PDA

View Full Version : Free and Legit Copy of Mapsource

Dooghan
13th July 2007, 02:23 PM
Here is an easy way to get Mapsource for free and legit. Here are 3 different ways to do it.

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) .

2. Extract the contents of MapSource_####.exe (such as MapSource_6156.exe) download using 7 Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) .

3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi or MSMAIN.msi.

4. Then, run Setup.exe.

Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.

5. Garmin MapSource now installed.

OR

1. Create a folder named Garmin on local C: drive.

2. Inside the C:\Garmin folder, create or rename a file as MapSource.exe.

3. Install the MapSouce by running downloaded MapSource installation executable, MapSoruce_####.exe (such as MapSource_6156.exe).

4. Garmin MapSource now installed

OR

1. First install the trainings center software.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

2. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory, now that the directory is there install the mapsource update http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209.

3. Garmin MapSource now installed

dfgeorge
14th July 2007, 01:22 PM
Seemed to work for me. I usually use Ozi so had no mapsouce installed. Training centre didnt work as I have a serial GPS (legend), but after the upgrade mapsource worked.

gomax
14th July 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks Dooghan, works a treat with shonky maps, got my BT GPS to work with nRoute so now have lappy navigation alternative to Oziexplorer :hatoff

Dooghan
14th July 2007, 02:13 PM
Excellent. I'm glad it works.

Nicko
14th July 2007, 02:25 PM
Hmmmmm reminds me of Magellan with Mapsend.. they offered people to trade in the old version for the new for similar reasons. See how long it lasts!

Mbike23
27th September 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks a heap Doogan :mighty I've been strugling to get a decent map into training centre. Now have shonky maps and at lest get some better detail on where I ride. Also no longer need to use ozie to creat a route then confert to course before putting into the edge a long and some times furstrating process. :hatoff

:wave
Niko it still work as of the date on this post, who'd have though it would last this long

Rowds
16th June 2008, 09:36 PM
This still works :lol2
Thanks a heap

brownegaz
27th June 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info on getting Map Source onto my PC, I have downloaded it and installed it,it is now asking me for an unlock code.
I have installed the oztopo maps but cant open them I assume I need to put in the unlock code somewhere for that as well.

I was able to install the oztopo maps direct to my GPS unit as they were supplied on SD card from GPSOZ but I want to be able to access these maps on my laptop as well, I assume I am doing something wrong, I was supplied with a 25 digit unlock code with the OZtopo CD.

Thanks for any assistance
Gary

Nicko
27th June 2008, 12:06 PM
what else did you download? If you didn't download Training Centre then you didn't read it properly ;)

Dooghan
27th June 2008, 03:43 PM
In Mapsource NOT training Center click on the Utilities menu, Unlock maps and follow the wizard.

Nicko
27th June 2008, 04:38 PM
ah, I misunderstood.

brownegaz
27th June 2008, 08:32 PM
Just to make sure I understand this clearly, I open mapsource click on the Utilities menu, Unlock maps and follow the wizard,is this where I put the 25 digit unlock code I recieved with the OZTOPO Maps CD, Im sorry to be a pain in the **** but this all seems like a long winded way of getting $260 worth of software up and running
:mighty :brainache

Thanks
Gary

Michael
27th June 2008, 09:16 PM
Just to make sure I understand this clearly, I open mapsource click on the Utilities menu, Unlock maps and follow the wizard,is this where I put the 25 digit unlock code I recieved with the OZTOPO Maps CD, Im sorry to be a pain in the **** but this all seems like a long winded way of getting $260 worth of software up and running

You are not a pain in the asterisk for asking legit questions.
It can be confusing when you start out.
Yes that is the process. It is fairly quick & easy when you have a go.
In MapSource select;
Utilities (top)
Unlock maps
Next
Select "Yes, I have a 25 character unlock code", next
Select "I have a 25 character unlock code. I will type it in", next
Type in your 25 digit unlock code, next
Close
This website is worth reading:
http://www.oztopo.com/v2_faq.htm

brownegaz
28th June 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks very much for your help Michael, I now have Map Source and OZtopo maps up and running as well as access to tracks 4 Austalia and Shonky Maps which I had downloaded previously.
I am taking off from Perth in few weeks to drive the Gibb River Rd and noticed that the Oztopo map does not show the whole of the Gibb River Road however the free T4A maps show it all, Im a bit miffed after forking out good dollars for the Oztopo maps but hey,this is all a learning curve so no real problem.

Thanks again
Gary

Michael
28th June 2008, 08:46 PM
I have found Oztopo v2 better than T4A in most areas.
The free update to OzTopo, v2.1 is due out "any day now" :hatoff but may not be available before you go :sick3
Hope the trip goes well. :wave

Nicko
28th June 2008, 10:52 PM
The money in OzTopo also went to buying all the bitumised roads of Australia. You will find there is little difference between T4A and shonkyMaps. Do not be surprised when a new Garmin Topo map comes out next year with everything.

Davepatrol
21st July 2008, 02:20 PM
Can anyone tell me what the USB ANT Stick is that needs to be plugged in to finish down loading mapsource

Nicko
21st July 2008, 02:50 PM
what is the message and what have you plugged in the PC? ANT is the facility for one Garmin to talk to another that have ANT capability such as edge 705 or Forerunner 405.

Davepatrol
21st July 2008, 03:30 PM
to ensure a successful installation, follow the instructions below:
connect your USB ANT Stick tm to your computer.

once windows has installed the drivers, click "NEXT" below to continue with the setup.

This was to down load Garmin Training Center for shonky maps & T4A, I had a cardreader pluged in a USB port.
Thanks Dave..

MadFish
22nd July 2008, 07:10 AM
Hi Dave,

Hopefully I answered your query in my pm to you on the 4WD Action site. As mentioned I think that download has to do with initiating an external antena. :wave

Cheers
MadFish

freddyflatfoot
15th August 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for those that gave me advice on downloading the 'free' mapsource software.
I had downloaded shonky maps first, then the training centre, then the mapsource software.
First time I opened Mapsource, I had the Shonky Maps come up straight away! Sweet!
Now I just gotta work out how to use the maps! ;)
One thing I did notice, is that the amount of detail in my home town is severely lacking. How do I fix that?

mlenser
15th August 2008, 03:16 PM
One thing I did notice, is that the amount of detail in my home town is severely lacking. How do I fix that?Simple - Join OpenStreetMap (OSM) (www.OpenStreetMap.org), then grab your gps and start mapping! Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
After you've done some mapping of your area you can download the results from either HERE (http://users.tpg.com.au/users/stevez/OSM/index.html) or HERE (http://www.osmaustralia.org/index.php). To add these to your GPS you can either use 'MapSource Map Manager' (M3) (http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25) which is free or 'Image to Mapsource' (IMG2MS) (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~moth/indexgpsenglish.html) both of which add the maps to Mapsource. You can also use either sendMap (http://cgpsmapper.com/download/sendmap20.zip) or MAPupload (http://www.mapwel.biz/download/mapupload.zip) which can send the maps directly to your gps.

Neither of those maps are auto routing although there are experimental auto routing maps being created from OSM data available from HERE (http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html).

If you want to see what I have achieved in the past year look HERE (http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=-38.18575687168124&lon=146.44875630007616&zoom=12&layers=B000F000)

Best Regards,
Mike.

freddyflatfoot
15th August 2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for that Mike,
Give me something else to do while I'm riding my bike around!
One Q though, if we can download (or is that upload?) tracks to Google earth, why can't the reverse be true, and download Google maps for use on a GPS? (Did I say I was green?)
Rob L

mlenser
15th August 2008, 06:56 PM
Basically they own the copyright for the map data and at this stage they will lets us view it online (where they can sell advertising?) but they do not give it away for free. We are not even allowed to trace Google Maps Satellite images for the OSM project because of copyright issues.

Regards,
Mike.

Nicko
15th August 2008, 06:58 PM
in fact they don't own the copyright, they "leased it" from other map providers such as PSMA.

chet
1st September 2008, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, I'm very new (<24hrs) to GPS and my lovely little Nuvi 760. Can someone please explain how I get Mapsource installed? Do I need to buy OzTopo too?

edit: quite accidentally, I found out how to install mapsource. I simply installed the training package, then I was able to download and install the mapsource "update". All working now!

I need to figure out how to use ShonkyMaps now.

Nicko
1st September 2008, 11:00 PM
check out the video section http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

ptrolos
29th November 2008, 05:12 AM
Once I've installed Shonkimaps into my Nuvi 760, do I lose my "Where is" that came with my Nuvi? or can I switch between the two?

mlenser
29th November 2008, 07:10 AM
You can turn them on/off individually from within the GPS menu system (although its not always easy to find the first time).

Nicko
29th November 2008, 07:31 AM
You do not install additional maps on the GPS itself but an SD card that slots in the side of the GPS. The only time the onboard map is overwritten (or should I say, should be overwritten) is when you do a map update.

ptrolos
29th November 2008, 09:28 AM
GREAT! Downloading now.

MadFish
1st December 2008, 11:00 AM
GREAT! Downloading now.
Hmmmm, I am sure I just read your question on another site??
:welcome Shonkymaps are great and use it often. Thanks Shonky. If you want to spend $$, OzTopo V2 is very good I am told. Its on my wish list.

Cheers

GIStechy
23rd April 2009, 06:30 AM
:sailing: I have successfully installed the Garmin training centre, the upgrade and ShonkyMaps, but when I start the training centre up it asks me to connect my GPS (GlobalSat BU-353 USB), but it doesn't recognise it. Is there a way around this or do I need a Garmin GPS?

Nicko
23rd April 2009, 07:50 AM
What made you think a Garmin software product is designed to work with a none Garmin GPS?

Yes, you need a Garmin GPS.

Michael
23rd April 2009, 08:04 AM
But you do not need to start (open) the training centre to open MapSource.
Assuming you just want to view ShonkyMap on your PC.

GIStechy
23rd April 2009, 07:02 PM
thanks Michael - very helpful...I will give that a go

sgk
31st May 2009, 04:34 PM
still works - 31 May 2009.
:mighty
Thanks a bunch. Now I just have to work out how this all works - just bought my first Garmin after owning TomToms and am keen to get offroad maps in there.
More research to be done - but this is off to a great start.
:)
sgk

Dooghan
22nd August 2009, 05:19 PM
I've updated a the first post with a couple of different way to install Mapsource.

Nev
22nd August 2009, 06:07 PM
Dooghan

While we are at it.
This might just work too.
UnZip, run the .reg file and install Garmin MapSource.
Not too sure about the ethics of these various methods, but I guess they all achieve the same end result.

TiredFeet
3rd September 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info on downloading MapSource - worked a treat.

eden
4th September 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Dooghan, works a treat with shonky maps, got my BT GPS to work with nRoute so now have lappy navigation alternative to Oziexplorer :hatoff

hey gomax, how did you get the blue tooth GPS to work? do you need an emulator or something?

4x4er
5th September 2009, 08:06 AM
You are not a pain in the asterisk for asking legit questions.
It can be confusing when you start out.
Yes that is the process. It is fairly quick & easy when you have a go.
In MapSource select;
Utilities (top)
Unlock maps
Next
Select "Yes, I have a 25 character unlock code", next
Select "I have a 25 character unlock code. I will type it in", next
Type in your 25 digit unlock code, next
Close
This website is worth reading:
http://www.oztopo.com/v2_faq.htm

I dont have the relevant unlock tab in the utilities section..... what to do now ??

cheers

mlenser
5th September 2009, 08:29 AM
The unlock process is found from the Utilities menu and is the first item in the Utilities menu - it is not on a tab? If its not there then in the folder C:\Garmin\ (or whichever folder you installed Mapsource) look for a file called UnlockWizard.exe and run that. The Mapsource menu runs this file to unlock your maps. If the file does not exist then read http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5393 and see if that helps.

4x4er
5th September 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for that, helped me out a heap.
But now I need a 7 character registration code......

can anyone help me here please.

cheers

mlenser
5th September 2009, 09:24 PM
I assumed you had purchased some maps that were locked and needed to unlock them to your gps. If you were not provided with unlock codes then your product doesn't need them. Shonkymaps, OpenStreetMaps and Tracks4Australia are all free and unlocked and do not require any further process than installing them into MapSourse. Products like City Navigator, OzTopo and Garmin Topo come with MapSource on the dvd and are all sold with their respective unlock codes.

oskeete
9th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Thank you very much! I find it funny how easy it was to get around their restrictions. I guess they didn't put that much effort into protecting it.

Nicko
10th November 2009, 06:21 AM
They don't know what they are doing, I think it depends on the weather on the day they release it.

Michael
10th November 2009, 07:55 AM
I think they are not too concerned about MapSource.
As it is not a lot of use on it's own.
They are hoping you will spend money & buy their maps.
But nowadays with Shonky, OSM etc...........

dakotagal
15th November 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the download hints - the 3rd option finally did the trick :hatoff

I've successfully downloaded a couple of waypoint tracks from the WalkGPS site into my brand new Dakota 20 and I'm not feeling like quite as much of a technophobe (pity it took me 6 hours to get this far though! :ash )

1TuffGU
17th November 2009, 05:21 PM
I have tried all 3 options (several times) and i still cant get it to work i keep getting this msg "There is a problem with the product 8500 installation. Please reinstall product 8500 and start mapsource" what am i doing wrong :confused :confused Richard

dakotagal
23rd November 2009, 07:41 PM
That's a new one on me - my errors were all related to the download detecting that I didn't have a previous product installed. Option 3 did the trick because it finally had something to update. Maybe you just need to delete everything related to Garmin and start with option 3? But then again, I am a complete technophobe so what would I know ;-)

dakotagal
23rd November 2009, 07:47 PM
Just wanted to celebrate following my first downloaded track yesterday - awesome coverage with my new Dakota, easy to read in any light conditions, dead on accurate. I'm just stoked with it! Looking forward to more fun once I find the patience to read the manual..... :wave

Nicko
23rd November 2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Dakotagal,

You are glad you chose the Dakota in the end I see :)

Don't forget to donate your tracks please. have to be zipped up first.

Dooghan
24th November 2009, 01:59 AM
I've got a full copy of Mapsource on CD. I needed to install Mapsource onto my netbook which has no DVD-ROM. I used option 1 and mapsource installed. It did give me this is only a upgrade error but it did install it self. I just had to make a link onto the desktop and all was fine.

aky525
27th November 2009, 07:29 AM
Firstly thanks to all the detailed resonses to other queries, i have used them to get this far and appreciate the efforts you guys go to.

My issue is, i have downloaded Shonkymaps and Mapsource but when i go to import the detailed maps and contours from the shonky file to map source the format is not accepted by mapsource. Im lost!!

The only map of any real value i can see is the shonky full topo and when i transfer these maps they are in Nero burning file mode??

Any support would be great, im thinking the $299 for the maps may have been easier, but i will keep trying :hot:

Nicko
27th November 2009, 08:28 AM
you have probably downloaded the Shonkymaps version that goes directly into the GPS rather than the one on your PC. Each version in the first post id la labelled appropriately.

aky525
27th November 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Nicko,
i followed the shonky directory to shonkymaps_3.51.zip and downloaded that. Im thinking its the format of these files, any ideas?
Simon

shonkylogic
27th November 2009, 01:18 PM
If you unzip shonkymaps_3.51.zip you will see a file called setup.exe. You need to execute this on windows (double-click) to install the maps into your PC (and mapsource). Once installation is complete, open Mapsource (assuming you have already installed it previously) and you should see a drop down allowing you to view the shonkymaps.

Big_Red
17th December 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Guys,
i bought a Garmin GPSMAP76CSX and installed mapsource 6:15 ok.
I tried to download shonky maps from 3 different spots with a download manager with no luck ... kept saying the files were corrupted so i ordered the Disc and microSD

wacked in the microSD into the GPS and all seems ok there.
when i tried to put shonky, T4A and CA3 in to the PC they seemed to go ok but when i tried to start up Mapsource it says
"there is a problem with product 8500 installation ... please re-install product 8500 and start Mapsource again"

any ideas what that means?

Wahroonga Farm
17th December 2009, 01:41 PM
Product 8500 is contours V3 (5m) or CA3.

So go to Add/Remove programs and remove Contours Australia 5m.

Check that Mapsource is ok. Then try a re-install.

Big_Red
17th December 2009, 01:46 PM
Product 8500 is contours V3 (5m) or CA3.

So go to Add/Remove programs and remove Contours Australia 5m.

Check that Mapsource is ok. Then try a re-install.

thank you for that :mighty

Damian73
23rd December 2009, 05:27 PM
You are a deadset legend!! Thanks very much!!!!!!!

I used option 2 - very simple, very effective... and I'm using Windows 7 if anyone cares...

psytrakker
25th December 2009, 08:42 PM
The 3rd option (as follows) worked for me after the first 2 failed.
Thank you very much.
--------------------
http://www8.garmin.com/support/coll...ct=999-99999-04

2. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory, now that the directory is there install the mapsource update http://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ails.jsp?id=209.

bazzman
31st December 2009, 07:45 AM
Neither of the 3 solutions for installing mapsource are working for me. I keep getting errors about the program not being able to find files etc. eg I was unable to install MSMAIN.msi at all and this is needed to install the setup file.

I ended up using img2gps as recommended by another website. This was successful and the map is on my SD card. How do I view the Australian map from here in canada on a nuvi 250??? ie how do i know that when I go to australia, i will be able to view the map and use it??? It shows up under map info, but that's it....

The Explorer
31st December 2009, 08:56 AM
Neither of the 3 solutions for installing mapsource are working for me. I keep getting errors about the program not being able to find files etc. eg I was unable to install MSMAIN.msi at all and this is needed to install the setup file.

I ended up using img2gps as recommended by another website. This was successful and the map is on my SD card. How do I view the Australian map from here in canada on a nuvi 250??? ie how do i know that when I go to australia, i will be able to view the map and use it??? It shows up under map info, but that's it....

Hi
Basecamp is a free download and now supports (most) non-DEM Garmin format map data so messing around with Mapsource is not 100% neccessary anymore (though Basecamp seems a bit slow in comparison).

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435#Instruct

To test your map enable it in the map info section and disable other maps...then zoom out and pan across to sunny Oz then zoom back in to see what youve got.

Cheers
Greg

Simon F
28th June 2010, 03:52 PM
I have managed to get MapSource installed. I have also downloaded Tracks4Australia which is sitting in a folder on my C drive. What I cannot seem to do is get the maps across to Mapsource. Can anyone 1. Advise me whether Tracks4Australia is an OK mapset and 2. point me in the right direction to get them as a file I can drop onto my SD card and stick it in my Nuvi 760? Thanks.

Michael
28th June 2010, 03:59 PM
Forget T4A, it is old & out of date.
Shonky is much better.
Read 1st post of the following thread carefully.
Then follow the link of your choice.
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2525
also:
http://www.shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Simon F
28th June 2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that. I see it is a big download so will leave it till the morning. I have Mapsource already up and running. I am across in Queensland in July. Flying into Cairns and driving down to Brisbane over a couple of weeks. Let's hope ShonkyMaps does the job.

XJgas
17th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Here is an easy way to get Mapsource for free and legit. Here are 3 different ways to do it.

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) .

Is there an alternative/previous version of Mapsource to download...

It seems this latest version is "ONLY an UPDATE" now - you must have an "existing Mapsource product" - & will not install.

I thought there was a previous thread mentioning about a Yahoo Link (which sorry I didn't bookmark)... would this be an "Alternative"!! if I may be "pushed there" by a link etc it would be much appreciated.

OR ... does Garmin Basecamp do much the same... "mentioned in a previous thread."

sorry about possible missing on previous thread info - I am in "Information Overload" right now. :crutches

The Explorer
17th July 2010, 04:47 PM
Is there an alternative/previous version of Mapsource to download...

It seems this latest version is "ONLY an UPDATE" now - you must have an "existing Mapsource product" - & will not install.

I thought there was a previous thread mentioning about a Yahoo Link (which sorry I didn't bookmark)... would this be an "Alternative"!! if I may be "pushed there" by a link etc it would be much appreciated.

OR ... does Garmin Basecamp do much the same... "mentioned in a previous thread."

sorry about possible missing on previous thread info - I am in "Information Overload" right now. :crutches

Hi
All (most?) of all the previous mapsource (and basecamp) versions are here.

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/

No idea which version you need to solve your problem.

Basecamp does "much the same". Its free to download so general advice would be to try it and see if it does what you want. Criticism in past of Basecamp was that it’s a bit slow (compared to Mapsource) but not sure this issue is universal for all users or if it could be classified as a major problem.

If Mapsource doesn’t work then plan B (Basecamp) is logical path.

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
18th July 2010, 06:42 AM
Did you load Garmin Training Center first?

XJgas
18th July 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks heaps for all this excellent info & links etc.

I got mapsource working.... after downloding a few versions from the link (getting the same message on being a download only)... so how exactley, not sure - but it's on!! & working!!

Yeh did the Flash Training thingo...
... loaded Shonky & got a couple of Maps sections from FRaser Island up to Gladstone exported over & running on the Nuvi 265W SD card... brilliant!!!!

Can't thank this Forum enough in such a short time:hatoff

Much to learn still.... better keep reading.

Thanks again - Grant

Wahroonga Farm
18th July 2010, 03:52 PM
I loaded

1. Garmin Training Centre

then

2. the latest Garmin Mapsource from Garmin

on a new W7 install 3 days ago ... :)

carsten
23rd July 2010, 01:16 PM
I loaded

1. Garmin Training Centre

then

2. the latest Garmin Mapsource from Garmin

on a new W7 install 3 days ago ... :)

I have a MapSource disk (from the GPS purchase), but am now trying to install it on a Notebook without an Optical drive (and without an external CD drive) - so need to find an alternative method.

I tried the GTC quickly this morning without success - must have missed some step in my rushed attempt.... :sick3

Now have the entire weekend to make this work!

The Explorer
23rd July 2010, 01:25 PM
snip
I have a MapSource disk (from the GPS purchase), but am now trying to install it on a Notebook without an Optical drive (and without an external CD drive) - so need to find an alternative method.

Download it?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
23rd July 2010, 04:10 PM
If ... Mapsource is already 'installed', you may need to remove it first and clear the Mapsource registry entry.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?p=47925

Post #3

Albany Canucks
2nd September 2010, 03:19 PM
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

2. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory, now that the directory is there install the mapsource update http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209.

Doing it this way worked beautifully for me. Thank you!

Downloading and viewing the OpenStreetMaps on MapSource took a bit of figuring out, until I discovered that the routable *.IMG files found at http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php are designed to be used on the GPS unit and can not be viewed directly in MapSource! Duh! Instead I needed to download the osm_routable_mapsource.exe file created by following the procedure here:
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
See Treadly's instructions about that here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=46552&postcount=10), and also see this thread (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11410).
In case it's helpful to anyone else, the step-by-step instructions and examples on this page were particularly useful for explaining this:
http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2513

The Explorer
2nd September 2010, 03:46 PM
snip

Downloading and viewing the OpenStreetMaps on MapSource took a bit of figuring out, until I discovered that the routable *.IMG files found at http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php are designed to be used on the GPS unit and can not be viewed directly in MapSource! Duh!

Another possible option is to use Basecamp which allows the viewing of maps installed on your GPS on the PC (though it doesnt work with serial gps units).

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Also has more functions than Mapsourse, though its a bit sluggish sometimes so if it has nothing you need, sticking with Mapsource is probably better.

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
2nd September 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Albany,

Have a read of this (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14623) GpsAustralia thread for Garmin Mapsource solutions to the key OSM download (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download) sites including the excellent 'state by state' .img's from osmaustralia (http://www.osmaustralia.org/index.php) .

Albany Canucks
2nd September 2010, 08:46 PM
That's helpful, so it can be done using MapSourceToolkit.

In terms of the maps themselves, is there any difference between the IMG files downloadable from http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php or the maps when downloaded via http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php ?
Obviously the first method gives you an IMG file that you can directly put on your GPS or convert for MapSource, whereas the second method actually installs the files needed onto MapSource - but is the detail and content of the maps essentially the same?

Dooghan
3rd September 2010, 02:45 AM
garmin.na1400.info don't update there maps that often. Normally every few months. OSM Australia update there maps nightly. It's good to me as I get to see any changes I make to OSM in my area the next day on my GPS. The other thing about OSM Aust map is once they are installed in Mapsource you don't have to uninstall to update. Just download the new maps and copy over the old maps.

Wahroonga Farm
3rd September 2010, 05:56 AM
There is plenty of choice and you really need to work out which of the many OSM map sources suits your particular needs.

As you have discovered, some of the maps render the exact same source data differently ie the map compilation processes differ. There are a number of different tools that may be used to compile a Garmin map from OSM raw data. Some folk like to compile there own maps from the raw data. :)

As the various OSM Garmin map compilation tools are improved, the quality of the maps and rendering are also improving. e.g. As you are aware, an area where OSM has a Garmin map rendering problem ... is the Ocean (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Coastline). There is an OSM coastline rendering tool, designed to overcome coastline mapping irregularities; but not all 'mappers' use it. Openmtbmap does.

Or as Dooghan has mentioned elsewhere you could apply a coastline shape file.

Blue stuff can be hard to come by. :)

kbosward
3rd September 2010, 07:52 AM
I find when I switch between OSM Australia, openmtbmap, Shonky and City Navigator in Mapsource that the openmtbmap map seems horizontally "squished", i.e. I see more on the left and right edges of the map than I do in the other maps.

Ken.

sandgroper39
1st October 2010, 07:05 AM
Dooghan you are a genius. Thanks for the fix. I bought a Garmin Vista HCX with no software and now I am online Bliss

DustyM
10th April 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for Map Source instructions, they still work. I've now got Shonky onto my SD card, but Mapsource won't pick up Contours Aus. How can I get Mapsource to load Contours Aus onto my SD Card?

kiwitonita
17th April 2011, 07:27 PM
Did you select and send both maps at once (in the one session)?

If not, try again after selecting all the maps you want, then send to device.

A short MapSource tutorial is very helpful: MapSource Tutorial: Selecting and Saving Map Sets (http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html)

crossneedle
9th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Hey guys,
With regard to the very first post (#1)

The 1st and second options did not work for me at all, so I had to resort to option three.

In the 3 rd option I have tried the LATEST dnl/update for Training Center (3.6.5), to start a new install for MapSource on my clean old 'puter (Vista).
Well it did not work..... TC (365) is secured and will not accept Mapsource. This was confimed by the authors in Yahoo groups.

As suggested by them, using an earlier version TC (353) was the solution and the latest Mapource update 6163 was accepted.
So just a warning, do not necessarily use the latest update. All and every thing work smoothly now.
But very frustrating to find Garmin "doctored" the latest TC, so it could not be bypassed.

dunn
18th October 2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I must be a bit of an idiot, but it just won't work for me.

Mapsourse working with shonkeymaps, thanks very much for helping there. But after connecting and asking Mapsourse to transfer data/maps to PC, only routes & waypoints show and no map details available. Zumo 550 with CN Aus & NZ NT 21012.10, as installed from new purchase 2 weeks ago.

Any help please!!

mossy rock
28th January 2012, 05:29 AM
as a new member and not savy with the forum protocol not sure how to begin.. I have a eTrex, black and yellow 12 channel no model number or serial number. I have the co-ordinates for a long, straight 10 metre wide access through dense scrub to a mountain destination. Not wanting to suffer consequenses of stumbling onto someones dope crop, I need to install the approach co-ordinates into my entry level gps. Garmin told me I could do that with Basecamp then they told me that wouldn't work, install Mapsource. I wouldn't be able to use all the functions but could program in my co-ordinates.
I was excited when refered to this thread however have to advise I freeze up on tech jargon. Dooghan in July 2005 posted the proceedure to free download Mapsource and instructs on how to. Option 3 of the post seems the easiest to me but when I went to the suggested site I coulnd't identify the downloads refered to under 1. and 2. of the thread. Perhaps they're no longer available ? Sugestions
anyone?

don.thomas
28th January 2012, 06:37 AM
High Mossy-rock, as an alternative, if you're not likely to be using the computer software for much else you can manually enter the co-ordinates in the waypoint section of the menu page. It is fiddly but dead easy. Make sure your position format and map datum settings in "units" / "setup" in the menu page correspond to your written co-ordinates(you'll to do that for the software method any way, but in the software settings).
Do you have a serial port on the computer and a connecting lead to the GPS. I have the same (I think) receiver (EtrexH) and I just bought the program on CD and a connecting lead from Nicko (see the online shop link on this forum), postage time was about the same as me sorting out all the downloading stuff:)

mossy rock
28th January 2012, 03:55 PM
don, thanks for your interest. your right i wont be using the software often i mostly use a compase and a solid stick.
ok I open 'units' but i dont understand "make sure your postion format and map datum settings correspond to your written co-ordinates" What i see in 'position format' is hddd*mm.mmm' and in 'Map datum' I'm not sure what I'm suposed to look for in the multiple choices given.
I have a serial port cable. My Etrex is the model before the H series. It was given as a hand me down and came without any cd. Ron

don.thomas
28th January 2012, 05:27 PM
don, thanks for your interest. your right i wont be using the software often i mostly use a compase and a solid stick.
ok I open 'units' but i dont understand "make sure your postion format and map datum settings correspond to your written co-ordinates" What i see in 'position format' is hddd*mm.mmm' and in 'Map datum' I'm not sure what I'm suposed to look for in the multiple choices given.
I have a serial port cable. My Etrex is the model before the H series. It was given as a hand me down and came without any cd. Ron

The Map datum setting depends on where the co-ordinated you've been given come from, so the same co-ordinates will be inslightly different actual places depending onthis. Really only important I guess when working off paper maps (dirrectly or indirectly) or when entering co-ordinates by hand. If youdon't know I guess just go with the default of the GPS and hopefully it won't put you in the neighbours dope plot. I think I usually use Aus Geod '84 as most of the paper maps we use are that (or close) - there is a defaults setting down the bottom if all else fails.
For the position format, slightlyless confusing, just select the same as the format of your co-ordinates, so hddd*mm.mmm means the co-ordinates are in degrees and decimal minutes, if you have the co-ordinates in degrees, minutes & secs then select hddd*mm*ss.s.
Don

dougmacnr
21st October 2012, 02:45 PM
Hi Dooghan,
Any Idea how to view older blue charts Garmin preprogrammed stick style on a PC?

Cheers

Glenndev41
12th November 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi all, first let me tell you I'm a complete novice at all things GPS. I tried downloading Mapsource using Dooghan's third method by downloading Training Centre Version 3.6.5 from the list.Seemed to load ok up until the finding new devices dialogue box popped up then repeatedly refused to recognize my new Garmin 450 (message was that it found incompatible devices). I figured that possibly wasn't essential to the download process so went ahead with the Mapsource update download. All went well until the death when it informed me that no previous Mapsource version was loaded so the install was aborted. Damn!! so after running the Training Center exe file a couple more times with exactly the same result I uninstalled it and installed the later Training Center with ANT Agent (whatever that is) Version 3.6.5 with exactly the same result. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Help! Oh, and I'm on a PC not Mac.

Cheers Glenn

Nicko
12th November 2012, 07:27 PM
You have to download Basecamp, it's free then install the maps. Mapsource is only for legacy products

Nev
13th November 2012, 01:35 AM
If you still want Garmin MapSource.

IN THIS ORDER:

1 - Install Garmin BaseCamp
2 - Install Garmin MapSource

Done.

Give me MapSource for map transfers etc. anyday. :thumbsup Don't expect full compatibility though with the some of the latest Garmins.

Glenndev41
13th November 2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks Nicko & Nev. I'll give Basecamp a crack and let you know how it goes.

Cheers Glenn

Glenndev41
13th November 2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks again guys, worked a treat! Basecamp, Mapsource and Shonkymaps all installed in that order perfectly as instructed. I've had a bit of a play with both, watched the training videos etc... all looks pretty simple but time will tell. I gather the next step is to transfer Shonkymaps to the GPS sd card? At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, do I need to load Mapsource and/or Basecamp to the GPS or does Shonkymaps simply work with the preloaded global map software?

Cheers Glenn