PDA

View Full Version : New Magellan Handhelds

The Explorer
8th August 2007, 10:08 AM
No idea if/when they will be released in Australia. Looks like Garmin is being left behind!!

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=18505&trv=1

https://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=425

I WANT ONE!!!!!!

Cheers
Greg

binns1012
8th August 2007, 01:21 PM
Nice ! I have always had a Garmin but the 500 looks good for me
regards Tony

Nicko
8th August 2007, 08:55 PM
They are not available in USA yet either, I'll keep you posted. I suspect they are the replacement for the Meridian series but with so many models, it will probably replace the eXplorist series too. I am gathering the USGS map compatibility means our shonkymaps will also be compatible.

The Explorer
8th August 2007, 11:12 PM
They are not available in USA yet either, I'll keep you posted. I suspect they are the replacement for the Meridian series but with so many models, it will probably replace the eXplorist series too. I am gathering the USGS map compatibility means our shonkymaps will also be compatible.

Yes release in US, according to news release, is September. Bet I have one in my hands before you do:). Not sure how you have come to the conclusion that USGS map compatibility = shonkymap compatibility but I wouldn't be getting one if the best I was hoping for was a "shonkymap" :sick6 I may be getting excited about nothing but will see what evolves. Bound to keep all the GPS/Map geeks busy for another few years whatever the case.

Interesting to note that the cheapest model is quoted at $129US = ~$160AUD and the flashest model is $499US =~$600AUD

Unbelievable.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
8th August 2007, 11:22 PM
$129 is equivalent to an eXplorist 150..... if one existed. Thus I predict a price of AU$279 RRP. You have a choice, either the basemap they supply or ShonkyMap... I know which I prefer.

The Explorer
8th August 2007, 11:43 PM
$129 is equivalent to an eXplorist 150..... if one existed. Thus I predict a price of AU$279 RRP. You have a choice, either the basemap they supply or ShonkyMap... I know which I prefer.

Hi Nicko - you only mentioned two of (at least) three choices - main one you missed was getting DAST topo (or whatever). Works fine on imported GPS units and has detail that will never be surpassed by shonky et al.

Investing in a GPS with map capabilities and then using the basemap (or similar un-detailed map) is like buying a V8 and getting the 4 cylinder option. Why? Cant remember the last time I even saw the basemap on my Magellan GPS.

Look I understand the costs involved but by Jingoes by Crikey, if you are going to actually use the GPS for purpose intended, cost is justifiable....Though I must admit, making your own maps is good fun, and is my ultimate aim (assuming no better option). Go for it.

Forgot - I was suppose to shut up :blah

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
9th August 2007, 01:21 AM
I call ShonkyMaps, T4A Pro encouragment. I also note the price difference between Hema Great Desert Tracks for PCs and the Magellan equivalent is no different between USA prices and AU prices for handhelds. Same goes for Garmin products. I agree, if you buy a mapping unit you should include a quality map, but ebay is in existance because people want a bargain. This is why I encourage people to view ShonkyMaps and T4A Pro as an alternative to a basemap that is laughable and encourage to donate tracks POIs etc to ensure that we don't have to pay $300 for what is price killing the GPS market.

I do not agree to pay for maps that do not justify the profit that is clearly from duo-monopoly and to this end, just like, Linux, OS Commerce, Open Streets, Open Office, Mozilla, Firefox etc etc etc exist and will continue to provide quality products. All those products I use (except for Linux cos I'm scared to play with it and open streets cos I haven't got around to it yet) and they more than adequately do the job and in some instance do a better job of it. It can said the same in the GPS world, ShonkyMaps and T4A Pro would not exist if Garmin did something that ND did and that is invest in maps that are needed. If ND gave free basemap or minimal cost basemap charges then I would be less inclined to be "frustrated" and be happy to buy the maps I need.

Not to sound argumentative, but I have to disagree with the point that if someone wishes to invest in a mapping unit should also invest in maps that cost money; if Craig can produce a map that I find sufficient for 95% of users and of detail that Garmin have not bothered to produce then let these individuals bask in their triumph, hard work and desire to do something that the big boys don't think they can make enough money out of us.

I know that you have a tendancy to like your Magellan but I have a tendancy to like Garmin for many reasons that turns people away from Magellan and the only one thing I can give a positive to Magellan is the choice of maps. However, choice of maps does not include regular updates because it is something Magellan don't know what that means.

A good example of that is a thread that mentions the lack of a track in the Dast topo that was in Dast1, I don't blame ND for the Magellan woes, but I do find their desire to meet the demands of companies such as DSE by selling Magellan at excessive prices to compensate for it unacceptable.

This is the other reason why I want to see Festy be successful and no doubt will create some adjustment in the pricing structure that we end users have to pay.

I have been in the selling GPS game since 1995, and worked for one of the distos, and have seen the massive profits gained by the distos and it stinks as an end user!

:soapbox

The Explorer
9th August 2007, 10:50 AM
No worries.

Keep up the good work and most importantly have fun.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
9th August 2007, 11:03 AM
Hello - for those interested there is now a Tritons yahoo non:) user group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tritongps/

As has been suggested it is unclear as to when or if these devices wil be released in Australia or if you can get one from US and create/load existing maps. The information provided so far is a bit vague in this regard e.g. product flyer says...

"The Triton 1500 also allows users to upload third-party topo
and street maps"

"Compatible with third-party-developed topo and
street maps"

"It's easy to expand your navigation capabilities with optional
topographic maps, marine cartography, and other applications."

What this means remains to be seen. Some forum members are choosing to be pessimistic (fair enough based on previous experience), I prefer, in this case to be optimistic about the possibilities.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
9th August 2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with you on that one Explorer, I have optimism for Magellan (for the future) especially when they have produced this "radical" product with what sounds like a promise to allow people to get the maps they want. Theoretically it means that instead of Magellan spending time developing software they can concentrate on producing hardware and by the looks of things the formula this time is going to work!

arthurking83
9th August 2007, 07:37 PM
... Theoretically it means that instead of Magellan spending time developing software they can concentrate on producing hardware and by the looks of things the formula this time is going to work!

That's what I'm hoping for!!

IO mean if Magellan brings out the 1500 model for around, what?? $800?! If you were NOT tied to have to use .imi or .img map types(but could use them, because they are still compatible!!), and you could instead use a jpg or ozf or whatever format map type... would you pay for a Garmin that does need to use that proprietary map type?

Of course they wil have to sell map products at an slightly inflated price point for the 'mums and dad" GPS users, with autrorouting abilities, adn mp3 player, and voice prompts to make the driver aware that he has fallen asleep, yet again! :p .. etc, etc, and they will sell a viable amount of these maps.
But the point would be to have every Joe and Fred say I got a Magellan GPS, it's heaps better than the TumTum, or Navigator, or what ever?

How many cars I see with a GPS(TomTom or Navigator or whatever) just your average joe, with no understanding of the product, and Magellan are not getting these people!!
TomTom already has, and Magellan has lost them!

They really need to bring out a product that WILL make people dump their already good GPS, because the bells and whistles are to good to refuse!

**rant switch, back to the off position :p**

michaeld
10th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Keep us posted Greg and maybe we can put raster images on them like ozi

The Explorer
10th August 2007, 09:44 AM
Keep us posted Greg and maybe we can put raster images on them like ozi

Will do - US boys will hopefully spill the beans first on what it can and cant do so will keep close eye on Triton user group page untill such time as i have my hands on one. Dont like te chances of it using raster images, as they make no mention of it, but live in hope.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
10th August 2007, 09:49 AM
Some blurb on Vantagepoint software...still no mention of what specific image formats you can and cant use...but it does say ..."Transfer your customized maps"

http://www.magellangps.com/products/vantage_point_coming_soon.asp

Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
10th August 2007, 09:07 PM
On that web page, just underneath that first image of VantagePoint, I read this...

VantagePoint connects your Magellan GPS directly to MagellanGPS.com to simplify map downloads and organize your custom content.

Sounds ominous!! :rolleyes: