane of my '4WD with mapping' life. I don't know how your going with yours, but take real care of the 4700. The connection is part of the main circuit board and the 'offroad' use l have given it seems to have cracked this part of the power supply and/or gps connectivity.
I have used 3 different mounts - now with a clic-on, which is a beautiful machined (plastic) mount and cable from GPSOZ. However l have to hold the connector in a certain spot to get connectivity. I have also tried 2 other no name connectors and a hp mains adaptor type. They all behave the same with my pda.

Last week l bought a Lilliput vga 8" and a Globalsat 353 usb mouse. This will go in the car with a laptop. Laptop will be in the rear on top of the drawers, screen down by the side of the High/Low lever in the 80 series.
Lilliput driver was an absolute pig to install, took much head scratching over 2nights.

Cheers
BoB

UncySpam
29th August 2007, 06:38 PM
This is what I bought --> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110154740022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001
and I have mounted it using a RAM Mount (suction base to windscreen, bottom of screen rests on dash) Would recoommend this screenly very highly. Quite bright, very clear and easy to read...

I currently drive it through a Dell Axim X50V which works fine for OziExplorer, but Tomtom doesnt work.

I will be buying an in car pc to use with teh screen... when the dorrahs allow. Can post some pics of my setup if anyone is interested...

Beast Of Bodmin
29th August 2007, 09:42 PM
This is what I bought --> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110154740022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001
and I have mounted it using a RAM Mount (suction base to windscreen, bottom of screen rests on dash) Would recoommend this screenly very highly. Quite bright, very clear and easy to read...

I currently drive it through a Dell Axim X50V which works fine for OziExplorer, but Tomtom doesnt work.

I will be buying an in car pc to use with teh screen... when the dorrahs allow. Can post some pics of my setup if anyone is interested...

Hi,
My Lilliput has a label on the rear suggesting to set to 640x480 resolution (std vga) your ebay link is for xga.
What is the resolution?

I'm worried about suction mounts, since my old one dropped a hx4700. how does your RAM cope with the screen weight?

Does the Dell Axim have a vga/xga output as std or have you modified it?

Cheers
BoB

Nicko
29th August 2007, 11:20 PM
It's a disappointment when people don't show us their wares! :exclaim :exclaim

UncySpam
4th September 2007, 12:41 PM
ok I will fit it all up tonight and take some piccys and post em.

The screen weight isnt an issue. The RAM mounts are built to take up to a certain weight, plus I have teh screen resting on the dash so all the weight isnt hanging on the arm.

It does VGA (480x640) perfectly, as long as your device will do the rotation to landscape properly. I had issues till I updated the f/w on my axim (which has got native vga out thanks to the same chip the hp uses) to get it to work consistantly

trakkie223
10th September 2007, 10:54 AM
Bob and John,

Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Ross